School Dinner Times..

Name
Terri
Edit My Images
Yes
When my Kids were in upper school lunch times were spent at school with the schools not alllowing the kids out of school to roam the streets or go to the local shops ect to buy junk food.

Now this was not 20 years ago or more it was about 4 years ago.

now my question is how many of you with children of this age are allowed of school do buy food else where?

when i was at school - about 30 years ago we weren't 'allowed' off campus at lunch time - but that rule was flouted by pretty much everyone except the nerds and the swots - if you got spotted by a member of staff you'd cop a lunch time detention the following day, but that just added a frisson of illicit pleasure and a cops and robbers element

I've never known of any school that allowed kids out at lunch times. Not that it stopped us!

My daughter is 6th form now so yes they are allowed but to be fair they don't bother..
Any other year is strictly forbidden, they have a sign out policy for anything and will phone parent.
It doesn't get flouted either but being a small village it's harder to get away with it.

We were allowed out 20 years ago. The school has now moved to the edge of the village but back then it had a tiny canteen and was only really used by people with lunch tokens. I was made to take a packed lunch which I ate on the floor in the hallway until 5th year when I persuaded mum to give me lunch money. From then on I had a deep fried pizza supper, can of full fat juice and a single cigarette from the chippie down the road.

I was at senior school 1972-77, we were always allowed out, but then we rode bikes without helmets, bought fireworks, were allowed to use airguns and catapults and buy knives, went further than the end of the street until it got dark in the summer or too cold in the winter, weren't in constant communication with our parents by text or phone, in fact they had no idea where we were, climbed trees without safety harnesses , rounded up as many kids as we could to play british bulldog.

A friend was telling me his son has taken part in an organised 7 mile hike where kids set off in 2s with just a map and a compass, there are checkpoints along the way but other than that they're on their own

one guy has been organising it since the 70s, he said about 1975 2 kids got hopelessly lost so they sent everybody out looking for them, after an hour of searching they hadn't found them so started knocking on doors, they knocked on a cottage door, an old lady answered, 2 boys, yes they're in here, they went in, one was in front of the fire wrapped in a blanket eating a fry up and the other was in the bath

Loving the tales from the past.. making me laugh..

Where i work we have about 100+ kids desend on us some on the shop floor and some in cafe the amount of trouble they cause is just so bad... and the crap they eat and buy is even worse.. they have no respect for anyone or anything.

when i was at school - about 30 years ago we weren't 'allowed' off campus at lunch time - but that rule was flouted by pretty much everyone except the nerds and the swots - if you got spotted by a member of staff you'd cop a lunch time detention the following day, but that just added a frisson of illicit pleasure and a cops and robbers element

When I was at school over 40 years ago, we were allowed out to get our own lunch. If we got up to no good, our uniform gave away what school we attended.

we were allowed out of school at dinner time(im taking the 80s so 30 years ago)...not many of us went back:p

We were allowed out 20 years ago. The school has now moved to the edge of the village but back then it had a tiny canteen and was only really used by people with lunch tokens. I was made to take a packed lunch which I ate on the floor in the hallway until 5th year when I persuaded mum to give me lunch money. From then on I had a deep fried pizza supper, can of full fat juice and a single cigarette from the chippie down the road.

Haha ours was a single cig from the ice cream or chip van as it was the same guy

I went to upper school in the 80's and I seem to remember our "freedom to roam" was year-dependant.

In the 1st year we weren't allowed off campus (cue much jealousy!).
In the 2nd year we were allowed off campus providing our parents completed a "waiver" form at the beginning of term (those whose parents chose not to got quite a lot of stick :D) .
From the 3rd year onwards everyone was allowed off campus.

Last edited:
80's schooled here too....convent at that, but were still allowed off site at lunch times.
Didn't smoke then though I do remember the local "ethnic" shop selling single cigs to friends :)

Just being off site for an hour was sufficient. :)

I'm class of 1997-2002 for senior school and I don't remember us not being allowed off site...

What I would say is if the school kids are causing an issue in the shop then contact the local school that they are coming from its their job to deal with it, I know when I was at school quite often senior school staff would be found out in the community making sure we were not causing too much trouble

My time at high school (69-74) there were no restrictions that I remember, but we didn't cause any major issues in the shops/town either. (other local schools were fair game though! :bat: :D )

Our local school does now. kids need signed permission from parents/carers to leave during school hours.
It has only been brought in this last couple of years since a new head teacher took over the reigns & brought some discipline back. Previously the kids were nipping out even at break times & quite a few were being disruptive in town @ lunch time.

Interestingly, lunch time is also a bit later than it used to be, it's now not until about 1.15 pm & they reckon it aids the kids learning.

I'm class of 1997-2002 for senior school and I don't remember us not being allowed off site...

What I would say is if the school kids are causing an issue in the shop then contact the local school that they are coming from its their job to deal with it, I know when I was at school quite often senior school staff would be found out in the community making sure we were not causing too much trouble

We have been onto them loads and nothing happens. If they didn't leave the place looking like a bomb went off and had a little respect for the staff an other customers we wouldn't mind so much and god forbid you say something to them all you get back is a load of lip.

We have been onto them loads and nothing happens. If they didn't leave the place looking like a bomb went off and had a little respect for the staff an other customers we wouldn't mind so much and god forbid you say something to them all you get back is a load of lip.

Yeah sounds about right, if the school are not acting on their responsibility then maybe a complaint to the LEA (y)

When I was at school only the 6th form were allowed out at lunchtimes. A few younger pupils that lived very near the school also had dispensation to go home for lunch. I lived 10 miles away, so not for me.

The rule was obeyed, the headmaster was not the sort of person you crossed, unless you were an idiot. Even the idiots that thought they were "too cool for school" (anyone who thinks that they have nothing to learn is by definition an idiot) obeyed it

You could only go out at lunch time at the senior school I went too in the early 70's if you went home for your lunch (it was called dinnertime back then)

I used to go home for my lunch/dinner and I even got a lift off my dad on his way home from work for his lunch/dinner but I had to wait for him to come out of the pub first

We were allowed in the 90s. I lived near so went home for lunch. Often didnt go back in the afternoon. Wasn't keen on school.

Senior school from 95-2000 we weren't allowed out at all, but from the 4th year up pretty much everyone did, including the teachers! On more than one occasion we bumped into our head of year in the chippy down the road. In the last year I'd often run home for lunch, it was a good two miles away but I'd get home, have 10 minutes to eat and run back again! Anything to get out of that hell hole.

We were allowed in the 90s. I lived near so went home for lunch. Often didnt go back in the afternoon. Wasn't keen on school.

:)

A couple of did this once & went in a pub. :beer: We got caught too :bat: (can't find a caning smiley) OUCH. :sulk:

Back