Critique Robin

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Not much to say really I'm meant to be shooting waxwings,but erm well how could I not :D.

I've been lucky to have two now real mates that were robins,one as a child and one sadly I lost a couple of years back. I think the latter was a lass. For a winter she became my constant companion when at home,in the house with us in the garage with me working in the greenhouse helping me grow. I guess the best thing of all though was getting in from work. To get out of the car whistle and have a little utterly wild bird fly straight to me and land on my shoulder is something I'll cherish for ever,so this little guy is for her. Ripped my heart out loosing her especially after a very hard winter just as they were about to breed. I'll always wonder if I was right and she was female if she would have brought her kids too me,can you imagine what that might have been like,I can only dream
exif on flicky,curious how much the oof leg bothers folks

_70F3313 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

belucky guys

Stu

They are such characters, aren't they? The OOF leg doesn't bother me as it blends with the background so my attentiion isn't drawn to it. I'd be inclined to crop the empty space to the right to get the bird off centre and give it somewhere to look.

Great little characters when they get friendly ... nice sharp eye and beak, the oof leg doesn't bother me but the bit of twig top left does :)

They are such characters, aren't they? The OOF leg doesn't bother me as it blends with the background so my attentiion isn't drawn to it. I'd be inclined to crop the empty space to the right to get the bird off centre and give it somewhere to look.
Cheers Janny always lovely to hear from you and cheers for the crit,I pondered moving him or her ,who knows:)? off center at capture, felt he was looking straight at me so went more central .Cool point to make Janny,very grateful ,you have me musing my choice;) This is exactly why I always ask for crit it's so cool to have others opinions sometimes they validate choices sometimes not,but I almost always take something away for next time:cool:.

Wonderful little guys, would blighty be blighty without Robins?I want another tame one but have no chance while grafting like this ,i'm hardly ever here in daylight in the weeks hey ho springs coming:banana:

Great little characters when they get friendly ... nice sharp eye and beak, the oof leg doesn't bother me but the bit of twig top left does :)
Ooooo you rascal,:DI didn't spot that at all mate nice one Roger(y) . Frankly mate this one is a bit weird,I took a carbon copy almost of the above earlier in the day,but a bit further back,so my little mate is smaller in frame and obviously more in focus, as the dof is larger,being that bit further back,that leg is inside dof. Same perch exactly (although I didn't realise until I got home) so my focus was on deliberating which to post, Words on gratitude of a bit of crit as above for janny, Hope you lass is doing well bro
cheers muchly both

Stu

Who is looking at the leg. The eye is nice and sharp, and feather detail is great.

Super photo.

Mj

Great story Stuart (Brought a big lump to my throat ) and I love the picture while agreeing with Roger:clap::clap::clap::clap: Top man:)

Last edited:
MJ bird guys,picky buggers huh,lmao wouldn't have it any other way really,what ever the subject mind it's me I'm apt to get entranced with that eye:rolleyes: ,I mean who cares about legs oh and wings:D and tails :eek:just wish I'd have got the tip of the beak and and not clobbered those highlights, see below as framed ie not cropped

_70F3311 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Great story Stuart (Brought a big lump to my throat ) and I love the picture while agreeing with Roger:clap::clap::clap::clap: Top man:)

Ahh cheers charles,buddy she was soooo special, a close mate brought his kids round to see her. I whistle little bird comes,their faces bro,I so wanted Those baby robins too too,hmm they are so short lived mate knew it wouldn't be long, One like that doesn't come every day,the realist in me knows a damn hard winter was a player.But once that trust was there I'd call shed come ,I'll long cherish that

Many thanks both the second shot was actually taken first I was a bit captivated the second I'd backed off (probably muttering about getting my act together),light was good but she's under a tree hence the low shutter shots are HH it was pretty dark in there.

Stu

I like that one too Stuart :clap::clap::clap::clap:but there again I love everything Robin :) I can produce them to order now in our local park.

Stu

I would say too close and too central, but when you move the bird over to the right you will probably have to clean the bg up more

sweet bird in any case

Stu

I would say too close and too central, but when you move the bird over to the right you will probably have to clean the bg up more

sweet bird in any case
+1, prefer the second post. TFS

Stu

sweet bird in any case

Ey up Bill hope your good ? Too long no speak.

Fair points made by all Bill:),there's the soft sod in me at play,for sure here;). But also what that lens does when it's close,I get drawn in a bit mate. Bill i'll have a look at that earlier set,I might have been more thoughtful earlier on,who knows. I was frazzled by the wax wings by the time I took these, a day like that again will be a long time coming!! I probably just wandered over for a chat and couldn't resist piccies, No apologies though I do love em couldn't resist

+1, prefer the second post. TFS

John you are saying +1 to central but not close? Slightly baffled by your post mate.?

thanks lads

Stu

John you are saying +1 to central but not close? Slightly baffled by your post mate.?

thanks lads

Stu[/QUOTE]
Stu, I was agreeing with Bill's post. Sorry for the confusion

Many thanks David,when that lens is really close what it can do is amazing

cheers for the words mate

Stu

Super couple of shots Stu, In the second photo he looks in deep thought lol.

Back