Requesting Website feedback

Name
sid
Edit My Images
No
[couldn't find a more appropriate section to post this]

www.blottedcanvas.com

Would really appreciate some feedback from the community. Any tips, suggestions would be great. I am new to wordpress etc.

I would like to point out
- This was more of a learning exercise than anything, to showcase some of my work.
- It has quite a few gaps which I intend to fill with your feedback and my own discoveries (for instance, some have reported loading is slow)

I generally avoid PP (just because I tend to ruin my photos trying to PP), aside from minor corrections to exposure etc. You may notice some anomalies in the photos easily corrected in Photoshop but I have left them in

www.blottedcanvas.com

Thank you in advance.

I like how the website is fully responsive, it scales very well. I also like the 'living images' effects that is very cool.

Personally I hate the first impression, and yes I know hate is a very strong emotion. First impression is something totally amateuristic, something resembling being developed in MS Frontpage 98 ;) The reason for this is the busy background pattern, it is distracting and doesn't add value in my opinion. But even more so, the images aren't framed, yet they are spaced very far apart. I think if you remove all spacing and just a plain background it would work very well.

Further more when you navigate to another page, the menu jumps to the top to then come down again. Something isn't quite right there.

Other than the home page, you are also loosing your footer.

Hope that helps :)

I like how the website is fully responsive, it scales very well. I also like the 'living images' effects that is very cool.

Personally I hate the first impression, and yes I know hate is a very strong emotion. First impression is something totally amateuristic, something resembling being developed in MS Frontpage 98 ;) The reason for this is the busy background pattern, it is distracting and doesn't add value in my opinion. But even more so, the images aren't framed, yet they are spaced very far apart. I think if you remove all spacing and just a plain background it would work very well.

Further more when you navigate to another page, the menu jumps to the top to then come down again. Something isn't quite right there.

Other than the home page, you are also loosing your footer.
Ouch :sulk: But fair points, I really appreciate the direct feedback. Thank you! :) This is my first attempt, very crude and it absolutely has gaps. I was also hoping to have something more than just a basic photography website, hence the choice of theme. I am now thinking whether I need to keep it simple and just focus on showcasing my snaps.

Thank you again for your feedback. Have noted all your points and will review.

Doesn't load. Got fed up waiting. Also, no 'title' for your page, that much did appear. Just use flickr, maybe?

Doesn't load. Got fed up waiting. Also, no 'title' for your page, that much did appear. Just use flickr, maybe?
As said. Will not load at all on mobile, on 4G with good signal. Can't comment.

Eventually it loaded to my laptop. Over 600 lines of code just for that home page, no wonder it takes so long to load. Seems a bit 'bloated'. What did you use to create it? Galleries require a password to view? About page a bit strange in content.

Very odd. It is pretty quick on my slow broadband and on mobile. In fact it works really well on mobile.

I am now thinking whether I need to keep it simple and just focus on showcasing my snaps.

I prefer 'simple'. Let your work do the talking. I presume your wish to attract people to look at your images, so show them in a concise and easy manner. It's better to do something simple well, than to do something complicated poorly.

Hope this helps.

Back