Robin... my new best friend (Updated).

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I cant believe that theres still some life in the waxworms that I bought back in January. They look a bit deflated & some are definately 'past it'... erm ... as in dead! ;)
Ive ordered more Waxworms today as the Robins really do love them and are now coming closer & closer to get them... still not hanging around long though.

I shot these using the canon 100mm f2.8 about half an hour ago.
Im pretty pleased... but hey ... this is macro so I want to get even better now Im getting close but, Ive never been much good with this lens so we shall see.
Excuse the table, I know its not ideal.
No PP done at all, just crop & slight sharpen for web.

2416073616_2821543ec2_o.jpg

2416073706_ab725133f9_o.jpg

Pretty damned good those. Now you've done it - I might have to get the camera out. :woot:

They are excellent Glo ... (y) ... soon be on your mitt at this rate ... :D

And Cedric ... :cautious: ... go on go for it with your new Mammy ... ;) ... you know you really want to ... ;)

:p

Good-with nice light.

Can't see the shot (as I am at work and some photo sites are blocked), all I would say is keep at it with the worms. My mum has trained one to take them from her hand...

Lovely crisp shots. Handy tip, put a branch on your bird table. Then place food behind it. Hopefully you can get shots of Robin on branch.

Ahh so he was the one that nicked my bait from my fishing box :LOL: GET HIM QUICKLY :LOL: :LOL:

Really like the shots (y)

Great new friend you have there Glo (y) Great shots :clap:

100mm too, that's impressive (y)

You did well there. Well done to that you used a short lens.

Lovely shots Glo, that looks like a slim robin compare to the ones in my garden that look like tennis balls on legs :LOL:

Very nice. Sod being bothered by the table getting them to come closer is working quite well.

Lovely shots, Glo. I have a pair of robins nesting in the ivy on the garage wall... looks like waxworm time for me.

How big a tub do you buy... says they only last 3 weeks.

They are really good

Thanks for the feedback folks, really appreciated, especially after my rubbish shots from Sunday's outing ;)

How big a tub do you buy... says they only last 3 weeks.
Thats the bit I dont get Janice, I really expected them to be totally useless now, and though they are looking a bit flat, and to be fair there are plenty dead, theres also still a few live ones.

This is where I get them under Ven's advice, and this is the order I go for "A28063 Waxworms - 1 large tub (250 worms) £7.95 "

Hope that helps ... look forward to your pics :D

Vince, thanks for the advice. I did have a bit of a go with a few branches last week. I even 'spiked' a few worms, so the Robin would have to hang around a bit to get them, instead of just zoning in and snatching them away.
As you can see from this shot ... I need to give that a bit more practice! :LOL:

picjpg-Robin--branch.jpg

Yep - she's getting far too good at this. :cautious:

Glo, try just placing some stones/large pebbles on the bird table and sprinkle the food over them so they have to work a bit to get it. The food tends to drop out of sight in the gaps so it doesn't spoil your shots and the stones make a nice natural setting.

Aw! thanks Carole (y)

CT I think you just want me to finish my nails off lugging big stones around! :LOL:
Ill give that a go actually... I think I know where theres a few decent shaped ones that wont break the table!

I've seen the nails - they're ****ed anyway! :LOL:

Well my new wrigglers (waxworms came today)
Urgh!!! theyre digusting :puke:
Ill never be able to handle these fresh ones, much too juicy and thin-skinned.
The Robins are loving them though, I dont know who had the biggest fright this morning when I was trying to put some out ... the Robin who landed on me ... or me!
Either way, we both shot up in the air in surprise, lol!

So anyway, I finally got a pic of him/her on the branch :woot:
Shame its got chopped off bits on it, but hey .. its on a branch!
Light was a bit contrasty & possibly needs some noise removal on the bg ... but hey ... did say its on a branch! :D

2421972070_232f53fa15_o.jpg

Just seen this thread - bloomin' impressive shots Glo! Pin sharp and wonderfully captured!

A pleasure to view!

Thank you John ... I really appreciate that :)

I think I surprised myself with these :LOL:

He! he! thanks LL ... and glad you noticed the branch ... as I didnt want to go on about it or anything! ;)

Another great snap of the little fella (y)

Nice and sharp on the eyes and plenty of detail in the feathers.......you going to have stop gluing them to the branches though :nono:

Now that's what I'm talking about innit! :clap:

Not only on a branch, but nice and sharp where it needs to be, and well processed - I don't see it as being overly contrasty. Your best bird shot yet I reckon.

A very plain bg like that will always show the noise more, particularly when it's quite dark, but i don't think it's excessive in this shot.

That pic works on it's own :)

I agree....once the images are a decent size I can see the detail :)

Back