Sheep etc.

I've now looked at Fridays shots in colour and when making a selection I chose some different ones and omitted some that were in the black and white batch. Some were very much dependent on colour.

oldfair (58 of 75).jpg

_7820875.jpg

Others seemed look 'right' in colour but not black and white. I picked out the next frame to the one below in my mono selection.

oldfair (60 of 75).jpg

Most were just a case of me preferring to make pictures in colour. I doubt I'll be repeating the exercise!

oldfair (8 of 75).jpg

Full colour selection - https://photos.app.goo.gl/cXL7wPpEurqpEEX79

Last edited:
An interesting day's photographing today. But looking over my results a bit of a wasted opportunity I think. Often the case that I look at what I've shot and 'see' all the pictures I should have got. I think I'm too parsimonious with rattling off frames and under-shoot.

A few from early on that aren't too bad. It was in the shed where things went to pot. I'll put some of those up in the next post. I might sleep on them before a final sort through.

Lonk ewes being brought in for a check over and sorting into tupping groups. The black sheep is a teaser (vasectomised) tup put in with the ewes to bring them into season. You'll see him later.

_7821158.jpg

_7815628.jpg

_7821164.jpg

_7821166 - Copy.jpg

_7821173 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Worra lorra Lonks!

_7815631.jpg

A day's rest and I've got a few more interesting pics than I thought. Not many really good ones but....

Once the flock is in the shed the work begins. Drive them into the race where four at a time can be worked on.

dutt (26 of 88).jpg

First they need to be 'tailed'. Clipping away the wool at the back end makes the tup's job easier. Removing any dirty wool that can go crusty is also kinder on the tup' I learned a lot yesterday!

dutt (53 of 88).jpg

The main job was giving each ewe a bolus to counter any mineral deficiencies the land has to keep them in good health during pregnancy and at lambing time. The boluses are a slow release over six months or so.

dutt (76 of 88).jpg

It's not pleasant having something put down your throat and some of the sheep fight it more than others.

This is very nearly a really good shot as it shows the bolus gun being used and a coloured mark being sprayed on the back of the ewe's neck to identify which tup she'll be going to. If only the spray can was a bit higher and more visible. Still it's a shot of father and Lonk mad daughter working together. The son started tailing but he's more machinery oriented and made a swift getaway after a couple of hours to do something with an electric fence!

dutt (75 of 88).jpg

The days of flockmasters keeping all their knowledge of which sheep is bred which way and how their lambs have fared are in the past. It's all done with chip readers and laptops now.

dutt (74 of 88).jpg

More....

In addition to the tasks in the previous post any sheep showing lameness was dealt with. A hoof trim followed by blue spray until that ran out (a sheep farm with no blue spray, unheard of!), and in one case a jab of antibiotic.

_7821222.jpg

A few of my more 'random' efforts now.

Blackie the teaser. Still working away pestering the ladies.

dutt (78 of 88).jpg

I didn't move them, but I did rotate these cans. Is that cheating? :D

dutt (57 of 88).jpg

A better shot of spraying a mark, but it's only showing one thing going on and the mechanism on the left is obscuring Steve.

dutt (65 of 88).jpg

dutt (42 of 88).jpg

dutt (45 of 88).jpg

It wasn't the brightest of days which made it quite gloomy in the shed, so that caused the usual problems. Where I think I let myself down most was in not getting in close enough with a moderately wide focal length -28-35mm. I was concerned with keeping out of the way so shot longer than I like to a lot of the time.

Comments/crit welcome as always.

I enjoyed seeing those.
To my mind a good illustration of the work that goes on in breeding , welfare etc. of which i am ignorant.

The 'herding' ones at the beginning are well taken and nice to see a few autumn trees in the frame rather than just grass
Thanks Alan.

A pity the sun wasn't shining to lift the autumn colours. It did the following day when it was all over and I was busy working. Typical of my luck.

I went in search of autumnal hues today. AKA ewes with coloured bums! I'll try to get more of these, the yellow/green doesn't show up as well as red and orange, or even blue.

_7821414.jpg

I was also hoping to get some Lonks with russet leaves in the background but I'd left it too late and most trees were leafless. It made a change to be able to get out in the dry, with the sun shining and hardly any breeze.

_7821405.jpg

Should have stopped down a bit more...

_7821431.jpg

_7821432.jpg

Just a random scenic at Burholme in the Hodder valley.

_7821444.jpg

I'm really struggling to make anything out of this year's Lonk show pictures. I've got it down to 200 or so, and a fair few are very similar so they'll be easy to sort out. It's getting started that's the big problem!

