Selling a lens through MPB

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
I am selling a lens and decided to give MPB an email to see how much it was worth. Happy with the quote so looking to proceed. Now, has anyone sold a lens through MPB and did the quote they gave you remain the same once they received the goods? It would be very easy for them to change their offer to a much lower amount once it's in their hands.

Have you experience of this?

Good Questions.

I've just asked them for a quote.

I've never used them before, so would be good to see the responses.

Just sold a bunch of lenses and a lovely D200 to MPB. Best price I could find from a dealer. No problems; money was in my account by the time I got home.

I don't think many dealers are going to offer such a high price that they are likely to drop it after receipt, unless you are really trying to pull a fast one - I am sure the price reflects a good 'doubt' margin.

...has anyone sold a lens through MPB and did the quote they gave you remain the same once they received the goods?
I've sold a couple of lenses, a body and some accessories via MPB, and each time the quote was the same as the monies received. Also the quotes were approx to that which a dealer would be offering, and the money was received promptly.

Great company to deal with, I'm on their site a good few times a week looking for those final couple of other bits on my shopping list ;)

I sold a body and they money I got was same as the quote.

Solid and honest people to deal with Sara. If you describe your goods accurately, they pay what they say they will.

As above, no problems, was expecting a car dealer approach but they paid what was quoted, would sell through them again if needed.

I've got nothing to sell and have no connection with MPB. But it is really nice to read about a company that has a very good reputation amongst its customers.

Sold and bought several items through them. Pleasure to deal with, Matt is 100%

Clarke

Sold and purchased quite a few items from them and never any problems. They send Parcelforce to pick your item up then once checked money was in my bank account.

Dealt with Matt at MPB on two occasions recently for some high value items so I approached with caution initially.

Found his price competitive and the whole process from first contact to money in the account was very easy.

They arrange the courier for collection and pay direct into your bank account upon receipt and test.

I got paid exactly the price quoted so describe accurately and there should be no problems.

Will definately deal with them again.

Gary

Sold my D300 to them. Describe it honestly, and they honoured their price. They offer decent prices too, less than you'd expect for a private sale but certainly not insulting. Given that their website prices seem quite reasonable too, they're pretty good to deal with all round.

I'd echo exactly what's already been said above, a fair quote and trouble free process from start to finish. Matt is very helpful, wouldn't hesitate to use MPB again.

I've bought and part ex'd various cameras and lenses with MBP. Great company to deal with, I've never had any issues with them.

Thought I'd bump this rather than starting a new thread.

How long does payment usually take for sold items? They received my goods 6 days ago, emailed me to say that my goods have been checked and that payment can go through.

At no stage have I received confirmation that payment has actually been made. I have emailed them about this.

Am I getting worried for no reason?

Last edited:

I would say yes, there are many positive experiences and always something to slow down the process for the occasional person.
Annoying if it doesn't come with expectations but it will come :)

{Edit} Assume you've completed the webpage with your payment details?

Though I'd bump this rather than starting a new thread.

How long does payment usually take for sold items? They received my goods 6 days ago, emailed me to say that my goods have been checked and that payment can go through.

At no stage have I received confirmation that payment has actually been made. I have emailed them about this.

I'm having the same problem myself.
Sold them some gear and they received it last Tuesday. They told me everything was fine and asked for bank details which I supplied. They then said it would take four working days to make the payment. WTF? Bank transfers can be done immediately, and even if they use the old slow clearing system that only takes three days!
Anyway I waited and waited, and when I hadn't received the monies yesterday morning I sent them an e-mail. Lo and behold the monies appeared about 20 minutes later.

Just one problem. They paid me the wrong amount!!!!!
Now I'm back to waiting for them to correct their mistake.

Seems MPB are not quite as good as they used to be. Maybe this expansion and website revamp has gone pear shaped. Dunno, but they need to get their fingers out. They are nowhere near as good as they once were.

I've used them twice.
The 1st time I got in touch a few days after they'd received & acknowledged receipt the item. They apologised & asked again for bank details (which I'd previously supplied) & they transferred the money later the same day.

Second time no probs.

Might be best to ring or email to make sure they have your bank details.

Might be best to ring or email to make sure they have your bank details.

They confirmed on Friday morning that they'd received my payment details. I can't seem to get a reply on whether they've actually made payment though.

Maybe they're still paying for their new website?

Just got an email back:

"Sorry for the slight delay here. I can confirm that you are now in a queue to be paid."

A queue? :confused:

It's the first and last time I'll be going through this.

Something appears to be not quite right down in Brighton.

They used to be super reliable but their crown seems to have slipped lately.

Used them about 6 months ago. They were very quick in paying out to me then, about 3 days after they received the lens the money was in my account.

Used them about 6 months ago. They were very quick in paying out to me then, about 3 days after they received the lens the money was in my account.

Same here when I've used them ... seems odd!

sounds like staff shortages or something - they are a corporate member here @mpb.com so hopefully someone will let us know that they arent slipping down the customer service ratings

Finally got them to rush payment through after various emails.

All sorted. Thanks for the help.

I'm still waiting. I can't see why this has happened. My sale had a unique reference number which was on the details I filled for them. They confirmed that everything was as agreed so I would have expected the right amount.
Someone must have overridden the system.
They don't seem bothered.

yep unfortunately I have had problems with them in the last few months before that were superb not soo much now :-(

I had a small issue with them last year. Sent a lens to them that had a chip in (I either didn't notice before I sent it or it was damaged in transit), so they couldn't purchase it. I said they needn't bother sending it back to me (it wasn't an expensive lens and has virtually no value if chipped). They sent it back anyway, but stripped out the manual, the CD and half of the polysterene box mount. They also delayed payment by several days for no reason.

When I queried the delayed payment and the asset stripping of the returned lens I was completely ignored - they didn't even bother to respond.

I probably won't use them again.

I've chased my missing monies and the excuse is bordering on the farcical. Even though they have replied to my previous mails admitting their error it seems my mails are in a folder where they won't get looked at.
No I don't understand that either. No promise of a date for payment to be made.
Christmas might come first!

Last edited:
this is very unlike them - I wonder if a key member of theteam is off sick or something, usually they are very good , and tagging them here results in an imediate response

Yes! All sorted.
Just proves that they can make same day settlements if they choose to do so.
Shouldn't need to have words with them though.

I sold all my Canon FF gear to them, got a decent price, courier arrived when they were supposed to, all in all excellent service. Took 5 business days to get the payment into my bank account though, I did ring on day 4 to gee them up. I'd use them again TBH

I've used them twice, most recently last month, to sell a load of stuff I wasn't using any more. Courier arrived, got an email a few days later confirming equipment checked and payment to be made (I had to send bank account details at this stage), checked bank a few days later, payment was short by nearly a hundred quid. Started wondering if they'd bumped down my equipment gradings but messaged them back, got a reply by return with an apology and the additional cash was paid in that day. I'd happily use them again.

Back