Round 2 of the Photography Competition - RESULTS

Matt said:
No objections from me matey.

You might find you've got a bit of competition now though, some great images this round.

Without meaning to sound arsey...thats why I would like to enter :)

Steve said:
Although any fiddling would be apparent it may put some people off as they may not wish others to see which they voted for?

Nothing is ever straightforward but I would like to keep things as simple and fair as possible.

Tell me about it mate ! at least its friendly on here ! I been a mod on another site where it got VERY unfriendly ! lol

As for others worrying about being seen who they voted for ! Cant see how that would be a problem, as somebody else said (sorry forgotten already) there isnt a major prize at stake, no money etc, just the kudos of choosing the next rounds subject matter, and getting praise from everybody ! :) I personally wouldnt mind who knew what picture i had voted for, i would be more worried about people wanting to keep it secret ! ;)

Steve said:
No the problem is that EVERYONE could vote for their own if it was done in a poll therefore everyone could end up with the same scores and the comp could be a draw with everyone holding first position. Unless you mean me vote for myself under the current system, in which case that comes back to you trusting me?

Blimey that would be really sad wouldnt it !!!!! LOL what a commentary that would be ! Everybody gets one vote nobody wins !!!!! LOL

As i said trusting you isnt an issue mate, i mean what possible reason could you have to fix it, if you won every time people would soon get fed up and complain anyway ! Just trying to think of ways to get around what could be objections, thats all ! :)

sounds fine to me steve!

What I meant Steve was that if everyone voted for their own entry under the current system, not that I'm suggesting that they should, it wouild even out, and it would be the votes for 2nd and 3rd places which would decide the winners.

IMO the winner isn't the person who comes first, its the person who learns and benefits most from the experience.

Don't know where that came from :D

CT said:
Steep

I liked it a lot. Is that a sepia treatment?

Cheers CT, no it's taken at night, the building has strong halogen type floodlights that shine down the walls from the top that turn out yellowish on the image. I tried a few different tones but all made it look over worked so I stuck with some levels adjustment. Did you get the sense of 'evil' eyse looking out at you? it's what I was thinking of when I took it.

Steve by all means enter. The issue of everyone voting for themselves is really a non issue, since we all vote for 3 images not just one and while it's true that some would vote for their own, any image not worthy of more votes just won't get them.

Congrats to EVERYONE for fine contributions this month. A most excellent display of everyones techniques & creativity in capturing awesome shots.

btw, Steve... I think it would be a crime if you DID NOT enter the next one. You've done a hell of a job and we all know your character & integrity on the issue. So...by all means... shoot away, man..

Eric

The system will not be able to be cheated once I have finished Steve, so concerns on voting for ones self won't come into it.

I know you would give yourself [smilie=f: [smilie=s: [smilie=t: but measures will be put in place to stop you. [smilie=g: [smilie=g: [smilie=g:

Wow! Well done everyone especially Feeson!! And thanks Steve for doing the paper work :D

I'm extremely happy to come 4th!! What with the high standard of photo's :)

And yeh it's fine with me if you enter next time Steve, i know u won't cheat because there would be no point for you to :)

Edit:/ Just out of interest how does the voting work? Does the first choice get a heavier weighting than the 2nd and the second heavier than the 3rd etc? Or is each worth the same as each other?

Gregeff said:
Edit:/ Just out of interest how does the voting work? Does the first choice get a heavier weighting than the 2nd and the second heavier than the 3rd etc? Or is each worth the same as each other?

For every 1st place vote that a picture recieves I award 3 points, 2points for a second place vote and 1 for a 3rd position. After all votes are recieved I add up the total for each which has given me the order from highest to lowest. Where more than one image shares the same total in points, the one that recieved the highest position number votes gets a higher place (ie 2 pictures get 4 points in total each, picture one gets a 3point and a 1point, picture 2 gets two votes of 2 points, therfore pic one gets a higher placing)

Clear as mud?

Cheers Steve for Clearing that up :)

I thought that would be how it was done, seems like the best way :)

WOW 0 points, not bad for a first time entry, it was only a happy snap, of that nice wonky house in WINDSOR town centre near the castle (Not Brighton) Congratulations to the winners. (Can we have a special award for all of us o pointers. Tee hee, wazza will have to try harder next time.

Aha! I knew I'd seen it :) went to Windsor once and spent the day wandering around.

