Sams Photolabs = Poor service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
No
I thought I would share my experience with you about Sam’s Photolabs.
I have read about how good they have been and how there prints are of really good quality.

This is where the praise stop’s,

On the 20th of July I uploaded FOUR photos
On the 21st July I got a confirmation email to say the files where received.
Now the four files where in total 18mb, After ten days (30th July) I asked for an update on my order, to be told the files crashed his server, then he put the job to one side and forgot about them.

Five days after that (4th August) I asked for another update as one of the photos was a small banner for my son’s birthday, which I had to go to my local printer to make me one on the same day, Which the cost of that one alone was more the my order with Sam’s photolab.

Looks like they have deployed a new tactic of not replying to emails.

Sent another email (6th august) saying their service is shocking and there lack of communication is terrible, I have asked for a response or my money back,
Guess what?? No answer. Surprise Surprise.:wacky:

Sent the last email I will ever send him (10th August) Basically asking if he is ever going to do the Job, I suspect he will ignore this email as well.
I am afraid had he been good I would have used him probably a lot, but for a professional to “forget your order and not replying to emails” is not what I am looking for.
I need good service, reliability, and good communication.

So as of today (11th August) Still no reply or money back, :shrug:

As I said there was a lot of people on hear recommending him which is why I tried to use his service, but when you dig further into some of the posts it looks like I am not the only one whom they doesn’t answer to.
This is just my experience with them I hope yours is a lot better if you decide to use them.
:crying::crying:

I am sure that they will get this remedied, I know them to be of good characater.

thank you for the review, hopefully things will get sorted for you.

I was going to try Sams Photolabs for client prints, after the owner commented on my experience with DSCL. However, in light of the service you received, I am more than happy to stick with DSCL as their service is faultless.

I used Sams once: no confirmation for two or three weeks, and then the email said the work was in progress, but I'd already had to go elsewhere. I'd assumed the software wasn't working correctly, as there was no confirmation that the upload had completed.

They seem slow. I used them for the first time and made the mistake with their software thinking the order was uploaded only to find a few days later it still appeared to be sitting in the outbox. I uploaded it last week, got a confirmation email. I am still awaiting delivery. Many places only take a day or two - not impressed.

I'm not one to bring topics like this online - but this needs an answer

The files sent would not print correctly on our system - we have tried resaving them to fit our requirements - as one of the files was over twice as large as our maximum size - and a simple resize didn't cure as it was a crop from part of the image.

The card details are sent with the order - but as with the terms of our merchant agreement, we only charge the card once the job is ready for dispatch, no refund is required.

I take it on board that we haven't replied to all emails - and there's two lines in the business and only me answering - so not all calls are answered - we have a new system going in shortly for voicemail.

Jobs that are regular jpegs that are no larger than 12"x18" @ 300dpi go straight through the system.

I have never used them but it does seem to be a very poor service, although if its a one man business or a family business maybe something has come up.
I only ever use DSCL myself also as i have also found their service nothing short of first class.

I take it on board that we haven't replied to all emails - and there's two lines in the business and only me answering - so not all calls are answered - we have a new system going in shortly for voicemail.

Well that will sort your phone problem out.
What about the unanswered emails?
Sounds to me like you need to either employ a receptionist/secretary or work some overtime.

Sorry, but there are NO excuses for poor customer service.
Carry on like this and before you know it you won't have to worry, because the phone won't ring at all.

I've used Sam's exclusively now for a few months. I agree there can be issues when something goes wrong, such as prints coming back with borders and then taking a while to reissue, but on the whole it's no worse than problems I've encountered previously with the likes of Loxley or DSCL. I can see why you're p's off though when your emails have gone unanswered.

I ordered 29 prints on Monday night and got them this morning, all of them excellent as I told David in an email. The quality of prints really is exceptional.

My turn to add my 2p worth...

A month (or 2 ago) I put an order through, nothing came so chased up, promised to redo and send out, a week later, still noting chased again and promised the same. 3rd time of chasing promised a call back and nothing, but then the prints turned up a few days later... after I had ordered from Loxley as I was in urgent need by then, so not a great experience!