2023-11-12_150512.jpg

The original plan was to do a chronologically ordered zine, but I think I'll have to find another way to sequence the pics. Hey, ho.

In other sheep photography news one of my acquaintances who has been photographing rural life since the 1970s has a book out in time for Christmas.

_7513503.jpg

Photographed over the last few years the title is self-explanatory. Well done John for putting it all together and finding a publisher (Amberley)who gave him full editorial control. He got the first layouts back and some photos had been cropped. They redid it for him with no cropping.

_7815659.jpg

_DLX3087.jpg

John's encouraged me to get on with a Lonk book, and seeing his in print has given me a kick up the backside to make some progress!

The weather was a bit different for this Saturday's venture into Bowland. It was that grim I almost came straight home. The sun had been shining when I left the flatlands! Pretty much a complete wash out.

When I eventually got to the sheep dog trial, after a few stops to document the watery landscape, it was all over. Mind you the venue, one I've not been to before, wasn't conducive to photographing the action anyway.

_7821488.jpg

At least I found some Lonks on my travels. Not that the photos are up to much.

_7815793.jpg

I always wonder what's going through a sheep's mind when it stares at me.

_7815799.jpg

Going off topic (although there are sheep in the background of this shot), I might have a new typology project. Milk stands. The milk tanker put them out of business but there are still some to be found.

_7815795.jpg

A dry afternoon with the threat of sunshine and I thought I'd risk a look at the marsh. When I got there I changed my mind and took a circular route inland.

Two empty orange lick buckets set off nicely by the blue sky..

_7815830.jpg

The sheep death wish is strong...

_7815832.jpg

...but not strong enough in this case!

_7815833.jpg

That was my lot for sheep, but I got a couple of other shots that I like, even though they don't fit any of my current project ideas.

Last edited:
Cheap clip frames for print rotation. Which is something I haven't done for far too long. So...

_7513512.jpg

The weather's supposed to dry up for a couple of days so maybe some sheep photography will be on the cards.

A dry afternoon with the threat of sunshine and I thought I'd risk a look at the marsh. When I got there I changed my mind and took a circular route inland.

Two empty orange lick buckets set off nicely by the blue sky..

View attachment 407075
I've got a photo of one of those up a fell, they make a good punctation in the landscape

Sunny day number one. There were sheep Lonks to be seen!

I actually had some landscapes in mind but when I got where I intended they didn't work out. This one isn't what I set out for, nor is it a keeper, but it's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

_7821505.jpg

The temperature had dropped considerably, and it was bloody breezy, which made hand-holding a telephoto tricky and I think is what has knocked the quality of what could have been rather good shots. They'll probably still look OK in a zine though.;)

What I like is the angle, the background (which for those who recognise the mountain gives it a locational context), and the two shades of raddle on the tup.

_7821528.jpg

_7821536-Enhanced-NR.jpg

As you can see he stood up and headed my way. I've been run into by ewes at shows and I know what damage a tup can do so I sidled nonchalantly back to my car. Of course he might just have wanted a scratch!

I've photographed at this spot before and it makes life easy with the south facing slope right by the roadside.

_7821518.jpg

_7821524.jpg

I called it a day early as I wanted to get back home and do some work before the light went. On my way I got stuck behind a flock of sheep. :D

_7815871.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I started having major PC problems yesterday. The first card loaded into LR as usual, but it simply wouldn't import the second one and froze on me. It's now refusing to work at all! Other things have gone haywire too and I've had to change browsers to post this. TBH I've been in need of an upgraded machine for a long time so I'll bite the bullet next week. Anyhow, I've managed to get LR to work by creating a new catalogue.

The sun shone again yesterday on a still and frosty day. A dog trial at a different venue saw me only make on wrong turn finding it. The sheep were unruly, only one handler penned all three of their sheep, other sheep just ran off where they fancied, and quite a few jumped out of the pen where they were put after each run and got into a garden. They were wild! So there wasn't as much close-to action to photograph. However, one reason I went to this trial was it's' location in Lonk country and I want some landscape pictures of the old heartland of Lonk keeping.

If only the dog had been more visible between the sheep's legs...

_7821625.jpg

_7821567.jpg

Focused.

_7821633.jpg

_7821670.jpg

Only a couple of miles from civilisation but it feels like the middle of nowhere.

_7821707.jpg

If only it had been a Lonk.

