quick advice from people that cycle

Decided i need to try and lose a few pounds one way in the past i cycled to abd from work so fetting another bike. I have 170 in argos vouchers so going use them and was thinking of getting this one i know it isnt the best but reading a couple of reviews online seems to be ok

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Pro...|rnd:18423238335379253055|dvc:m|adp:1o1|bku:1

Looking to get it today so any reason why i shouldnt

For going back and to work, I wouldn't bother with mountain bike with suspension. Get a road bike or a tourer, lighter, less parts to go wrong, and much less rolling resistance.

PS how far to work?

:agree:
Not that I know about bikes, but generally, buying cheaper 'complicated' mechanics is buying trouble

If it's a mountain bike (can't open link, sorry) with suspension, I wouldn't buy it for commuting on. Ideally I'd look at a tourer / hybrid type - the suspension will make life more difficult along the road and the tyres aren't made for the road, so will make the journey harder.

A touring / hybrid bike normally comes with larger depth tyres (say 32mm) than a road bike (25mm) so a bit comfier and soaks up the road irregularities better. I'd certainly recommend tyres with puncture guard in them.

Don't forget your helmet, gloves, clothes etc and mudguards if they're not on the bike

The only thing worse than a full sus mountain bike is a cheap full sus mountain bike.

Buy a hybrid or tourer instead. You'll get to work faster and it will be more reliable.

^this this this this this!

cannot stress enough to avoid somewhere like Argos, much better off going to an Evans cycles, maybe a Halfords .

although this route may be more difficult if you're looking to save money id look second hand for a hybrid on gumtree etc. If you need a hand seeing if a bike is good or not feel free to drop a pm.

As well as wanting to shed a few pounds, check the weight of the bike. Cheap bikes weigh a ton and you will soon grow to hate it.

I don't know whereabouts you are, so I can't recommend, but I would suggest looking for a well established old fashioned bike shop who know what they are talking about and will find one not only that fits you, but set it up (Don't Argos just hand you the box?) and match one to your local terrain and lifestyle. It might seem 'cheap' now but if you don't use it, it is mega expensive.

(My oldest bike is 30 years old, rides as sweet and quietly as anything and is still pretty lightweight).

Yes. argos do just hand you a box!, but only the front wheel and handlebars needs to be bolted on.

£170 for a new bike isn't that much and the components/frame will be a compromise. I think that you could get a good second hand bike for that money and then put the Argos vouchers to good use around the home. I would also advice against a heavy mountain bike with suspension for commuting, because even back in the 80's (pre carbon fibre) my Winter training bike only weighed around 11 kilos.

If Argos were the last place on earth to buy a bike, I would take up walking.

What about checking the brakes for adjustment, handlebar height, saddle height which will vary with every customer, checking the function of the drive chain as things do get knocked or go out of adjustment in transit. Do you know what saddle and handlebar heights are optimal?

I know what I am doing with bikes and still wouldn't buy or recommend one of these usually heavyweight dinosaurs.

It is heavy and fairly small. It will be slow and hard to cycle. Hybrid is indeed a better bet (on the downside they are more liable to tyre punctures and these are pain to sort out in the freezing cold)

Ahh have just seen you're in London. The turnover of bikes on the second hand market here is second to none in the UK, you should have no trouble at all getting a great deal on a second hand bike.
(Be wary of stolen ones though)

This one is £180 for example

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/c-boardman-race/1099739085

$_86.JPG

Gumtree and Brick Lane.......arent they where you go to buy back your stolen bike?

Gumtree and Brick Lane.......arent they where you go to buy back your stolen bike?
I picked up a 46inch sony bravia TV off gumtree last year for £160 off a seller who provided proof of purchase and invited me to their home to pick it up. It had one line of dead pixels...

Yes there are stolen bicycles on ebay/gumtree/preloved/markets whatever. But if you have your wits about you, you can save a hell of a lot of money.

How often do you think people get rid of that "new years resolution bike", usually seen one ride and is now half the price.

Nothing wrong with buying off Gumtree or similar sites as long as you know what you're looking for. Even if you do buy something stolen do you really think it's going to get found? lol. I sell on Gumtree quite often although I don't bother with expensive stuff on there. Most of the popel who look on those sites are after everything for nothing.

Now...back to bikes. I agree with everything said above. There's plenty of cheap road/hybrid bikes out there rather than getting a cheap full sus. Those cheap bikes from argos, halfords etc weight a ton and will soon tire you out, expecially with a lot of energy from peddling goes into the suspension. Get a rigid bike and all your power goes to the wheels.

I have a variety of bikes, the last full sus one I built up cost nearly half the value of my car and that never sees tarmac. It's just horrible to cycle on the road with 8 inches of suspension travel front and back, as soon as I stand up to pedal you can feel the suspension just soaking up power that should go to the wheels.

Thanks for the advice everyone its only a 15 to 20 min ride and mainly on a cycle path think ill go with more a road bike

Back