So looking at all the pics again. I see Candid and little bits of buildings and accute angles and strange ways of looking at things gets results. I am really going to have to work hard for the next round. Its most enjoyable seeing the entries at the end to see what other people think and shoot, winning is only secondary to the thrill of being part of the same gang who all contributed. Some really great shots. My favourite was the Steps, all green and old (A bit like me really) Right off now to snap a few dragons and to check out the sights.

Congrats to feeson, I am very surprised to get 2nd place but thank you. I would also like to thank (no its not an oscar speach) all of the people who offered constructive criticism. Really looking forward to the next round.

Steep said:
Shot 12 Petemc, Could have done with some perspective adjustments on the cathederal and needs rotating slightly (going by the cylinder thing in the foreground)

Nuts never noticed it :)

CT said:
Petemc

I'd never have sussed this as being Pete's work - it's so far removed from his usual style. The converging verticals could have been corrected pete and the shot just lacked a bit of punch.

Ah well :) It was a hard shot to take, a vertical panoramic. The building is simply huge and my 50mm isn't the right lens for the job. I was really stupid to show my other shots in another thread as that was definetly the better shot.

Congrats to the winners, cracking shots.

Well, I did a crit, so as I typed it I may as well post it, I'll get me coat -

1) Arkady - I was strongly drawn to this for a couple of reasons, its a well taken shot and a well spotted subject it also served as a reminder that architecture is not just bricks and glass but the whole, with no finishing touches structures have no soul. One of my 3

2) Aeryk01 - this would be a good promo shot, there is nothing wrong with it

3) Adrian - I kept wondering what the heck that pinky thing was, this shot just did nothing for me sorry.

4) CT - I think it would have been better if it was tighter in on the statue but my eye kept getting pulled to the empty lighter sky in the shot above it.

5) Wazza - The tree pulled this shot down for me and I think a lower angle on the shot would have served better but that being said I found the building itself interesting.

6) Dave - I liked this, I enjoy the way the pipes lead you in and up, only thing I'll throw at it is, for me, there is a little too much sky at the head which costs the shot some of its impact.

7) Ronny - A shot thats not singing to me I think I'd have liked to have seen the legs to give the structure some weight.

8 ) Silky - I'd have liked to have seen the full "Methodist church" wording but I knew that was what it said I guess and its a good representative picture of the type of buildings they prefer and reflects the personality of those who use it so it fits the brief.

9) Matt - this is a great shot but it did not fill the brief as well as others did for me, part of that may be the size limitation of the competition.

10) Dod - I find this quite a difficult one, it looks soft to me and I dont like the way that everything bar the roof has been desaturated but it has got the "look at me again" factor.

11) Steep - The freaky cylon's eyes, I still dont see building here, however impressive this shot is (and it is for me) I dont get any conveyance of architecture, more mask.

12) Petemc - A good shot of an impressive building. I guess you were out early in the day to get it without people in frame.

13) Gregeff - While interesting this did not fill the brief.

14) Gary Bagshawe - This took my fancy, reminding me of an elephant feeding off a tree, a bit too much at the head, slightly dark and soft but was one of my 3 for the power and being on topic

15) KenCo1964 - I loved this, a good example of architecture, the various mosses and algae look like marbling, the eye gets drawn up the stairs and under the arch you take in the fact that someone cares enough for the structure to have repair made while keeping with the original style, very well spotted and one of my 3.

16) Paul B - I found this lacking punch and somewhat dull TBH, its some trees with a nice building behind it, sorry.

17) Dlh - Interesting but I felt that this could just as easily been a path or garden wall.

18 ) Digital SPG - A good shot of the wheel at night but did not say architecture to me so while I like it I dont think it fitted the theme as well as others.

19) Me

20) EosD - This I looked at more than once simply because I kept getting the feeling that it would have had more punch in colour, I like the subject but it kept saying "show me in colour"

21) MyPix - I dont know what to say here really, there is nothing much wrong with this other than the burnt-out part of the sky but for all they are good looking buildings a differing angle may have provided better results.

22) Ppuga - the brief has been filled but its darkish and not the nicest example of a building there is.

23) Oz - On the whole is a nice pic but for me only half the shot fills the brief.

24) Stewart - This is totally let down by the sky.

feeson said:
12) Petemc - A good shot of an impressive building. I guess you were out early in the day to get it without people in frame.

The beauty of Infrared is that you can do 30 second exposures in the day and you don't have to worry about someone walking through the shot :D

Congratulations to Feeson and all those who got out there and entered. More than I can say for myself :( They were all great pics, it was tough voting for just three. Great subject for next round as well, hopefully I'll make that one, again congrats to all.