_7815899.jpg

Sorry to hear about your pc problems - the technology is the pain with digital photography, and the cost is the pain with conventional (and the time, and the difficult learning environment).

Sorry to hear about your pc problems - the technology is the pain with digital photography, and the cost is the pain with conventional (and the time, and the difficult learning environment).
At least the browser issue has been resolved, and I can process new photos. Losing access to my back catalogue is a pain. Hopefully a temporary one.

Pampered sheep dog. Collies don't need coats!

_7821580.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that LR is working again.

A chilly start at Gisburn mart today.

_7821783.jpg

More later - including another tale of woe.

Great shot! Love it.
Thanks Paul.

There'll be more later - and my latest tale of woe... Have to process the ones the mart wants first. Then send them the bill! :D

The good news is that this was a paying gig. :D

The bad news is that if it hadn't been I'd have stayed home and a Mini wouldn't have skidded into the side of my car on my way home. :( Nobody hurt though.

Still, on the bright side there were Lonks.(y)

_7821874.jpg

_7821880.jpg

And plenty of tinsel

_7815971.jpg

Herdwicks

_7821832.jpg

And Mashams looking pretty in pink.

_7821892.jpg

That light was irresistible - but tricky to find a picture of.

_7821797.jpg

Ah, that last one - that light... irresistible
Thanks. I did get a bit fixated on the light for a time. Big problem is that it's right by the road and I'd get a nicely framed shot and a car or van would intrude, or the goal posts on the playing field opposite would be in the shot. V. frustrating. It has been said that photography is an art of exclusion - what you leave out is as important as what you include. ;)

Thanks. I did get a bit fixated on the light for a time. Big problem is that it's right by the road and I'd get a nicely framed shot and a car or van would intrude, or the goal posts on the playing field opposite would be in the shot. V. frustrating. It has been said that photography is an art of exclusion - what you leave out is as important as what you include. ;)
Very true. Personally, I think I would have gone tighter in on the shed and not worried about outside. Sure, the contrast is good... but inside, that's great (for me).

Very true. Personally, I think I would have gone tighter in on the shed and not worried about outside. Sure, the contrast is good... but inside, that's great (for me).
I tried both but the horizontal shots didn't work, and I liked the sort of two-pictures-in-one of the vertical, and the cool/warm contrast._7821799.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday morning there was a big wagon loaded with concrete panels parked up down the lane. Today there was one loaded with steelwork. I guessed hat construction of the sheep shed at the end of the lane was imminent. With work boxed off early and the rain cleared for a change I went for a look.

_7513543.jpg

_7513544.jpg

Something for me to keep an eye on if I get a chance this week.

I'm really struggling to make anything out of this year's Lonk show pictures. I've got it down to 200 or so, and a fair few are very similar so they'll be easy to sort out. It's getting started that's the big problem!

View attachment 406754
Got myself motivated at last and found a way to whittle them down. Now reduced to a more manageable 85. :)

2023-12-08_151651.jpg

I have a cover shot selected, but that's as far as it's got so far. Cup of tea then come back to it I think.

John Bentley's book has sold 1000 copies and is going to a second print run. (y) I'll be happy if I sell 10 copies of the zine I'm working one!

Other than that I've only managed a brief foray between showers to see how the shed is progressing. It's definitely looking like a shed now.

_7816051.jpg

A very short walk after the rain stopped and before the sun set this afternoon. my luck was in its usual state with sheep to be found, but the low sun directly behind them from the only vantage point offering a clear view. Hence the black and white conversion to reduce the impact of flare.

_7821928.jpg

It was not only muddy in the field, but also in the gate entrance where I was stood.

_7821966.jpg

On my way back the sun had moved a little and I waded through the mud to my right to put the sun out of shot. Still far from spectacular.

_7821969.jpg

The sheep must have been hungry or they'd have run a mile when I appeared!

It was a rainy day that I had free today so I knuckled down and came up with a layout (such as it is for what's essentially an album) of my Lonk show pics from this year. It's run to 84 pages including cover and I've sent the file to Doxdirect for a proof to check the sequencing and show names are correct.

2023-12-11_145913.jpg

Considering how many shots I take at each show it was difficult to find four 'good' pictures to use for some shows. Putting together even a small publication like an A5 zine makes me more critical than doing a photo-dump to Facebook!

Considering how many shots I take at each show it was difficult to find four 'good' pictures to use for some shows. Putting together even a small publication like an A5 zine makes me more critical than doing a photo-dump to Facebook!

I find curation the hardest part about putting a zine together, so well done for selecting from what must be a massive body of work.

Back