Round 2 of the Photography Competition - RESULTS

Steve said:
Picture 8 – Silkstone – This picture is fighting for attention as your crop/framing has removed half of many of the main focal points, the clock, the Methodist Church engraving, the windows and the building itself. It has been photographed straight on and the lighting is not especially different or flattening. If you where new to photography I could understand this picture a little more, however I know you, you are along way from being a beginner and yet somehow I think that I am missing your point?
If I told you that I e-mailed the wrong file would you believe me? :eek:ops: This one was actually an attempt to show a Mondrian-esque 2-dimensional pattern in the face of the building. Didn't work though, did it? Pretty c**p in fact. Won't try that again. :LOL:

20. EosD: looking like it was taken with a wide angle or fish eye lens was the impression I got and sadly did not do anything for me. Still a very clear, sharp pic and the angles on the roof cutting into the sky are well defined. But not on my list.

Thanks for comments, the building is actually round, so it gives that impression, but then i guess if you havent seen it, you wouldnt know that!

Oh well, live and learn!

will do a write up shortlly....

Many thanks to all who've given me critique on my entry (Which I've summarised)...

Steep - "This one says more 'abstract' to me, I like the way you can see the other office block through the tunnel of the foreground one, it gave a good sense of depth to the image, not so sure the pink thing helps the shot."

CT - "My choice for 3rd place. Bold composition and I liked the strong use of pink in the foreground."

Feeson - "I kept wondering what the heck that pinky thing was, this shot just did nothing for me sorry."

KenCo1964 - "being honest I liked this and very nearly got my vote but, the pink sheet thing distracted too much for me. I loved all the squares, in the windows and looking threw the square to another building with more squares. Excellent. Just wasn’t sure about the pink thing sorry."

Steve - "Unlike some of our members the pink in the foreground of this image doesn’t bother me at all, in fact it adds to the picture by adding a extra element and offering leading lines into the rest of the scene. It is ultra modern and a complete contrast to the dark “old” architecture of the background. You have used the lines in the front and the lines of the building in the background to frame this picture perfectly on all sides and highlight the “55 North” sign which provides a perfect focal point. This is a well thought out and captured photograph that I would be very pleased with. I am very surprised that it scored so low."

Steve pretty much summed up what I'd intended to portray but with hindsight the large expanse of pink building obviously didn't appeal to the majority which I think was due to it's abstract nature so that viewers couldn't see that it's an integral feature of the building. Here's a view from the other side of the "pink thing" :)...

CRW_57972.jpg

Here you are then, my ham-fisted attempt at giving critiques....no offence is meant to anyone, sorry if i have upset anyone!

Arkady
Great texture and lines to this shot, very unusual indeed, pleasing to look at, over all nice

Aeryk01
Nice contrast of colours and lines, but the wall is a distraction for me, not bad...

Adrian
Very interesting, bright pink and tiny bit of blue in the shot, the rest looks b&w..OK but not really my cuppa, sorry

CT
Classic architecture, engaging enough but nothing really throwing itself out at me, sorry

wazza
Such an odd shot! funny old building!

Dave
Interesting shot, good angle and good lines, but didnt pique me as much as some others..

Ronny
My choice for 3rd, classic architecture, lines and nice in mono..just makes me look at this...well done, shame you got disqualified!!

Silkstone
Could have been so much better, i assume you went for something a little different but it didnt quiet come off for me. Sorry

MAtt
Good panaramic shot, but for me, though its a good technical and visual shot, it doesnt shout architecture as loud as the 3 i picked above it

Dod
Cool effect on this, but that tree irritated me a lot, sorry!

Steep
I like this shot alot, at first i though it was a reflection but on closer examination i realised it wasnt. good vision to spot the shot in the building, well done

PeteMc
Didnt have this down as yours Pete, didnt seem like your style! Its OK, its very architectural, but ultimately, its not for me

Gregeff
I like these, wasnt sure quiet what it was, but after seeing the full shots you posted it all makes sense. Again good vision for seeing the piccy tht you got.

