RGB Lighting

As someone who prints, I appreciate the CMYK idea.

(y)

Edit - a crop like this would make a great banner for... something.... Or a cool pano... Not sure if it's useful but my eyes were drawn to the position of the fingers so neatly composed right under the eye. That's where the draw is for me... (Just my opinion as always!)

Screenshot 2023-12-29 235810.jpg

Last edited:
Now that DOES work - great experiment.
As someone who prints, I appreciate the CMYK idea.

(y)

Edit - a crop like this would make a great banner for... something.... Or a cool pano... Not sure if it's useful but my eyes were drawn to the position of the fingers so neatly composed right under the eye. That's where the draw is for me... (Just my opinion as always!)

Thank you, Toni and Ian.

First time for me using Red, Green and Blue lights, felt strange with no white..

I'll have a play with the placements to find other effects and shadow colours.

Thank you for the crop edit, Ian, I nearly posted a crop myself but I made the mistake of trimming the sides too and it didn't look right, but the long ratio works (y)

Yep, I like that also.

I'm just starting to play around in the house with flash (on and off) so will keep my eye on these posts for inspiration. Right now I'm messing around positioning the flash stand in different places to the subject and trying different power levels. Trying to do it all on manual mode as figured better to start at the deeper end. Great stuff you've done though.

Looks great how did you get that shot? Did you have the various colours on at the same time or is it a PS / affinity type of blend / merge?
Cheers (y)

This is my first go, so take this with a pinch of salt..

1 shot, 3 flash heads, for these shots I had them to my right, first around 1mtr away, then spaced about 400mm apart, Blue, Green then Red, about 2mtrs from Em, all aimed at her face/body so they blend to near white.

All 3 lights need to be balanced (some gels need a little more light power) and WB in camera needs tweaking, then I played with contrast and saturation in software to lift the lighter colours as yellow is hidden and Green is pale.

Thanks for sharing the tech behind it. I don't have three flashes (but you know what us armature photography folk are like lol). I have some gels with my little M12 macro flashes..wonder if they will work (although don't have a stand for them either lol).

Great stuff though and thanks for sharing the methods behind the scene

Thanks for sharing the tech behind it. I don't have three flashes (but you know what us armature photography folk are like lol). I have some gels with my little M12 macro flashes..wonder if they will work (although don't have a stand for them either lol).

Great stuff though and thanks for sharing the methods behind the scene
No worries :)

I've OCD, so collecting gear is easy :headbang: :headbang: :LOL:

I think the macro flashes may struggle on full body, but may work for a head shot or creative small item work.

Broom handles, boxes and Gaffer tape can make light stands ;)

Very nice creative portrait style captures Gav, liking these pic's very much.

Only just seen these, You and Em have finished 2023 on a high note and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images in 2024.
Thank you, Christopher, much appreciated (y)

No pressure then :runaway: :D

Back