BUT - This year I must have placed over 30 orders with Sams and that was the only 'problem' order. On a different occasion when I rang to chase and told they had been sent, they reprinted and got them to me next day (a few days later the original one turned up and by the looks of the postmark, RM had been on go very slow!).

On some occasions, I have sent an order off at 10am and got the pics the next day, in most occasions they are 2-3 days and my last order was about that. I have ordered pics from Loxley, Colourworld and DSCL (although not for a while from them), and whenever I compare, Sams seem to be the best. Sharper, better colours and I never tick colour correct.

So, to me, while customer service could (and should be better), I have overall had good experience, fast turnaround and the best quality prints. When I next need to order prints, Sams will be getting the job without even thinking about it!

Is it just me or was the reply from Sam's not really an apology?

FWIW I took advantage of their free introductory offer - prints were very good but one of they sent two of one file by mistake. Didn't bother chasing them as it was free and would probably use them again. Not massively reassured by this thread and the response though.

Sounds to me like you need to either employ a receptionist/secretary or work some overtime.

We've got to let the staff get some holidays! (none for the boss though)

I used them for the first time and made the mistake with their software thinking the order was uploaded only to find a few days later it still appeared to be sitting in the outbox.

We've been on at the software house almost since be started using it - as quite a number of new customers are confused - and about a week ago the launched the new version - which is way better and should cut the number of people who don't send the job but think they have. I've been on this from 7pm-2am since the announcement ti implient - and it should go live tomorrow.

I'm not one to bring topics like this online - but this needs an answer

The files sent would not print correctly on our system - we have tried resaving them to fit our requirements - as one of the files was over twice as large as our maximum size - and a simple resize didn't cure as it was a crop from part of the image.

The card details are sent with the order - but as with the terms of our merchant agreement, we only charge the card once the job is ready for dispatch, no refund is required.

Jobs that are regular jpegs that are no larger than 12"x18" @ 300dpi go straight through the system.

I am still non the wiser, does this mean i am still getting them or not ?

I can't believe the lax attitude David has regarding these posts.
Does he not understand the power of the internet and bad press ??

Hell if that were my business, I'd be chomping at the bit to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Maybe he didn't see the Warehouse Express thread on here a few months ago?

I ordered a 12x16 on the 26th July got confirmation of order and heard nothing since.
Emails have not been answered, telephone is not being answered, unable to PM on here - what a way to run a business.
Even an email to say there is a delay would be acceptable but being ignored is not.

Glad I spotted this, was just about to place an order over the next few days. DSCL here I come.

Well my order was sent the 4th August after sitting in the outbox for several days. I have just in the last few minutes sent an email asking the whereabouts of my order so it shouldn't take David long to work out who I am. I need those prints for a presentation in a couple of weeks and need yet to have them framed so 1) I hope they come soon and 2) i hope they are of the quality I am led to believe they will be. They are within the standard sizes.

Sams came on a recommendation from this forum so speed issues aside I would be pleased to be fair and report back that I get my order and it is good quality if that turns out ot be the case.

I use Sams. I dont how ever use the rose system for loading and ordering. As I can not be arsed to sit a faff. I have put thousands of prints through Davids lab. School classes and more.
Never a problem.

sometimes labs Software can get a glitch and it takes up your time to sort and other jobs such as repling to emails can go arye....

David still has a thumbs up from me.

I can vouch for this. I have actions set up to ensure all prints arrive at SamsPhotolab so they are correctly sized and saved within the parameters laid out by the lab and they always breeze through without at problem.

The only issues I have had have been when I stepped outside the boundries!

I have used SamsPhotolab for about a year now, can count the 'issues' on 2 fingers and that is no more than I have had at ANY other lab in a year (and both times I had deviated from the spec provided).

In my opinion, Sams prints are better quality than ANY of the other labs I have tried, (and I have tried most of the labs offering prints in a similar price bracket) in fact the reason I tried them in the first place was because of problems with another lab (a lab which has been mentioned several times on this thread! To compare side by side, I sent the same file to both labs, and the difference in print quality was remarkable!).