Gary Bagshawe
Dramatic sky with a stark image infront of it, not a bad shot, but for me not the best..

Kenco
Very interesting shot, good tecture and lines in it, perhaps would have worked better for me if you had come round a little more and led us into the shot more rather than lead us to an 'out', if you know what i mean

PaulB
Nice idea, the sky could have benifited from a poloriser to bring out the colour a bit, and them trees are annoying!

Dlh
Good texture and feel to this shot, not bad at all for me!

DigitalSPG
Not as good as the one you posted after, but pleasing it is, but youve done loads better

Feeson
The popular choice, its ok, dramatic sky etc but for me, there was a better picture

Eosd
*mine* its curved, honest!

MyPix
My favourite, a classic building from a completely different angle, lines and texture and triangles! Well done.

Ppuga
A nice shot, colours are warm, but ultimately i felt it was missing something

Oz
Pleasant windmill, looks like the Jonathon Creek one, lol...Pleasing shot though, bit more colour in the trees and i think this will be really nice

Stewart
I liked this one, really wanted to see a good sky though, i suffered from the same thing the day i went out shooting, so i know the feeling

thanks to the guys that commented on my entry, left it till the last minute to get an entry in and was dissapointed with the shot as the sky was awfull, will try better next time honest :) .

Picture 11 – Steep – This is a great shot probably due to the way you have seen the final image when it was shot and then cropped it during post production to match your vision. Its almost abstract and holds your attention as you have teased us and we are constantly trying to work out what the building looks like in its entirety. Great lighting has created the ever important three dimensional appearance and has also added to this image’s appeal. I still return to the image to attempt to work out what the machines are that we can see through the windows, that little bit of confusion/mystery also adds an extra level to this image. A very worthy entry fitting of its final position.

Picture 12 – Petemc – not only did I recognise the location instantly, I also recognised your work with it being IR and shot in your style. Although there is nothing wrong with this shot technically (in fact the whole process of shooting IR is very demanding and requires considerable skill) it unfortunately contains no wow factor or visual catch. I can only add that on this occasion this image has been overshadowed by some stunning submissions from other members.

Picture 13 – Gregeff – Fourth position and another interesting, almost abstract image. Bright, vibrant and shot using an interesting angle, this shot once more uses the less is more approach and make the viewer want to know what the rest of this structure looks like. The lines in this remind me of sails on a ship, something that is far removed from the usual architecture structures we expect as subjects in submitted photos, and that also add to the originality appeal. Again worthy of its final position and after seeing the other shots that you posted of this building, you definitely chose and submitted the correct shot.

Picture 14 – Gary Bagshawe – On the surface this is a great shot. It is gritty, unusual, original and very striking. The problem that I have with this is that it’s a composite of two different images that have been joined together quite roughly. The sky is obviously taken from a different photograph and has been edited into the frame probably to make up for a bland or cluttered original background? Although a nice idea that is to be commended, the final image has been let down by the editing. I wonder if it would have taken first spot from Mr feeson if more time had been spent during the post production process.

Picture 15 – Kenco – This image instantly stood out for me, the texture and colours for an old building seem so alive. You have done reasonably well by framing the steps to run through the image but it is still a little un-involving as an image. I don’t know the location personally so it is difficult for me to recommend a different approach to framing this shot, however as both sides of the staircase are intact, by placing yourself between them quite low down would have added lead in lines from the sides and extra depth with the stairs being in the foreground. Obviously the background would be much more prominent so I am guessing that may not be as pleasing as needed, and the main reason why this photograph has been framed as it is? It still did well and many people figured it in their votes.

