Searching for the confidance....is it just me?

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, my first post, so be....honest with me....

Im at a stage in my hobby where I want to do more, take more pictures, refine my style, get technically better too.

Ive got some old gear, nothing bought new, a 350D, and old 28mm-90 35mm kit lends off my old 25mm. A friends flash, some other bits and thats it. I just dont have enough for all the fancy bits of gear. Although im saving.

Despite my heath Robinson tools, this is not where I feel limited ( perhaps to a degree ), it is more my confidence to get out and scout for places to shoot. IM not shy, but im quite self conscious, and im aware that when you walk around with a camera you stand out a little more.

I really struggle to go and hunt things down and then actually take some pictures. Its like im thinking, what if some one is watching me, or dont like where I am, or what ever, silly I know.

I only really feel like that when I want to shoot my preferred subjects....
Dereliction, street photography and architecture etc.

Nature is easy, your on your own and theres no real place you can not go. Im an hour from Snowdonia, ten minuets from Chester City, rivers hills, mountains etc.

I really love going around derelict buildings, around decay, but I hold my self back. I think " am I aloud to be in here?", " what if I get caught", "who actually owns this place?". If im with a mate, im cool, im like a kid again and dont care, but on my own, ive no back up and talk my self out of it.

I just wanted to know how some of you deal with laying down in the street to get a cool shot , or heading into "out of bounds" or unclassified areas?

Thanks for reading.

I hope it was a good move joining here! :wave:

Some pics of mine.

London

Pampalona2008

Snowdonia

Hi Graeme and welcome to TP :wave:

Firstly I am sure that you absolutely made the right decision about joining the forum. We are all a real friendly bunch who have all faced similar problems to those you say and probably many more besides!!

We all get a crisis of confidence at times and there are circumstances where we all feel self conscious. People will often look at you with a camera. I have found that when shooting buildings especially people are often just interested in what you are doing. I have struck up some great conversations with people and met some really interesting folks - All started from a 'what are you up to' sort of question.

Stick with it Graeme - Do your research first about where you are going and whether you should be there. Ask questions on here as there are probably people with answers to.

Above all - Enjoy yourself!!

Kind regards

Sara

Hi Graeme,

Where are you based? Find somebody near you that also likes photography and go with them. I feel much less self conscious when I am with another tog :)

Graeme,

You sound like me ! Had you have lived a little nearer I'd have suggested we became 'tog buddies'. Honestly the best thing you can do is find buddy. My photography is completely different when I'm with someone else. Welcome to the forum btw.

I've felt / still feel the same at times, and also share your interests in derelict buildings and street photography.

Several things that have helped me in the past:

In places where you're allowed to be, be confident, open and assertive. You have as much right to be there as everyone else, and if they have a problem that's precisely it - their problem. Not to say you shouldn't be civil and informative if they talk to you mind; my camera has started a lot of interesting conversations for me in the past.

I'm a complete nancy when it comes to being in places I'm not supposed to be, but have always worked on the assumption that security would rather come across someone who's reasonable, non-confrontational and leaves when asked to, than a load of angry pikies nicking the copper or chavvy kids trying to burn the place down. As long as you're not damaging or robbing stuff trespass is only not a criminal offence (all security can legally do is ask you to leave and call the polis if you refuse).

Carrying the gear can make you self conscious; but you'll get used to it eventually and as with everything experience helps :)

Thanks guys,

I think some times I look and study people, and paint a picture of who I think they are, some times I am feeling kind, other days i am quite critical, and there lies a problem, I think some people do the same.

There is a mate of mine who is a very good photographer, part of a local photography club, of which I would like to be a part, but need to muster up the crown jewels to go and mingle with the big boys and their high end toys.

I think we all get stuck in the mind set of having some place to go, running from A-B, yet when we walk the same route, we feel uneasy just milling around, just looking.....
How often do you see people where you live just looking...at what ever? Not many...
Ive been described as "Graeme is always looking for something".

Im inhibited....are there any photography therapy classes to make me more liberal in natures play ground?

Im in the North West by the way. North Wales/Cheshire boarder.

Thanks.

Hi Graeme,

Perhaps joining a meetup, photography club or finding another with a like interest in your area to go out shooting with? safety/confidence in numbers and all that ;) Would get you used to the kind of reactions you're going to get too.