I will continue to use and recommend SamsPhotolab, because they send me great prints, the most important reason for using ANY lab, often within 24 hours, almost always within 48.....

now I'm off to open the prints that have just arrived from Sams...... an order I sent via ROES yesterday :)

Hint to David ;), perhaps you should keep an eye on your emails a bit more because it is a real shame to see a handful of disatisfied customers feeling it necessary to express their frustration in such a public way.

Chris Hill

I can vouch for this. I have actions set up to ensure all prints arrive at SamsPhotolab so they are correctly sized and saved within the parameters laid out by the lab and they always breeze through without at problem.

The only issues I have had have been when I stepped outside the boundries!

I have used SamsPhotolab for about a year now, can count the 'issues' on 2 fingers and that is no more than I have had at ANY other lab in a year (and both times I had deviated from the spec provided).

In my opinion, Sams prints are better quality than ANY of the other labs I have tried, (and I have tried most of the labs offering prints in a similar price bracket) in fact the reason I tried them in the first place was because of problems with another lab (a lab which has been mentioned several times on this thread! To compare side by side, I sent the same file to both labs, and the difference in print quality was remarkable!).

I will continue to use and recommend SamsPhotolab, because they send me great prints, the most important reason for using ANY lab, often within 24 hours, almost always within 48.....

now I'm off to open the prints that have just arrived from Sams...... an order I sent via ROES yesterday :)

Hint to David ;), perhaps you should keep an eye on your emails a bit more because it is a real shame to see a handful of disatisfied customers feeling it necessary to express their frustration in such a public way.

Chris Hill

Hi Chris

The problem isnt the quality of the prints, The problem is communication, Here we are a day after my complaint and i still dont know if i am getting the prints or not.
If he came back and said there is a problem and i cant manage to print these or your getting sweet F A then fine i can try somewhere else, at least i know where i stand.
I dont want to try somewhere else and in a few days later i get duplicate order and it would have cost me twice (well three times because i had to get one of the photos i sent printed from a local printer, which was small banner for my sons birthday last week)

I wonder how you would feel if your business was being discussed and degraded openly on a public access forum?

Worth considering , or is it just 'fair game'?

Last edited:
So far there have been a number of negatives, all seem to be from people who have tried Sams once and not been happy, and those that have used Sams a number of times seem very happy overall. While there is no excuse for not replying to emails, this should not put off people giving them a try.

Anybody considered perhaps why the emails were not responded too? Anybody actually asked that?

Every coin has two sides.

Anybody who was a member of the SWPP would be aware of the regard that Sam's has, and anyone who any dealings with the company at first and regualr hand would also realise that this is very unusual.

I wonder how you would feel if your business was being discussed and degraded openly on a public access forum?

Fair game I reckon. So long as attempts to privately resolve have failed and everything is kept factual.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from the section is titled

Shopping, Suppliers and Bargains For discussion of all shopping related topics. Retailers and suppliers, where to buy, customer service, prices and discounts. Also share any photography bargains you have spotted.

I put "customer service" in bold.

Also by replying in the thread they have contributed too.

So the OP has not broken any forum rules, as far as I know.

To Mark and Daryl

As friends and customers of Dave Clark (Sams), shouldn't you be helping him solve the poor customer service that these folks are having or do you think that they don't deserve it because it is on a public forum.

So , you are thinking that myself and Daryl are on here to help out a buddy? Fair enough, but I would likely do it for anyone else.

What do you think is being acheieved on here right now? A whole load of viewers are reading this and perhaps getting a false impression of a situation , and are hearing the majority of views from one side. I am sure that Mr Clark has done waht he could do within reason. If there was a real issue hear that deserved a solution , then there is another path to take , through what? Trading Standards?

I will leave it there, I just hope that at no point any of you guys have to face this on a forum. Mr Clark has been in this field of work for many years now, I think he knows what he is doing , but this is for him to sort out now, or for Bungus to deal with with Mr Clark.

Last edited:
if you stick your head above the parapet and offer services then you should take the rough with the smooth. If one of my customers was moaning about me on the internet I would be doing my level best to make sure he/she was happy as fast as I could.

