Second Flash Unit

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Day TalkPhoto people.

I'm brand new here and yes I have only browsed this forum, lots to learn from the previous posts, so I'll be reading and learning soon.

I'd like to just say where I'm at in my pursuit of light.

I have an SB 700 on my D5100 and it works wonderfully.

I'm interested in looking into off camera lighting - most likely a second flash unit.

If money was no object I'd buy an SB 910 and be done with it. But I'm frugal (Must be my Mom's Scottish blood in my veins).

I've looked at lots of flash options. Like the Metz 52 AF with the new touch screen. $290 Canadian - for $330 I can get a second SB 700, Hmmm?
IF I decide to part with about $300 I'd likely go for one of those two, maybe the Metz as it has a higher GN and the touch screen is cool - but I've been warned about that one's flash speed. (more research needed I guess).

But I've looked at less expensive options.

The cheapest way is the Yongnuo units. I've noticed several mention them in posts here. I'll be looking for reviews of them. I did find one very negative review that said they don't honour their warranty? But thats one man's experience. But for about $100 give or take depending on the model I guess you have to consider them disposable what with the cost of mailing it to China for warranty work anyway.

There are several options in the $130 range, eg BestBuy has one by the battery company Energizer, a Poloriod, a Sunpak and a Bower all in the $100-$150 price range. (FYI $1 CDN is .5 Pound Sterling)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/bower-bower-dedicated-power-zoom-flash-for-nikon-dslr-sfd926n-sfd926n/10191833.aspx?path=3276992bf4063643f8776799569680b4en02

I also toy with the idea of those banks for LED's that can be had on eBay for $40 - $140. I've just begun to look into them.

The upside of a second speedlight like flash is of course it is a back up to my main flash (and may become my main flash if I like it better than the SB 700) but always good to have a spare if you would hate to have to not take your pictures because your flash failed.

I've not leaned enought about the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) but should. Upside of the Metz is that it is CLS compatible.
I understand there are work arounds with wireless triggers from Yongnuo and others.

Anyway - any initial advice?

. . .

I am going to need a new camera bag now too as my current Golla is packed to the brim already, more gear needs a new bag.

Last edited:
I'd suggest looking at getting a YN568EX along with a pair of YN622N triggers. Will do everything you want. I've had yongnuo units for a couple of years now and never missed a beat. You can get the flash and triggers in the UK for about £175

Whether it makes any difference or not the yn622n triggers also emit a grid to aid low light auto focus

Last edited:
The 568ex is compatible with the Nikon CLS system, but with the YN622s being so cheap and radio being so much more reliable, it's a no-brainer.

I was bidding on a slightly used (demo unit) SB 900 on a camera store's ebay page - but dropped out when the bid passed $290.00 - for $330ish I can get a new SB 700, and for $280 I can get one of those new Metz with the touchscreen (52 AF). I'll do a little more research on those Yongnuo.
BTW if they are compatible with the Nikon CLS on camera trigger why would I go for the Yonguo trigger? How is it better at triggering the Yonguo flash?
I also am picking up an old Metz Mecablitz 32 MZ-3 (currently high bid at $19. it would be a back light slave (may need to buy an optical slave trigger, or maybe that Yongnuo one. Not sure if it will work as a slave. But for $20 an extra Metz can't hurt eh?

The cls is restricted by range and conditions. The triggers are radio, good for 100m and no interference

Looked long and hard at cheaper Chinese flashes, Yongnuo and the Voeloon (which I learned is Oloong) and others. Consider the cost with radio triggers by Yongnuo instead of the CLS wireless system. But decided to go for German engineering and bought a Metz 58 AF-2. Picked it up for $292 CDN (about 150 pound). That's more than $100 less than I've seen it anywhere else. It has the CLS (3 groups) and HSS among other features. Here it is beside my other flash (SB 700). Now to learn how to make a pair of flashes work. The initial set up was easy, master - slave, same channel, all TTL. They worked well enough together but I've got a lot to learn about multiple flash units. The 58 is bigger and more powerful than the 700 - more like the 900.

1798423_10152046306401051_1587185141_n.jpg

Back