Jewel :D

Oh B*ll*x.
Sorry been busy trying to source a replacement engine for the Monty.
Two false starts and one puppy that I bought from a supposed 'mate' for £200 and now, hopefully, I'm sorted.
Managed to get into Brighton on saturday to let the Leica do it's thing tho'...

feeson said:
10) Dod - I find this quite a difficult one, it looks soft to me and I dont like the way that everything bar the roof has been desaturated but it has got the "look at me again" factor.

Thanks all for the critique :) You're the second saying it looks soft and I'd have to agree, composition isn't great either but as there was an MOD fence right behind me and a tarmac road to the left it was the best I could get. I don't seem to be able to see the sort of shots which did so well, especially Steep's shot of Eden Court theatre. The number of times I've been in, and round, there I just haven't seen that. I'm going down tomorrow to see exactly where he got that shot :)

lol dod, standing on the grass outside the bar area, at night, the shot is of the sloped roof area between the two ground floor extension bits. The theatre was shut on a Sunday though I'd like to go again with it open to try and get some ghosting movement shots through the glass windows, I think that could be interesting. I'd better hurry though before it falls down ;)

thanks for the comments Feeson...i black/whited it cos it was a miserable day when i got the shot, a blue sky would have worked wonders i think

Just a few words on this months competition entries, sorry it’s a bit late but better late than never. This month was much harder for me to choose, especially between 2nd & 3rd. considering last month I didn’t vote for any of the top 3 I am pleased that at least I got 2 of the top 3 this time. Congratulations to Feeson, in my eyes this was the clear winner and the points goes to prove it….just wish I had money on it.
There were some very good, imaginative and even brave shots in there. I tried to judge on what I thought I would expect from a magazine or such, after getting it so wrong in the last comp. Weird angles, close ups, colours textures and such, which made it even harder as that’s what most people submitted.
Anyway here goes no offence intended.

1. Arkady: Very nice door and a lovely handle, I would love to see the full door and even the building it belongs to, it makes me want to know, great texture but sadly did not fit the category enough for me to vote on.
2. Aeryk01: a lovely building, nice colour and wonderful clear sky but sadly once again, not enough for me to vote on. Too much like a holiday snap.
3. Adrian: being honest I liked this and very nearly got my vote but, the pink sheet thing distracted too much for me. I loved all the squares, in the windows and looking threw the square to another building with more squares. Excellent. Just wasn’t sure about the pink thing sorry.
4. CT: like Aeryk01 it’s certainly an architectural building but just lacked a punch, different angle or something. Sorry m8.
5. Wazza: I quite liked the building itself and its position in relation to the other buildings, unusual for me anyway. But all I could see was a coffee shop and a bald guy in the window waiting for his coffee. Sorry.
6. Dave: sorry mate but I didn’t really give this one much consideration, a little underexposed (on my monitor) at the lower part of the building and the building itself does not look very interesting to me.
7. Ronny: once again just not appealing enough for me, a good shot nevertheless and well exposed, still a little holiday-e for me, and in my ignorance went for sand and cement rather than rivets and bolts. Sorry.
8. Silkstone: sorry silkstone other than the two crosses in the window there was nothing interesting enough for me to give a vote.
9. Matt. A lovely picture and wonderful colours, in my eyes a wonderful landscape shot, I need to wander around your shot rather than being led. I think a closer more detailed shot of anyone of those buildings, especially with the colours shining out of them windows and you would have given feeson a run for his money.
10. Dod: This is a superb pic, I do really like this, lovely tints on the roofing and the background is or looks nice and soft which I think sets this off. The sloping tree in the foreground adds to the neglect this pic portrays. A brave entry and sadly not fitting my bill.
11. Steep: my second place, it’s whacky, looks like a frog looking back. I like the shape, the lines, the colour and the crop. Well done.
12. Petemc: another with a nice coloured sky and set against the neutral colour of the building. A different angle or slightly closer to the subject could have worked better for me.
13. Gregeff: I thought this was something on a ship or boat. Lovely sky and excellent shapes but as I have said before, rightly or wrongly I was looking more for sand and cement. Still an excellent pic though with great angle and colours.
14. Gary Bagshawe: congrats on second place. I thought this was a great pic but also thought it could have been cropped a little tighter at the bottom eliminating much of the ground. The sky is wonderful and the fact that the flats are leaning gives you the impression that it’s going soon. Sorry mate it says demolition to me and because of which did not get my vote unfortunately. Well done regardless.
15. Mine: out of the pics I took for the comp, obviously this was my favourite, made hard by 2 kids standing behind the top left pillar and kept sticking there heads out. The only off putting thing for me that nobody has picked up on and maybe I should have taken time to clone out are the two plastic coffee room chairs standing on the left behind the banister.
16. Paul B: once again another nice building but just no wow.
17. Dlh: another good and brave entry. And without question sand and cement, I like it, but sadly not enough to vote for in this category against so many other excellent photo’s.
18. Digital SPG: yet another great pic but I thought focused more on the wheel.
19. Feeson: the obvious winner to me and got my fist place vote, well done an excellent shot, lovely colours, nice angle. Very futuristic and looks as if it could be the scene of some sci-fi movie. Impressive to say the least.
20. EosD: looking like it was taken with a wide angle or fish eye lens was the impression I got and sadly did not do anything for me. Still a very clear, sharp pic and the angles on the roof cutting into the sky are well defined. But not on my list.
21. MyPix: reasonably safe to assume this was one of MyPix. And not the reason I gave this 3rd place. I like the never ending triangles I see in this pic, everywhere you look there is a triangle. A clever angle to shoot from creating more triangles. And a lot of texture on the front building. I think this is a very clever pic. Well done.
22. Ppuga: I also liked the angle of this but can’t put my finger on why but just did not figure for me. Sorry.
23. Oz: sorry Oz but another in my eyes that was let down by looking as if it was taken because it was there, rather than up close and personal. No intrigue or mystery could have been so much more interesting, I wish we had a windmill close by.
24. Stewart: sorry Stewart but once again with such high standards set this round I did not give yours much consideration, just no wow.
Please take my comments with a pinch of salt, they are only my reasons as to why I did or did not vote for you pics. I know little to nothing about photography and do not wish for anything to be taken personally. A very good show this month with such a high standard, lets keep it up. Good luck for the next round.
Ken.

