purchased a new d700 on ebay...hasn't turned up...help?

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, on 24th of august i bought a brand new d700 on ebay at auction (not BIN) for £1550. The seller is here:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/innovatechnology

as you can see, it's a registered business seller with about 750 feedback, 99.3% positive, so i assumed it'd be perfectly safe. I've been on ebay for about 8 years and have never had a problem.

Any way, after purchasing, i was emailed by the seller who told me that the item would ship on the tuesday (last tuesday) after bank holiday and that he would supply me with the tracking number. On the bank holiday monday i then received one of those automated ebay mails to say that the status of the item had changed to 'shipped' which i thought was a bit odd considering it was a day early, and obviously a bank holiday.

Estimated delivery was shown as being between 2-6 of september, which again i though was a bit odd (slow) but i accepted it any way.

Last week i sent the seller 2 emails requesting a tracking number for the camera. Both these emails were ignored. But i decided to wait until the 6th before getting stressed about it. Sure enough, the 6th came and went. Last night i sent the seller an angry email...i believe i used the word 'incredulous' which is not a word i put in emails too often.

So...unless there's a reasonable explanation here, which i suspect there isn't, it looks like i'm not getting my d700. Now, i paid through paypal so am i right to assume that i'm covered?

But how do i go about filing a claim? Do i have to do it through ebay or paypal, and how long does it tend to take? I'm guessing i probably have to wait a few more days before beginning things as well...

As much as anything, i'm just gutted that i don't have my d700 yet, as i could really use it this weekend :(

it appears they currently have no listings on ebay
from what i can read into their feed back it looks like most sales were nick nacks
I'd be worried
I'd contact paypal and ebay you can ring them
if you sued a credit card I'd also contact them

Have you tried the number given on the contacts page :shrug:

07757211255 althou its a mobile number it may be an old one or a payg and no longer in use - try that and see what happens - if anything its more ammo for you when you make a claim...

The one odd thing that stands out to me on the listing is the "2 year warranty", you can only get that if the camera comes from a UK Nikon dealer.

The fact that the majority of the seller's feedback is for £2 items and suddenly he's listing 3 x £1500 and then nothing more sets the alarm bells ringing for me, I'd suggest alerting Paypal/Ebay (it's been combined into one dispute process now) as soon as possible

when I bought my 600d off ebeay I read their feed back thoroughly
and made sure they had sold many dslrs and the feed back was for these type of purchases
the seller I used had sold over 13.5k items and only sold lenses and cameras really
They also had a uk number and i phoned this first
mine arrived and was cheap

you'll get your money back, I bought a D3 that was a scam but they refunded me OK

thanks guys, i'm going to wait until friday (3 days after item expected delivery date) then sort out a claim..

If you paid by paypal then you shouldn't be worried as they will definitely refund you if it turns out to be a scam!

Do it now rather than waiting! Report that you think it is a scam as well rather than just a non-delivery.

Looks like a scam or hijacked account to me. File a claim now. If the seller ignores correspondence then that is generally a bad sign.

Hmm, feedback looks Ok to me.

Theyve sold several other DSLR's, D50's D40's, D70's.. lots of other camera related stuff and lenses.

I'd still get onto paypal about non delivery, but I dont think they are outright scammers.

Hmm, feedback looks Ok to me.

Theyve sold several other DSLR's, D50's D40's, D70's.. lots of other camera related stuff and lenses.

I'd still get onto paypal about non delivery, but I dont think they are outright scammers.

They've sold a few (old) secondhand cameras, but no new ones.....

They've sold a few (old) secondhand cameras, but no new ones.....

Still doesnt scream scam though.. Would someone really go to the trouble of building up a 700+ feedback over several years just to screw a few £1500's out of someone?
Unless the account has been hacked, which is possible. Even still, those sorts of situations usually have silly priced goods like a D700 for £900, rather than a more sensible priced £1550.

Still doesnt scream scam though.. Would someone really go to the trouble of building up a 700+ feedback over several years just to screw a few £1500's out of someone?

If they're doing a runner? I suppose though in that case you'd think they'd have more than 3 cameras listed though.....

:thinking: or they have been "banged" up for looting :cautious:

Its a strange one thats for sure.

Well, whatvever it is, the OP will get the money back, so thats the main thing.

yeah guys, it is a strange one. The reason i've had to wait is that it seems as though you need to wait until 3 days after the estimated delivery date in order to start proceedings. So in my case, this will be tomorrow. Obviously i realise (touch wood haha) that i'll get the money back, but it's still 3 or 4 weeks without a d700 when i thought i'd definitely have one by now.

And given that the nikon new slr announcement is surely coming soon, i'm starting to renew my 'i'll hang on in there for the new ones' feelings...

Yo

File a claim on Paypal immediately, really don't wait, if they're genuine seller then they'll respond.
If eBay remove the listing then you can't file a claim as the item doesn't exist, hence no paypal claim either.
I recently filed a claim, then a day later eBay delisted the item, so the item disappears from my eBay bought history, therefore no claim would be possible but as I'd raised one I was ok. Money took approx 3 weeks to get back to my cc.

Thanks

John

Yo

File a claim on Paypal immediately, really don't wait, if they're genuine seller then they'll respond.
If eBay remove the listing then you can't file a claim as the item doesn't exist, hence no paypal claim either.
I recently filed a claim, then a day later eBay delisted the item, so the item disappears from my eBay bought history, therefore no claim would be possible but as I'd raised one I was ok. Money took approx 3 weeks to get back to my cc.

Thanks

John

thanks - ok so i have just started the ball rolling in paypal by going through the resolution centre part. At the end of it i got this message :

You successfully filed a dispute

You now have 20 days to solve the problem directly with the seller.
In the Resolution Centre you can contact the seller.