Picture 16 – Paul B – Unfortunately you have fallen into a common trap and shot the building from straight on. As I have said higher up in the thread, we aim to make a 3 dimensional picture on a 2 dimensional medium and this angle (or lack of it) will never do that. This shot is further let down by the two trees blocking some of the building, again they add nothing and in the main distract from the final image. It’s a noble attempt that suffers from some common photography mistakes that have been highlighted by others and myself here. Hopefully this critique will help you avoid them in the future.

Picture 17 – dlh – This is a very brave and original entry. I consistently struggle with photographing abstracts myself so have the utmost respect for others that attempt and sometimes produce stunning results from this genre. Very obviously a section of a “normal” wall, enhanced by the lighting emphasising the texture, whilst not a show stopping photograph, for me it still does far better than some of the “full building” entries that have been submitted. I can’t say that I am surprised at its final placing amongst the entries, but I feel that the position is not a true reflection of how good this photograph really is. I enjoyed it anyway and think that as a large print it really would take on a life of its own.

Picture 18 – Digital SPG – Ahh the London eye. Considering how slowly this rotates, you picture must have been a substantial time exposure which makes this all the better as you have done well to keep the highlights from being over exposed. Your framing has kept the image fresh but I feel the orange sky from the light pollution in London distracts. By using the grey picker from within the curves option in Photoshop, then selecting a neutral point (maybe on the tall building behind the Eye) you could have balanced the whole picture to reflect a more natural scene and remove the semi sci-fi appearance.

Picture 19 – Feeson – This instantly stood out from all the other submissions. Again an interesting view point of a building from an unusual angle has added real depth and also a sense of scale. The many textures from the materials used in the construction of the building and the not boring but not to busy sky complete the whole image giving it a balanced feel. Curves, straight lines, layers and shapes all add to this shot. I was not surprised by the popularity of this image and believe it to be a worthy winner in my opinion.

Picture 20 – EosD – I can be brutal here as I know Matty well enough by now ;) compared to some of the photography that you have been doing recently this is much more closely related to your earlier stuff. I am sure that this was a last minute attempt to find and capture something just to be part of the competition and if I am being honest, its shows. The building is uninteresting, seems very flat, has converging verticals at the sides and the conversion to B&W doesn’t add anything either. I am sure you won’t take any offence if I say it’s a bold attempt at a poor subject shot with noble intentions?

Wow thanks, I'm really surprised that so many people seem to like my shot, it's a very unusual occurrence for me ;)

The original shot is here, (be warned 3.5mb jpg) http://www.marnoch.org/images/ec.jpg

The cropped area is of the 1st floor foyer/art gallery bit. I originally had intended to use more of the building but cropped in tight because I liked the strong angles, it was only after that I thought of 'eyes' looking out. Tried various toning methods, played about with levels etc but nothing seemed to improve it so I left it as was.

Thanks for all of the comments guys :) Hopefully i will get around to writing some comments at some time :)

Picture 13 – Gregeff – Fourth position and another interesting, almost abstract image. Bright, vibrant and shot using an interesting angle, this shot once more uses the less is more approach and make the viewer want to know what the rest of this structure looks like. The lines in this remind me of sails on a ship, something that is far removed from the usual architecture structures we expect as subjects in submitted photos, and that also add to the originality appeal. Again worthy of its final position and after seeing the other shots that you posted of this building, you definitely chose and submitted the correct shot.

Gregeff
I like these, wasnt sure quiet what it was, but after seeing the full shots you posted it all makes sense. Again good vision for seeing the piccy tht you got.

Shot 13 Gregeff, my second place vote, a very vibrant shot full of life and shows the use of modern materials in building very well.

Thanks! Nice comments :)

13. Gregeff: I thought this was something on a ship or boat. Lovely sky and excellent shapes but as I have said before, rightly or wrongly I was looking more for sand and cement. Still an excellent pic though with great angle and colours.

Gregeff
Nice shot. I thought I was looking into the rigging of a sailing ship at first!

13) Gregeff - While interesting this did not fill the brief.

