Critique Red Kite

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Just reworking some old images from last year. Being November the sun was low in the sky and the bird was flying towards the sun, getting the 'eye' in focus and well exposed, whilst still trying to get detail in the wing shadows was challenging. Setting aperture at 2.8 was deliberate to blur the background.

13-11-2022 Red Kite 3.jpg

Nikon D500 + Sigma 70-200 2.8 sport @ 180mm 1/1000th f2.8 iso 500 HH

Lovely shot Steve. Can't have been easy with that background either!
Thankyou, my plan was to stay at f2.8 so that the trees would blur, but that made focusing real hard with so little depth.... and they move rather fast, especially at low levels :)

Studied this one for a bit, I think some harsh critics might moan about the fact the wings are caught and you don't see any movement, however, knowing these birds like I do you caught that moment beautifully. I really do like the detail in the wing feathers and that they are reflecting the green of the pasture too.

I'd be very pleased if I took this myself.

Studied this one for a bit, I think some harsh critics might moan about the fact the wings are caught and you don't see any movement, however, knowing these birds like I do you caught that moment beautifully. I really do like the detail in the wing feathers and that they are reflecting the green of the pasture too.

I'd be very pleased if I took this myself.
Thanks for taking your time to critique, I am revisiting this location in the coming weeks and will try a slower shutter speed !

A very nice image of a very nice bird.

It looks like it might be in a glide there (I could be wrong), if so you probably wouldn't get much wing tip blur anyway. Underwing shadows can be challenging but I think you've got it about right, there's detail with not much blocking.

It's sharp.

I think you should be happy with the image, they don't hang around.

It's interesting about the wing blur. I once had a judge say he liked my owl photo, even though there was a bit of wing tip blur, so is it just personal preference?
They are so blooming quick, I think it is quite a feat to capture it against this background.

Back