So , you are thinking that myself and Daryl are on here to help out a buddy? Fair enough, but I would likely do it for anyone else.

What do you think is being acheieved on here right now? A whole load of viewers are reading this and perhaps getting a false impression of a situation , and are hearing the majority of views from one side. I am sure that Mr Clark has done waht he could do within reason. If there was a real issue hear that deserved a solution , then there is another path to take , through what? Trading Standards?

I will leave it there, I just hope that at no point any of you guys have to face this on a forum. Mr Clark has been in this field of work for many years now, I think he knows what he is doing , but this is for him to sort out now, or for Bungus to deal with with Mr Clark.

I am not taking sides Mark, merely hoping that this is resolved so that all parties can continue to get a service which has been offered in the first place.

If I search this very forum and a few others which I am a member of, some paid as well, Sams does get a bit of stick about the correspondence side of his online printing business.

If he improves that side of things then debates like this surely must help everyone in the long term.

Anybody considered perhaps why the emails were not responded too? Anybody actually asked that?

Every coin has two sides.

Anybody who was a member of the SWPP would be aware of the regard that Sam's has, and anyone who any dealings with the company at first and regualr hand would also realise that this is very unusual.

Never used Dave Clark before, but I know he is highly regarded with a lot of portrait and wedding toggers.
I hope Dave can sort out the communication problems etc. I'm guessing this is just a blip during the holiday season. Hope this thread doesn't lose his otherwise good reptutation.

Tom

I know where you are coming from.

I jsut think that before someone gets hung , drawn and quatered that people get a grip of reality.

Web forums are so very easy to go onto and post up things like this, but they can be distorted, misinterpreted, and blown out of all proportion.
To David's credit he did come on and give a response, now do you get that from other places? DSCL? Loxley ( seen plenty of nasty forum postings about them). I have never seen anyone from any big chains go up and defend themselves.

Tom

I know where you are coming from.

I jsut think that before someone gets hung , drawn and quatered that people get a grip of reality.

Web forums are so very easy to go onto and post up things like this, but they can be distorted, misinterpreted, and blown out of all proportion.
To David's credit he did come on and give a response, now do you get that from other places? DSCL? Loxley ( seen plenty of nasty forum postings about them). I have never seen anyone from any big chains go up and defend themselves.

That's all well and good but it seems he still hasn't answered the question? :bonk:

better send out the search dogs then guys.

Hi Guys

Fisrtly i dont feel i am being harsh or untrue in what is being said.
Mr Clark who has posted on here and i am sure is looking in from time to time has not came on to deny what i have said to be untrue.
I have emailed (no replys) phoned (no answer),
He has my email address, my mobile number, and he can send me a private PM though here or even reply to me through this thread yet i ave not had any contact from him,
My intention is not to do his business any harm but to warn others on the service they might receive.
Yes i am sure for the 99% of the time his business runs very smoothly but obviously i am in the 1% bracket and by voicing MY opinion i hope he can resolve issues like this in a fast and proper manner for everyones benefit.
After all, all us want a good, fast, reliable service that we all can enjoy.

I'm going to be sending my next set of prints to Sam.
Never used him before, but by judging by the quality of the prints, no one has been dissapointed.
I just hope that I can join the 99% of satisfied customer.

just come across this thread and it does seem to be getting out of control, i personally ahve used Sams Lab and never had any problems with the quality of service, the software was simple to use, the delivery time was great and overall i could not say anything bad.

Had i have read this post from a long time member of TP i would have been more concerned but as Bungus seems relatively new with his post count i would question his motives for posting his critisms.

I stopped using Sams for a very similar reason. I uploaded 4 images got confirmation etc but then found another image I wanted printing. I rang and asked for the additional image to be added so I did not pay two lots of P+P he said he would do this. I waited for around two weeks and now prints. I was getting nervous as these were for competition entry. I emailed several times and each time I was assured they would be printed that afternoon. This was 6 months ago and they never did arrive. Needless to say I will not even consider using him again which is a shame because I thought the quality was very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back