Road trip on cheap Scotland with Camera

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Finally sorted it...Just me and the missus.. no pesky kids... last week in June

Accrington in lancashire up to Edinbrough.. see the city couple of hrs... then continue on up to Inverness taking A9 route... 2 nights travelodge £84 .. While there have a trip to John O'Groats just to say we have been.. see the dolphins at Chanonry point .. Then it's Inverness to glasgow taking the more scenic a82 route visiting loch ness and ben nevis as well as other sceneic stops.. 4 hr trip going to take all day to do....... travelodge in glasgow £40 and explore the city next day..... then drive home..

4 days
1000 miles
£120 fuel
£124 travelodge

Loads of photo apportunity :)

Any must see places on a9 or a82 not to miss other than whats right under my nose anyway..

PS...I love driving :)

Last edited:
Which Travel lodge are you staying in? Chanonry point is a great place been a few times but yet to see a dolphin, more than likely my timing

Inverness-John O'Groats is about three hours give or take a few hundred cyclists at that time of year, 7 hour round trip if you spend a while there. Dolphins, only on the incoming tide starting about an hour after it turns, you might have to hang around a couple of hours before they show (if they don't show there's a nice lighthouse to photograph) so take something warm to wear :)

A82 there's Urquhart Castle in Drumnadrochit, Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, Glen Coe and the Buchaille Etive Mor mountain, The Rest and be Thankful too.

A9 Stirling to Inverness, lots of bright yellow average speed cameras so be warned, stop off at Blair Atholl for a cuppa

To be honest, trhats too much driving and not enough time to explore, you'll be rushing around, quick snap and off.

Sounds interesting though, I'm still deciding what to with two weeks. Any issues with midges around that time?

Can i add that there are allot of road works around Loch Ness at the moment on both sides traffic could be slow.

Can i add that there are allot of road works around Loch Ness at the moment on both sides traffic could be slow.
Hopefully they'll be finished by June :)

Inverness-John O'Groats is about three hours give or take a few hundred cyclists at that time of year, 7 hour round trip if you spend a while there. Dolphins, only on the incoming tide starting about an hour after it turns, you might have to hang around a couple of hours before they show (if they don't show there's a nice lighthouse to photograph) so take something warm to wear :)

A82 there's Urquhart Castle in Drumnadrochit, Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, Glen Coe and the Buchaille Etive Mor mountain, The Rest and be Thankful too.

A9 Stirling to Inverness, lots of bright yellow average speed cameras so be warned, stop off at Blair Atholl for a cuppa

Some good points here, except the rest and be thankful isn't on the A82 so you'd need a detour from just South of Glen Coe for that.

It is a lot of driving and time wasted up the A9 to John O'Groats. I'd perhaps be tempted to head West towards Ullapool then back down to save time or alternatively straight back down and spend more time from Inverness to Glen Coe. Skye is beautiful but you won't have time sadly. Research Glasgow for specific points of interest as they're a tad more spread out than Edinburgh.

Enjoy and hope you've got a rest planned for when you return home! :)

Last edited:
Sounds fun.
Don't forget to add a chunk of cash to that budget for food & drink ;)

I live in Edinburgh- great place to visit or stay in.
Parking is fine if you know where to go, otherwise it might take you an hour to find a parking spot.
Two easy places to park within walking distance of tourist sites are:
Castle Terrace car park (Google is your friend)- easy access to Princess St Gardens below Edinburgh Castle,
the car park at Queen's Drive just behind Holyrood Palace - Holyrood Palace, Scottish Parliament, Arthur's Seat

Which Travel lodge are you staying in? Chanonry point is a great place been a few times but yet to see a dolphin, more than likely my timing

theres two in inverness so went for the fairways one.. cheaper is all :)

Cheers never thoughts.. will google best times ta:)

A82 there's Urquhart Castle in Drumnadrochit,

Yeagh thats the plan for loch ness viewing :)

Been warned about the speed...... Blair Atholl? OK markes that thanks:)

To be honest, trhats too much driving and not enough time to explore, you'll be rushing around, quick snap and off.

Sounds interesting though, I'm still deciding what to with two weeks. Any issues with midges around that time?

Depends how you look at it.. I love driving.. its the best aprt of the trip for me... doesnt take too long to look round places to be fair....done rd trips before... got plenty of time..