There you can also escalate the dispute to a claim in case it is not possible to reach a solution with the seller.

Should i wait now or escalate to a claim right away? Also, should i still file another complaint through ebay tomorrow morning (as i said, it's not allowing me to now as it's not yet 3 days after latest delivery date)

Last edited:
Yo

Thanks

John

Sorry, but that's nonsense, once you've made a purchase via Ebay/Paypal they can't simply sidestep their liabilities by removing the expired Ebay listing. The transaction would still show up in your Paypal history.

thanks - ok so i have just started the ball rolling in paypal by going through the resolution centre part. At the end of it i got this message :

You successfully filed a dispute

You now have 20 days to solve the problem directly with the seller.
In the Resolution Centre you can contact the seller.

There you can also escalate the dispute to a claim in case it is not possible to reach a solution with the seller.

So does that mean i have to wait a full 20 days before escalating to a dispute, or can i do that straight away? Also, should i still file another complaint through ebay tomorrow morning (as i said, it's not allowing me to now as it's not yet 3 days after latest delivery date)

Escalate it straight away, you can always cancel the dispute if the camera turns up or the seller refunds your money.

escalation done! The seller has until the 19th to respond...

when's that nikon announcement due again? ;)

Sorry, but that's nonsense, once you've made a purchase via Ebay/Paypal they can't simply sidestep their liabilities by removing the expired Ebay listing. The transaction would still show up in your Paypal history.

Yes it shows up in your paypal history, but it doesnt relate to any ebay item, so you cant make a claim. If you've started the claim you're ok, otherwise its catch 22. no item to claim against, so yo cant claim, even though you bought it.

If you Google you'll hear of similar stories.

John

Yes it shows up in your paypal history, but it doesnt relate to any ebay item, so you cant make a claim. If you've started the claim you're ok, otherwise its catch 22. no item to claim against, so yo cant claim, even though you bought it.

If you Google you'll hear of similar stories.

John

Thats balls.

Once the item has been won, its impossible for the seller to remove the listing
and Ebay wont remove it after the sale until the time for a claim is up anyway, only before.

Even if they did (which they wouldnt) Paypal would easilly see where you sent the money and why. Ebay and Paypal are the same thing, so it not like they cant talk to eachother.

got a phone call from paypal today to see if i'd heard anything from the seller, which i haven't.

I now face the problem of sourcing a brand new d700 before thursday as i've been invited to fly to france to photograph a wedding as a second photographer and i don't want to use my d90 to be honest...will have to stick it on the credit card

Thats balls.

Once the item has been won, its impossible for the seller to remove the listing
and Ebay wont remove it after the sale until the time for a claim is up anyway, only before.

Even if they did (which they wouldnt) Paypal would easilly see where you sent the money and why. Ebay and Paypal are the same thing, so it not like they cant talk to eachother.

Hi

The seller doesnt remove the listing, Ebay de-register the seller(presumeably because he's ripped someone else off).
If you dont believe me I'll point you to some dodgy sales on ebay, you buy something, I'll get the seller de-registered then see if you can get your money back :)

JOhn

Hi

The seller doesnt remove the listing, Ebay de-register the seller(presumeably because he's ripped someone else off).
If you dont believe me I'll point you to some dodgy sales on ebay, you buy something, I'll get the seller de-registered then see if you can get your money back :)

JOhn

That still doesn't remove Paypal's obligations, otherwise all they have to do every time someone wants a refund is remove the listing from Ebay and hey presto, they don't have to.

Hi

JOhn

Ive had exactly that happen to me..
I got my money back without a problem. In fact I didnt even have to chase it, they did it automaticly. I didnt realise what had happened until I saw the refund in my paypal account. If you are so confident in your belief, why dont you buy something dodgy!

Yo

Why would I throw my money away, I believe it'll happen, but I give up I was only trying to offer advice.
I'll go back to lurking.

John

Yo

Why would I throw my money away, I believe it'll happen, but I give up I was only trying to offer advice.
I'll go back to lurking.

John

You are wrong Im afraid. Ive been on Ebay since 2002. Im a top rated powerseller.. Ive been using Paypal since its inception, hell I even used Billpoint before paypal took over... I know how it works.. trust me.

got a phone call from paypal today to see if i'd heard anything from the seller, which i haven't.

I now face the problem of sourcing a brand new d700 before thursday as i've been invited to fly to france to photograph a wedding as a second photographer and i don't want to use my d90 to be honest...will have to stick it on the credit card

Sorry to read about your ebay problem.

Why not take the D90? Its perfectly capable of doing the job.

Sorry to read about your ebay problem.

Why not take the D90? Its perfectly capable of doing the job.

i'm umming and arring over it. It's doing my head in to be honest.

On the one hand i want to to a great job, even though i'm just a second shooter. I know there's going to be LOADS of 20 to 30 somethings there and if i hand out enough cards and scmoosh enough i could get a fair bit of work from it perhaps. I've suddenly in the last month or so started to get random jobs here and there and i feel that if i'm going to ever make something of photography, this is going to be a really important few months.

So i've got the d700 grip and flash cards here and ready. I'd commited to buying a d700 and thought i'd bagged this new one for 1550 notes. Turns out it's a scam, but the money WILL be rufunded to me. I'm sorely tempted to go and whack the 1850 it'll cost me to get new in the highstreet on the credit card and then pay it off when i get the paypal refund.

But...because i'm not the main shooter, and because i'm not charging a great deal for it as it's a friend of a friend and i'm viewing it as a free holiday/chance for portfolio, i'm thinking the pressure is off slightly. The d90 should be ok, although i don't know how far i might need to go iso wise...

then again, it'd be good to have a back up camera even! (ie the d90) :bang:

Back