Recommend me a good Sat Nav

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Do a lot of driving these days and although maps generally get me where I want to be, they're not always spot-on so sat nav it is - anyone got a recomendation for a reliable one that isn't going to cost the earth? £100-120 is about my maximum. :)

Last edited:
thought about a sat nav solution for your mobile?

I favor the tomtom 530 for my getting about, but the new copilot and tomtom for iphone both look to be worth a squirt.

I have a cheap one (£45) that runs Destinator, it works fine but I think TomTom is better, mind you Tomtom units tend to be much more expensive.

thought about a sat nav solution for your mobile?

I favor the tomtom 530 for my getting about, but the new copilot and tomtom for iphone both look to be worth a squirt.

I was going to get an iPhone and use the sat nav app you can get but A) a baby on the way doesn't allow me to spend £350 + the subscription, and B) apparently it's rubbish comared to dedicated 'proper' sat nav systems.

My current mobile (a Nokia 3110, which is provided by work and pretty rubbish) will probably not have a sat nav option.

Anyway, I bet a sat nav unit will probably be much cheaper than a phone with a good sat nav built in. :)

After spending a lot of time researching and popping into various outlets, we plumped for a navman (european version so a bit more expensive). It beat the tomtom on two main things
1. the restaurant listings are by type i.e italian, french etc
2. the keyboard pad is qwerty (abc on tomtom)

These might be able to be adjusted on the tomtom but we couldn't figure out how to.
:)

TomTom One XL....pretty good, except it keeps telling me to do a u-turn in the middle of the fast lane of the new Glasgow South Orbital and as for using in in Edinburgh City Centre :bang: :LOL:

I had a tom Tom 520 music edition, was good , sold it as I just did not need it, but had no issues when i did use it :)

Can get a reconditioned one for 99 quid with a warranty.

I've got a Tomtom one, you still need common sense or you could end up some where very silly. Town/city centres can be a nightmare if not updated, mine had a fit when I went through the centre of Sheffield and I only had it a couple of months:bang:

TomTom One XL....pretty good, except it keeps telling me to do a u-turn in the middle of the fast lane of the new Glasgow South Orbital and as for using in in Edinburgh City Centre :bang: :LOL:

Flash news alert........madman does U-turn in rush hour...:D:D

Blames satnav :rules::rules:

Mine cost 6 quid out of whsmith, no batteries or cables required, no pushing buttons. just a plain old fashioned map and a guid Scots tongue if needed will find me most places. :naughty:

I bought a Garmin Nuvi..? which works great as a sat nav thing.... but the traffic alerts are crap, came free for the first year and then I think it's a subscription thing, waste of money IMHO!

TomTom - again...best mapping and easiest navigation I've yet used...now with more maps and upgrades available.
I bought my Dad a cheap one so he could find his way here (to my place in Germany) and he's still raving about it...

After two years my Go-720 has developed a minor, intermittent fault and even though it's out-of-warranty, they're fixing it for free...
In extreme heat, the screen stops working after a couple of hours' operation, though it's fine at anything below 35C - I think it started after it got left in the car *once* overnight last winter when the temps went down to -27C here in Germany for a short while...
The unit keeps navigating, but I had to let it cool off before inputting more instructions - it's only happened twice, but as I say, they're fixing it for free...

Garmin Nuvi 255.
European maps, full postcode search, lots of POI.
Took me around France, Germany & Belgium with no problems. Found hotels, supermarkets, petrol etc. it even had some footpaths in it!
Less than £100 at Amazon.

We have a Navman - not sure which model but it was about £100. It's always got us to where we intended to go so far :)

I've just bought a refurbed Tomtom ONE EU V4 for my inlaws from totalPDA for £92 (which is a huge saving).

It's mint, absolutely impossible to tell it's a refurb, even down to the box and included accessories. Updated the maps to the very latest for free, installed the camera updates and the mapshare modifiations. Works a treat as I tested it alongside my iDrive Nav on the way home last night.

The built in mount is awesome. The old Tomtom I had being a pain in the butt because of the mount, but this one is absolutely perfect.

the Navman S100T has £100.00 off at halfords at the moment (store only) linky

now £99.99

*edit - same price on Amazon (Navman S100)

Last edited:
There was an article on Sat Navs on this Mondays Gadget Show. Two of the presenters did a challenge where they had to work as a pushbike courier in central London, they had to pick a bike each from a selection and a Sat Nav unit to aid them.

You can watch it here

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/challenge/urban-challenge-complete

They tell you which Sat Nav peformed the best and showed them in operation.

For those who don't want to watch the video the Tom Tom One came out best. It was really helpful to me as I want a Sat Nav and was a bit confused which one would be best and after watching this I've decided to go for the Tom Tom :)

I bought a Garmin Nuvi..? which works great as a sat nav thing.... but the traffic alerts are crap, came free for the first year and then I think it's a subscription thing, waste of money IMHO!

I am onto my second Garmin, never had any major problems. The Nuvi is the range, there are a few models, mine is the 610, traffic alerts work well and are no longer subscription, and the camera alerts work fine.

The best thing about it is "Mrs Garmin's" voice:D

Last edited:
I've got a TomTom One. Very good.

There's a sale on at Halfords at moment so might be worth popping down to your local one.

One that knows it`s way around? :shrug:

We have a Garmin NUVI 250, great bit of kit. I think the Tomtom are popular with t' yung 'uns cos you can download celebrity voices and stuff for it if thats your bag...who wants Mr T bellowing instructions at you when your lost is beyond me though.

For around £52 inc delivery you can get a Navigo from Ebuyer and they are top notch units, I know plenty of people using these (me included) and because of the hardware, they can run Tomtom as well as many others!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159765

Garmen Nuvi for me too - its Fab. Recalculates really quickly if you miss turning, uses best routes avialable. Very quick to locate.
My daughter loves the 'scary voice man' option...."Let me consult me magic book" !!!
Good luck

Back