I live in Edinburgh- great place to visit or stay in.
Parking is fine if you know where to go, otherwise it might take you an hour to find a parking spot.

thanks...parking at Dalmeny as not far off main route to inverness and train into center.. prefer that approach with big cities :)

John O'Groats is a bit of a dump :) and it's a heck of a drive from Inverness to sample the delights of tacky souvenir shops and dubious cafés.

to be honest its one of them... been there trips.. am going lands end first week in august in a down south rd trip so thought good to get both in...

theres two in inverness so went for the fairways one.. cheaper is all :)

That one looks out over the golf course lots of little deer on there most mornings. Not sure if you know they do not do a cooked breakfast just a packed lunch type thing.

I ahve only been to scotland for football. ice hockey and work...so minimal stays really.. this will be the first trip round the place proper... looking forward to stunnign views especialy on way down a82.. I do enjoy driving.. its a 3 series bmw 2 litre diesel such an easy car to relax and drive...thought about the miles.. but i have all day and can stop as many times for as long as want as its a rd trip rather than traveling to a destination for an holiday.. the holiday is the driving and lots of stops.. so what looks like a 2-3 or 4 hr journey on paer.. I can take 10+ hrs and call it a great day out

thats the plan .. midweek end of june.. although i expect traffic.. nothing like in july and weekends :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what you capture. Hopefully the weather is kind to you.

That's a good time to go, just before the Scottish (Edinburgh) school holidays at the start of July (Glasgow is the second half of July).
Midges should be fine then too! They get worse from July and in to August.

Weather tends to be good then, and gets worse for school holidays!

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what you capture. Hopefully the weather is kind to you.

This will be from a non landscape photographer haha.. I only do sports really.. I know a nice view when I see one.. so just take pics of them and hope for the best... this will be the first time I take my work camera on holiday with me ..

That's a good time to go, just before the Scottish (Edinburgh) school holidays at the start of July (Glasgow is the second half of July).
Midges should be fine then too!

Looked into midges.. said dusk and near water main problems... so will take ppropriate creams ect thanks :)

Scotland has some of the best landscapes you'll find anywhere and well worth seeing

However, I agree with the comments about the distances and time. If, with the stop you are planning in Edinburgh and others you'll need on the way for food and views, you manage an average of 40mph on your run up to Inverness, you'll be doing well. I realise as you are staying in Inverness you might not be too fussed about when you arrive but its going to be about 9 hours on the road. The A9 is a great road but, as noted above, there are average speed cameras and even midweek in the summer, slow lorries, tour buses and caravans are going to be common.

Think I have been lucky at Chanonry Point as I have been three times and had excellent views of Dolphin each time, but know others who have seen nothing, but as said already you need the right time of the tide.

Although there are a lot of interesting places north of Inverness toward John o' Groats, there won't be much time to take them in and I agree there is not much at J o' G itself.

I would agree about going west from Inverness, either towards Ullapool or towards Torridon.

Things to see - just about everything, but if you go down the A82 have a look at Glen Nevis. There is a car park at the end of the road in the glen (though likely to be busy in June) and there is a short walk from there to the Steall falls. The A82 goes through Glencoe and there are lots of stunning views on the way.

Midges are definitely around at dusk and near water but unless the summer is VERY dry you are never very far from some water in the Highlands. It is not just dusk; a cloudy day or even a shady area in the middle of a sunny day and midges could be there in force.

Anyway I hope you have a great time.

Dave

However, I agree with the comments about the distances and time. If, with the stop you are planning in Edinburgh and others you'll need on the way for food and views, you manage an average of 40mph on your run up to Inverness, you'll be doing well. I realise as you are staying in Inverness you might not be too fussed about when you arrive but its going to be about 9 hours on the road. The A9 is a great road but, as noted above, there are average speed cameras and even midweek in the summer, slow lorries, tour buses and caravans are going to be common.

But thats the point.. its a road trip.. 8am in morning and it doesn't matter if we only get to inverness at 10pm .. we wont.. but it doesnt matter.. we are doing nothing but traveling up the first day.... overnight then the only thing planned next day is 'and back :)

My longest road trip was accrington to benidorm taking in a night under the Millau Viaduct and a stadium tour in barcelona

Although there are a lot of interesting places north of Inverness toward John o' Groats, there won't be much time to take them in and I agree there is not much at J o' G itself.

Like I say.. its a ticking off the list thing.. don't want to go that far up and just ignore such a famous landmark

Things to see - just about everything, but if you go down the A82 have a look at Glen Nevis. There is a car park at the end of the road in the glen (though likely to be busy in June) and there is a short walk from there to the Steall falls. The A82 goes through Glencoe and there are lots of stunning views on the way.

yeagh a82 is the one.. I didnt want to go up and down same route but i have set all day aside.. nothing but driving down the a82 all day wed :)

Anyway I hope you have a great time.