KenCo1964 said:
4. CT: like Aeryk01 it’s certainly an architectural building but just lacked a punch, different angle or something. Sorry m8.
Ken.

You can be very hurtful when you want to be Ken :crying:

Good critique! :LOL:

Sorry mate, I was going to give you lines as well so think yourself lucky.

As many of you know I had been away up to the closing date of the competition which meant I had no time to prepare critique. Unfortunately now I have a few issues at home, but will cover every picture submitted to the competition as time allows. Due to this I will throw them up as and when each is completed so please check the thread as my posts may get mixed up with other replies.

After the thread about “giving a little leeway” I have tried to be honest with my critique and where possible expand on ways that I feel each could have been improved or made more relevant to this round of the competition. In the end though these are just my opinions and observations based on my experience and knowledge, if you disagree then that’s fine and just because I have written it doesn’t mean that it is right.

Picture 1 Arkady- As an image this is stunning, your subject matter is excellent as it is detailed, textured and interesting. You have framed it well with the handle off to the left which has increased the images impact. The exposure and focus are also spot on as we would expect from you. As an image in an architecture competition I think it works well but it says more of detail rather than architecture to me. I still rate this photography highly.

Picture 2 – Aeryk01 – I think you have suffered from the compression used as the picture is scattered with the small white lines that you get if you sharpen and then compress. Your subject offers many different and interesting possibilities for photographs; the picture that you have submitted was taken from a position that has resulted in a kind of flat and un involving result that would be fine for a brochure or advert but up against this standard of creative photography that this competition is attracting, means that it doesn’t attract enough attention to stand out.

Picture 3 – Adrian - Unlike some of our members the pink in the foreground of this image doesn’t bother me at all, in fact it adds to the picture by adding a extra element and offering leading lines into the rest of the scene. It is ultra modern and a complete contrast to the dark “old” architecture of the background. You have used the lines in the front and the lines of the building in the background to frame this picture perfectly on all sides and highlight the “55 North” sign which provides a perfect focal point. This is a well thought out and captured photograph that I would be very pleased with. I am very surprised that it scored so low.

