Critique Red Kite - how much cropping is ok?

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Another Red Kite, tighter crop this time.

How much can an image be cropped? I feel afraid of cropping into an image, I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but is ok to crop tight?

This image isn't great detail wise but this is 25% of the original

Gliding Red kite
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Image quality is essential for cropping and light really helps that. This one lacks in that way and it's an uphill battle from there.

A decent file can be cropped and will stand up to it very well. I'm not sure if you saw Stu's hare image? The crop retained excellent detail and off a 20MP camera. It was all about good light.

Don't forget, the frame doesn't have to be full of subject. Sometimes yes but it's also nice to have some space and environment in an image.

Image quality is essential for cropping and light really helps that. This one lacks in that way and it's an uphill battle from there.

A decent file can be cropped and will stand up to it very well. I'm not sure if you saw Stu's hare image? The crop retained excellent detail and off a 20MP camera. It was all about good light.

Don't forget, the frame doesn't have to be full of subject. Sometimes yes but it's also nice to have some space and environment in an image.
Thanks Dale, I really shouldn't have asked with this image attached :LOL: but that makes sense, I'll keep plodding on ;)

Yeah, I did see Stu's image (y)

Thanks for the reply :)

I’d have thought it depends on what you want the image for, and at what size?

Fun: doesn't matter - crop away
Screen: 1,000 pixels should be plenty (for a normal screen, not one of these new-fangled ones)
Print: multiply the inches by 300 (200 at a pinch) pixels to get the ideal pixel size
Photography forum obsessed with the latest tech: you are allowed to crop about 10 pixels from each side :D:D:D

I’d have thought it depends on what you want the image for, and at what size?

Fun: doesn't matter - crop away
Screen: 1,000 pixels should be plenty (for a normal screen, not one of these new-fangled ones)
Print: multiply the inches by 300 (200 at a pinch) pixels to get the ideal pixel size
Photography forum obsessed with the latest tech: you are allowed to crop about 10 pixels from each side :D:D:D

the only rule is there are no rules ..your not selling the image , its your own choice on how far to crop or indeed what crop you use a lot of mine are done in 16:9 but thats a personal choice ... you can read and take advice from the others on here but whether you apply that or not is up to you .

as for the image above its fine on the wings but your starting to lose a bit under the beak area . other than that I would lift the exposure . depending on your PP ,i.e in LR you could lift it a tad then apply sky replacement in PS that would turn it right around

the only rule is there are no rules ..your not selling the image , its your own choice on how far to crop or indeed what crop you use a lot of mine are done in 16:9 but thats a personal choice ... you can read and take advice from the others on here but whether you apply that or not is up to you .

as for the image above its fine on the wings but your starting to lose a bit under the beak area . other than that I would lift the exposure . depending on your PP ,i.e in LR you could lift it a tad then apply sky replacement in PS that would turn it right around
Thanks, I use Affinity, I had thought about a sky swap on these Red Kite images to change the image but felt it was cheating :LOL: I will have a go and see what I can come up with (y)

With any luck we might get some sun soon :LOL:

I agree with the black fox, most everything is subjective and that a little more exposure would help with the colors and detail but other than that I think it looks pretty good.

I agree with the black fox, most everything is subjective and that a little more exposure would help with the colors and detail but other than that I think it looks pretty good.
Thanks Kirk

Back