Dave

THANKS :) I will enjoy it... and take pics to prove it haha :)

If you like a drive you could do the Applecross run from Inverness in a big loop over the Bealach ne Ba (twisty windy single track road over the mountain) and back via the northern coastal road, if you like views you'll be in wonder on that trip. I did this run yesterday in about 4 1/2 hours with only short stops though you can stop off in Applecross to eat etc. I had only one stop and that was an obstreperous highland cow saying "f*** off with yer damned Korean car a'm standin here as long as I like" I finally got it to move by hitting it on the head with a Malteser :LOL: Dash cam missed the good bit though I was looking forward to posting it.

This is the bit heading up the mountain on the way to Applecross.

View: https://youtu.be/_bHuS7V6mWw

I would have spent more time in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow.

Shame also your not spending long in Edinburgh, we could have organised a meet up

Anyway I hope you enjoy your trip

One more thing to mention is the fact that the days are really long in the north at that time of year, which often means difficult bright light for landscape photography almost all day. Well, that's when the rain stops of course. :whistle:

And here's a view of the Bealach na Ba from the top.

2519830-bf6a40138da8a682.jpg

Last edited:
And here's a view of the Bealach na Ba from the top.

I've driven that road umpteen times from January to December and I've never yet had a clear view from the top :LOL:

We done a road trip a couple of years ago, up the east coast, along the top and down the west coast
Wick was really good for a wander with a fine museum filled with old photos, if I remember right, the museum was the local photography business
John o groats is a let down but I got to see my first real life puffin up there, lots of them. Loads of interesting wee roads down to the beach/cliffs on the way up if you have time
The coast along the top is just the bit in between until you hit gold. The scenery and roads from cape wrath south to Ullapool are just beautiful if you go that way
I've been to chanonry point lots of times and think I've only failed to see Dolphins once. It's got really busy over recent years but still a great spot
If you can stretch a couple of days more you'd definitely find it worthwhile I think. The roads just don't allow speed

That's a good point about Chanonry Point, it can be like the first day of the sales down at the waterline sometimes so take a long lens.

[QUOTE="Ian W, post: 7229029, member: 24821"

It is a lot of driving and time wasted up the A9 to John O'Groats. I'd perhaps be tempted to head West towards Ullapool then back down to save time or alternatively straight back down and spend more time from Inverness to Glen Coe. Skye is beautiful but you won't have time sadly.[/QUOTE]

Would agree re john o groats and better head to west coast, lochinver, stoer, clachtoll, kylesku bridge, loads more.

Your timings are going to be difficult as that's a lot of driving on s**t roads- really suggest that 4 days in edinburgh alone would only scratch surface

However, have a great journey when it comes

[QUOTE="Ian W, post: 7229029, member: 24821"

It is a lot of driving and time wasted up the A9 to John O'Groats. I'd perhaps be tempted to head West towards Ullapool then back down to save time or alternatively straight back down and spend more time from Inverness to Glen Coe. Skye is beautiful but you won't have time sadly.

Would agree re john o groats and better head to west coast, lochinver, stoer, clachtoll, kylesku bridge, loads more.

Your timings are going to be difficult as that's a lot of driving on s**t roads- really suggest that 4 days in edinburgh alone would only scratch surface

However, have a great journey when it comes[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about John O' Groats, a lot of driving and not very much to see when you get there. You'd get 'more for your money' in the west, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you've got your heart set on JO'G. Four days in Edinburgh? My wife comes from Edinburgh and I lived there when I was at university, still visit quite often, but I'm not sure I could find enough to occupy myself for four days. What did you have in mind?

I could spend 4 days in galleries and museums in edinburgh and not see it all. Photography wise there's plenty to do in centre plus bridges, sunsets, sunrises, portobello, east lothian

Probably depends if your point is to say ive been there, i've lived in edinburgh area for 25 years now and no shortage of things yet to be ticked off list or photographed

Pfft! Edinburgh can wait though, it's just a hop and a skip from Accrington so it can be done on a weekend run :)

Who's having 4 days in Edinburgh ?

I've skimmed the thread so apologise if I've missed this but not seen anyone recommending a visit to The Kelpies yet. You could come from Edinburgh along the M9 to Falkirk, visit the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel if you fancy, and then carry on to Stirling to join the A9?

Who's having 4 days in Edinburgh ?

Either there's a post missing or I'm going mad, either is a possibility to be fair. I was sure I responded to someone who had been to Edinburgh at uni, had a wifr from area and visited loads of times and didn't think there was much to do. If I've gone mad then apologies

Back