Picture 4 – CT – I think the crop on this image has distracted from its impact. I am not sure if you where trying to show the whole building and did not have a lens wide enough or if you where showing us the detail in the tower? If the latter I believe the image would have been stronger from a more aggressive crop to remove the bottom parts of the building being in frame. I think you where drawn to both the tower and the statue to the left of it and couldn’t quite frame it properly to get the impact. Nice exposure, lighting and post-production though ;)

Picture 5 – Wazza – What an interesting, crooked, and unique building. The problem with this is that you have photographed it from directly in front which has resulted in a flat, 2 dimensional image which will always lose impact. One of the goals that we all aim to achieve is to make a 3 dimensional image on a 2 dimensional format..that being a photograph, or in this case, our PC screens. The tricks we use for this are angles and light, usually early morning or late afternoon/evening as it gives long shadows, emphasizes texture and often improves the saturation by giving warm colours. This subject shot at a different time of day, from a more interesting angle, and with better contrast and saturation would have been a much stronger photograph.

Steve said:
I think you where drawn to both the tower and the statue to the left of it and couldn’t quite frame it properly to get the impact. Nice exposure, lighting and post-production though ;)

You've pretty well nailed it there - I was trying to get the foreground statue on the lower left third, but couldn't get the angle.

KenCo1964 said:
23. Oz: sorry Oz but another in my eyes that was let down by looking as if it was taken because it was there, rather than up close and personal. No intrigue or mystery could have been so much more interesting, I wish we had a windmill close by.

The weather was ok when I took the pic but the sun and wind direction didn't help. The mill has private gardens on three sides, and a pond on the fourth which really limited my options. I took the pic from the far side, and left the tree in for some extra interest more than anything (as said above a closer crop does improve it). I also felt that close up would look crap cos the sails would be offset to where I could get at. Perhaps I'll give it another go next time they have a open day - I've had some useful comments to work from.

THanks Ken, and no offense taken! :)

Picture 6 – Dave – This picture I quite liked, although not as strong as some of the others. The lighting is good and the framing leads your eyes from the bottom of the picture, up the building to the sky at the top. Good depth of field has maintained detail and focus throughout the photograph. It is a very good picture for making something special out of an ordinary subject. Others in this round were strong images though, so although there is nothing wrong with your submission, I believe certain others were rightly placed above it in the results.

Steve and all others who have passed on some great advice re the pics Thank you very much. I am so glad TC or was it CT well thingy bob who reccomended this site did well. Thank you all for honest comments its much appreciated. I have got so much to learn.

Picture 7 – Ronny – A very famous structure which is instantly recognizable world wide. Unfortunately such a famous structure has been photographed countless times so to make yours stand out as a fresh and exciting picture needs it to have some edge or special catch. Although nothing is particularly wrong with this shot there is no edge or wow factor. The lighting is normal; the framing although good, is not unusual for Eiffel Tower pictures, and by choosing this as your subject you have made the competition so much more difficult. Basically I think that although this is a long way from being a “snap” and is a good picture, it’s not fresh or original enough. It’s a shame that you chose not to vote as you would have then been able to see your final, true position.

Picture 8 – Silkstone – This picture is fighting for attention as your crop/framing has removed half of many of the main focal points, the clock, the Methodist Church engraving, the windows and the building itself. It has been photographed straight on and the lighting is not especially different or flattening. If you where new to photography I could understand this picture a little more, however I know you, you are along way from being a beginner and yet somehow I think that I am missing your point?

Picture 9 – Matt – I know a lot more about this picture than most, I know the buildings it features, the location it was shot and also the amount of effort it takes to build a picture from 9 different photographs, matching the lighting, the lines and visualising, composing and stitching together the exposures to get a final photograph. The final picture is stunning, the subject fits the theme perfectly and yet surprisingly, the scores don’t reflect this. Although I understand why, I personally think that the size it has been displayed here and the compression that you used, where the main contributing factors to its final position.

Picture 10 – dod – The sharpness on this shot seems to be out slightly as does your subject choice, however I suppose it does qualify as a building although maybe not designed by an architect ;) I would have preferred to have seen more space around the shack and to have the whole picture in colour, on this occasion I feel the selective B&W has not added to the overall impact and enjoyment of the picture.

Thanks for the comments on my entry. I only had one day to take all my entries for this competition and the OcUK one, due to courseworks. I've got exams to study for now, but after that I should be able to enter some better shots. :)

Thanks for the comments so far. The last month has been pretty hectic for me, having moved house and decorating and all sorts of other real life things. My entry was taken in one of my few spare 5 minutes. I was going to give it a miss this month but felt I should try and enter something :eek:ops:

Promise to try harder next time round :LOL:

Back