Thanks for the comments, i can see what u all mean about it looking like a ship and not really being particualy relavent to the theme. However i interperited the theme to be either Architecture OR Buildings and this was architecture :) But i was still a bit iffy about entering it because of this!

Steve said:
Picture 20 – EosD – I can be brutal here as I know Matty well enough by now ;) compared to some of the photography that you have been doing recently this is much more closely related to your earlier stuff. I am sure that this was a last minute attempt to find and capture something just to be part of the competition and if I am being honest, its shows. The building is uninteresting, seems very flat, has converging verticals at the sides and the conversion to B&W doesn’t add anything either. I am sure you won’t take any offence if I say it’s a bold attempt at a poor subject shot with noble intentions?

No problem at all Steve, i would rather have it like it is! I have 2 hates, Architecture and Landscapes, and i had to do both this month, i just dont have an eye for either! I tried to correct the verticals, but cos the building is a curve i found it quiet hard to get it looking right, the weather was crap so the light was poor which just left a bit of a dodgy shot. I must get out earlier!

Gary Bagshawe – On the surface this is a great shot. It is gritty, unusual, original and very striking. The problem that I have with this is that it’s a composite of two different images that have been joined together quite roughly. The sky is obviously taken from a different photograph and has been edited into the frame probably to make up for a bland or cluttered original background? Although a nice idea that is to be commended, the final image has been let down by the editing. I wonder if it would have taken first spot from Mr feeson if more time had been spent during the post production process.

Actually my ps skills are very poor but this is how I learn, by trying trying and trying again. Thank you for the comments but this shot is actually one shot not two. :shock: The reason it looks like it does is because of my poor selection skills.

Gary Bagshawe said:
Actually my ps skills are very poor but this is how I learn, by trying trying and trying again. Thank you for the comments but this shot is actually one shot not two. :shock: The reason it looks like it does is because of my poor selection skills.

Thats good though, we all learn from seeing something and wanting to use the same technique on one of our own pieces of work. The fact that you understand your weakness and are willing to work at correcting it can only be good. I like your approach in that you are not affraid to try something and even if it doesn't quite work how it should you are brave enough to present your work and learn from the comments and feedback. I also struggle with selction within PS but usually mask over the edges of apply a liitle blur after my editing is completed. I am sure that there must be easier/better methods of doing this but I have yet to master them. Maybe from the comments I have given and your reply here, one of our more professional PS users might kindly make a tutorial on seclections in PS that we can all read, attempt and learn from? Everyone becomes a winner that way. :)

Thanks for your honesty Gary

Good on yer Gary. Any photographer coming from film stock to digital has a hill to climb as far as PS is concerned, and it isn't easily achieved. It's so obvious mate that some of your excellent landscape shots particularly, are hindered by lack of PS skills and it's only natural that that they would be. Your shots of Snowdonia where you darkened the shots ended up with blackish tops on the hills. It was so obvious that the sky needed dealing with as a separate selection, but I didn't comment for fear of being misunderstood or being thought of as some know all smart arse. :(

As for blending two pics together Steve, you've probably described a method I use as much as anything, with your blurring or softening technique, but a lot depends on how difficult the join is. Usually it's the horizon, and mountain tops etc are much easier than foliage. Contary to popular belief some things simply can't be achieved with simple push button solutions in PS and involve laborious pushing around of pixels by hand to achieve good results.

Replacing sky.

I've just done this for a guy I work with to one of his images.

I will try an do a tutorial and get it posted as soon as.

Example.

DSCF0160a.jpg

DSCF0160b.jpg

C'mon Steve .

I'm dying to hear what u think about the last 4 pix you aint ' critiqued ' yet :)

MP 8)

Steve's committed for a week or so, and hasn't been able to post much, but no doubt he'll get around to finishing his critique as soon as he can.

CT said:
Steve's committed for a week or so, and hasn't been able to post much, but no doubt he'll get around to finishing his critique as soon as he can.

cool, no pressure,

MP :)

Back