Should I trade my DSLR for the X100s?

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys - just after some thoughts as to what you'd do :D

I've been learning DSLR Photography for the last 16mths and having experimented with the different genres have found my main passion lies with street photography.

The DSLR I have is the Sony A57 and recently I've stuck to using it with a 50mm Prime for my outings.. I also have a 75-200mm, 18-55 kit lens and a Macro Lens for it.

Now besides the fact that even with the 50mm Prime on the camera isn't particularly discreet for street photography - the other more important factor is the disability I have is similar to a severe arthritus so holding a larger DSLR camera can be awkward especially if I want to take a portrait shot..

So would you sell on the DSLR bundle that I've got and buy a Fuji X100s or would you keep the DSLR and try to fund the X100s seperately?

At the moment I cannot see myself changing my prefered genre from street photography to something else - but I guess thats always a possibility later on down the line..

Decisions decisions.. lol

:plus1:

Apart from anything else, the X100 is a one trick pony - or rather a single focal length one. I love wide angles but couldn't restrict myself to just one focal length even if it was 28mm (IIRC). I love the X Fujis - I have 3 of the babies and 2 of the interchangeable lens bodies - but the restriction that the fixed prime would place on me has put me off the X-100. It's a great little camera as a tool for a specific job but as an only camera, it's not for me!

Depends if it will push you financially. Personally, I'd prefer to sell on the gear if I'm not using it and buy another camera and lenses later down the line if I need them. If you bought it new you may wish to reconsider though as you'll take a big hit.

why not as said -fund the X100 if you can, then maybe once you've established that, that is the kit for you then sell on the Sony gear (75 -200mm to me lol)

Les ;)

My advice is to keep the DSLR kit for now if you can afford to do so and assess your need again in a few weeks or months and if you find that you aren't using your DSLR kit after a time then sell it. That's what I did when moving from DSLR to mirrorless.

Another thing... if handling is an issue for you would image stabilisation help? If so you could think about getting an Olympus or Panasonic body with in built IS and another advantage of these cameras is that you can pick and change your lenses rather than have just the one lens as with the fixed lens X100s.

How about the middle ground, look at the fuji X compact system cameras?

How about the middle ground, look at the fuji X compact system cameras?

Yes, with the deals on you can get a Fuji X-E2 with 35mm f1.4 for £700 through Amazon. I'm sorely tempted as that's cheaper than Panamoz.

Thanks guys - its still a bit of a tough call at the moment - with being retired from working due to my disability it'd be easier to sell the DSLR setup to fund the new camera whether that be the X100s or something like Dean/Richard mentioned with the Fuji X series...

Dean - I couldn't see the Fuji X-E2 deal on Amazon - do you have a link to it?

I would suggest that part of the attraction of the x100s is the optical viewfinder. An X-E2 or similar might be a better all-round camera but doesn't have quite the same attraction perhaps. To the OP, I have both an SLR kit and an x100s. I find myself bouncing between them depending on the day. They both have their uses. When I need light, discreet or I'm simply in a no-frills mood, the x100s comes with me. When I'm doing something that requires flexibility, the 5D is in my bag. They really do represent two different approaches to photography and I enjoy both.

I recommend that you get the x100s, use it for a couple of months and only then will you be able to decide if the SLR is a goner. Also, keep at it. I found the x100s easy to like on first sight, hate on first use, and love after some time in hand.

Do it - an SLR isn't the answer to every photography question. The Fuji X range is small, light and discrete, with excellent image quality. The EVF's are pretty good as well, especially in low light. If you can live with a single fixed focal length then the X100s is a great choice, if you want something a little larger then the interchangeable lens range are belters as well.

Fwiw I'd keep your slr and buy an x100 on top. I love my x100s and it's pretty much all I've used for non work over the last year, but it doesn't offer the flexibility yet

Its a great camera,its my take everywhere camera when i am not taking a kit out with me,but as my only camera no :)

I have severe Arthritis throughout my body along Fibromyalgia. From operations (Subacromial Decompressionto to both shoulder's, these operations are carried out to shave away the bone & socket and to open the joint up). I have been left with nerve damage to my left shoulder which is transferring down my arm and to my hand and fingers.

I took up photography about 2 years ago and I think I have tried a few cameras in that time. Nikon D3100, J1, V1 & D7000. Canon 1100d, Pentax K5, Panasonic LX7, Fuji X20, XE-1 & Current Xpro-1. From all these cameras the D7000 was the most comfortable to hold as I have large hands but was too heavy for me. I have now settled on the the Xpro-1 which has fantastic IQ and the lightness even with grip is so much easier to hold. I intitailly sold my prime lenses and went for the zooms for the Image Stabalization, but I have found using the 35mm that I can manage without IS due to the lightness and ease of changing controls on the camera.

So in summary I would consider the XP1 or similiar and I dont think you will be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Back