For the derelict buildings / decay side of things, there's a guy on here called sophos9 who runs this site: http://www.talkurbex.com

Take a look, I got stuck reading it for hours the other day. Sounds right up your street.

snip...but need to muster up the crown jewels to go and mingle with the big boys and their high end toys.

There's a quote from a certain Mr. Lance Armstrong that's aposite here... "It's Not About The Bike...." Or in this case, "It's not about the EOS-1Ds III with a bag of L glass". Have a look at some of the stuff produced on here - then look at the photographers kit listed - okay - some of us have silly money kit, some of us are using the same as you, and some of us are still using 35mm kit. Indeed, some of the best shot's I've seen on this forum have been in "the big film shots thread"

What i'm trying to say is this - go to your mates photography club, maybe take along an album/portfolio of your stuff and talk to people. Try very hard to avoid asking them "what camera do you use?", rather ask "so what kind of photography are you into?". Express an interest in their work (unless its something you find utterly mind-numbing (motorsports in my case!)), most Photographers love an excuse to show off their stuff. If you are asked, let them see your shots but don't try and force them onto people. I'm sure you'll find that the people in the club will be happy to see a prospective new member, especially if they show real interest in the creative side of things, rather than the shiney kit.

And if they don't, or they're a unfreindly bunch, stuff them - find another place to go instead:LOL:

Graeme,
Welcome you have made a big step in opening opportunities by joining TP.
I exactly know where you are coming from on this, I also have the added disadvantage of living in Essex so very little in the way of inspirational scenery (although I'm happy for anyone to correct me on this ... challenge :D ). Noting your location you must have stunning locations so bite the bullet and get yourself out and using that kit you have. The challenge for most toggers is getting the best image they can from the limited kit they own (see the welding glass thread here for what you can do with £1 bit of glass).

(y)

Paul

:agree: ... couldn't have put it better than TBY...

And a big :welcome: to TP Graeme ... nice to see some interesting pics in your first post too... ;) ... that shows a certain confidence level that I never mustered for ages... :cautious:

You could do much worse than linking up with like minded people from here who live nearby and exploring togging together... for the most part we are a friendly bunch who just want to share our passion for pictures and at the same time give up any experience we have to those just entering the sport or wondering where/what comes next... ;)

:p

IM not shy, but im quite self conscious, and im aware that when you walk around with a camera you stand out a little more.

I really struggle to go and hunt things down and then actually take some pictures. Its like im thinking, what if some one is watching me, or dont like where I am, or what ever, silly I know.

I have moments like this many times. This is why I could never pluck up the courage to attempt street portraits, although I have no problem wandering through a city looking for buildings to shoot. Chester in particular is great for that. I've been here many times over the years, and because it's a tourist hot-spot, there are many other photographers wandering around too, so you never feel out of place. But I know what you mean however, it is easier when you have company.

I would definitely join your local photography club. I felt like the odd one out when I first attended because I was the only one still using 35mm - everyone else had digital gear, but by showing an interest in other members' photographs and the subjects they're interested in, you'll feel welcomed I'm sure. You have nothing to lose.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Welcome to the club. By that I mean the TP club and the self conscious on the street club. Suffice it to say, you are not alone.

Graeme,
I feel just like you. Having only just moved into the ranks of DSLR with a secondhand 40D and lens, i'm searching for places to practise aside from the normal tourist attractions. One thing that does help is the Lowepro fastpack I bought as it looks mor like a standard backpack, so looks less conspicuous. It also slides round for quick access or putting away!! of the camera.
I guess we'll just have to muster up som confidence and get out there.

Thank you so much, all, for your words of encouragement. Im glad im not the only person who needs a kick up the back side every now and then.

I think I just need a reality check every now and then and focus my efforts on what I want to achieve as apposed to what others may be thinking of me.

Well, ive booked to go to the local photography club next Monday, so I hope its worth going. Its on tonight, but its the AGM for them, and ive been told its as dull as sin, so perhaps not a good first introduction.

Im going to try the local college again to see if there photography is available. Last time I rang it was full, but they where going to run another. But i think I asked for level 1 instead of level 2.

Thanks again for all the reply's and thanks Mathew for the urbex link, very cool.

Cheers :D

Back