She smiles

Her hair is a bit distracting, and her hands are a bit tense holding the jacket, but apart from that I like it, buddy. Good job!

Her hair is a bit distracting, and her hands are a bit tense holding the jacket, but apart from that I like it, buddy. Good job!
I agree on the hair, I watched the link you sent me and I asked Em to move around and play with her hair etc.. this was one of the last but was the best of the lot, so the hair got a bit messy, I will need to watch this.

The hands, this was just the keep the jacket covering skin and give them something to do.

Hope I'm headed in the right direction :LOL:

Thank you, really appreciate it and the feedback too (y)

The hands, this was just the keep the jacket covering skin and give them something to do.

For the hands, if the fingers go inside the jacket and grip it a little - even pulling it down slightly - then it can look less nervous and more energised while providing the needed covering.

For the hands, if the fingers go inside the jacket and grip it a little - even pulling it down slightly - then it can look less nervous and more energised while providing the needed covering.
Thank you, notes taken (y)

Yes, it’s not about the hands holding the jacket, but more about the tension in them. Definitely heading in the right direction though!

Yes, it’s not about the hands holding the jacket, but more about the tension in them. Definitely heading in the right direction though!
Cheers Dean, just hope I've got enough grey matter to hold all this info :LOL:

I agree with the above comments, ref hands, but if I scroll down to just below the lapels that's a cracking portrait Gav (y)

The crop is much better (disregarding the colour shift). Lovely smooth tones and detail, especially in the jacket. Did you have any backlighting as I'm wondering if a little extra separation for the dark hair against the dark background could have worked?

The crop is much better (disregarding the colour shift). Lovely smooth tones and detail, especially in the jacket. Did you have any backlighting as I'm wondering if a little extra separation for the dark hair against the dark background could have worked?
Thank you, BG was lit, I may have toned it down too much in the edit as I added a bit of Vignette which has in turn hit the hair line. Quick phone edit :) hows this? Again colours are off..
53021782967_f913b53bb3_6k-02-01.jpeg

Quick crop on my phone,
That's better Gav, I was thinking a little tighter though.
If you don't like it, I'll nuke it (y)

edit 53021782967_f913b53bb3_6k-02.jpeg

Thank you, BG was lit, I may have toned it down too much in the edit as I added a bit of Vignette which has in turn hit the hair line. Quick phone edit :) hows this? Again colours are off..
View attachment 394424

That's much better separation at the top now, although that doesn't mean the darker one was wrong if that was the mood you were after!

That's much better separation at the top now, although that doesn't mean the darker one was wrong if that was the mood you were after!
Thank you, I'll be honest I very rarely settle on a 'finished' image, I'll always go back at some point and have another go either from reshooting if possible or edit if not.

Thank you for the feedback, I always appreciate crit', you'll never offend me :)

Fab, your stuff is looking more polished all the time but hasn't lot the essential character.

Why not ask her to put a shirt on underneath? If amy model has more freedom to pose comfortably you'll get better results.

I'm nit picking now.. but there's something odd about the light. I probably wouldn't have noticed but for the double catchlight in one eye, but now I have noticed I can't un-notice.

The light on camera right (a window?) is doing a nice job on the sleeve but it's doing something odd on the jawline. It's too far forwards and too low to be a traditional rim light and too far back to be a fill, so you're almost ending up with 45/45 split light. It's also a slightly different temperature to the key.

Like I said, nitpicking. Don't worry about it too much but you did ask :)

Fab, your stuff is looking more polished all the time but hasn't lot the essential character.
Thank you, I'm not the brightest spark, could I ask what you mean by essential character?

Why not ask her to put a shirt on underneath? If amy model has more freedom to pose comfortably you'll get better results.
I agree, it's partly the heat in the room, she is also going through issues with her breasts at the moment, so struggles with clothing at the minute, we are working on it, I've only mentioned this as I don't want you to think I'm asking her to be undressed against her will. Another reason we tried the robe and cloaks.

I'm nit picking now.. but there's something odd about the light. I probably wouldn't have noticed but for the double catchlight in one eye, but now I have noticed I can't un-notice.

The light on camera right (a window?) is doing a nice job on the sleeve but it's doing something odd on the jawline. It's too far forwards and too low to be a traditional rim light and too far back to be a fill, so you're almost ending up with 45/45 split light. It's also a slightly different temperature to the key.

Like I said, nitpicking. Don't worry about it too much but you did ask :)
Thank you, the light on camera right is a speedlight in a square softbox, camera left is a studio light in a round softbox, the speedlight is probably to blame for the WB differance.
I'm looking for another studio light as I'm struggling the get the power control with the set up I have.
I will take another look at my set up when we try again.

Thank you again for the feedback, sorry for the extra info, hope I don't seem I'm being defensive :)

Thank you, I'm not the brightest spark, could I ask what you mean by essential character?
The pics are charming! When I first started I spent so much time pursuing 'correctness' that my stuff lost all charm and spontaneity. You haven't done that.

Thank you again for the feedback, sorry for the extra info, hope I don't seem I'm being defensive :)

Not at all!

It's commendable how much your portraits have improved in such short amount of time.
The hard work you put into this pays off.
Well done Gav!

Back