Show us yer film shots then!

Lovely, as always. Can I ask you how you go about metering your Velvia shots, please, Roger?

Thanks. I use a Gossen Luna Pro with 7½/15° 'spot' attachment. With that particular shot obviously the most important thing is the sky so I metered with the 'spot' attachment set to 15° pointed at the sky. Then I checked the reflection in the pool, which was about the same. I didn't bother to meter the darker areas of rock and just accepted that some of it was going to be completely black. With Velvia's very narrow dynamic range I find the best thing is to find a foreground where the EV is not far below that of the sky, so water or wet sand that will reflect the light of the sky is ideal.

Here's a shot from our recent Lake District trip. On reflection, maybe I should have used it for the February POTY round, but I couldn't see any merit in it that evening. Taken near Alcotts Tarn above Grasmere on Portra 400 with the black Pentax MX and Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4. Processed and scanned (1200dpi) at Boots in Kendall. Bit of highlights recovery and levels adjustment in Aperture, plus colour adjustment using a spot on the wall as grey:

Here's the same shot re-scanned with Vuescan at 2400 dpi. Original colour was very different. Levels adjustment, grey point in the same spot, then some sharpening.

I thought this was an interesting comparison!

Here's a shot from our recent Lake District trip. On reflection, maybe I should have used it for the February POTY round, but I couldn't see any merit in it that evening. Taken near Alcotts Tarn above Grasmere on Portra 400 with the black Pentax MX and Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4. Processed and scanned (1200dpi) at Boots in Kendall. Bit of highlights recovery and levels adjustment in Aperture, plus colour adjustment using a spot on the wall as grey:

Here's the same shot re-scanned with Vuescan at 2400 dpi. Original colour was very different. Levels adjustment, grey point in the same spot, then some sharpening.

I prefer the first one; it looks more like how I would expect Portra to look, although maybe slightly more contrasty. The second one looks a bit flatter and has more of a retro vibe to it.

Last edited:
Only you know what it looked like on the day. I suspect neither are quite right.

Interesting indeed! The blocked out shadows (and the fact you had to recover highlights) in the first are precisely what I expect to see in high street scans, sadly it doesn't look anything like Portra to me as the poor file's had the crap kicked out of it by so much processing (by the lab, not by you). There seems to be quite a blue cast to the second but it's much more detailed tonally. The more gentle contrast and detail of the second with the colour of the first is probably somewhere around what I'd be expecting to see personally!

Last edited:
They've got a great atmosphere about them Charlotte and look much better than they would have done in b&w chems.

Only you know what it looked like on the day. I suspect neither are quite right.

Interesting indeed! The blocked out shadows (and the fact you had to recover highlights) in the first are precisely what I expect to see in high street scans, sadly it doesn't look anything like Portra to me as the poor file's had the crap kicked out of it by so much processing (by the lab, not by you). There seems to be quite a blue cast to the second but it's much more detailed tonally. The more gentle contrast and detail of the second with the colour of the first is probably somewhere around what I'd be expecting to see personally!

It was a sunny day with clouds... my wife and I agree that the sky and the grass looked more like the second picture, but the distant mountains were not so blue (and had clear snow on them), more like the first pic!

I really don't have much of a hang of colour correction!

I finally got my pushed (shot at 800 instead of box speed of 200) Agfa Vista developed! Love how it came out, even if I did have to convert it to b/w because I couldn't get red of the lurid redness of the resulting shots. Developed by AG Photo Lab (cor, they're quick!) and scanned on my Nikon Coolscan IV.

Astleys Ride bw
by bombs and monitors, on Flickr

Paul
by bombs and monitors, on Flickr

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bombsandmonitors/

They are really nice, Charlotte, and have come out very well indeed. Did you tell AG you'd pushed it?

BTW I'd have thought you were the first person in recorded history to claim AG are quick! If they've sorted out their workflow processes, they'll certainly start to get more business, as they are good quality and well priced...

They've got a great atmosphere about them Charlotte and look much better than they would have done in b&w chems.

I think you're right... glad I didn't mess them up. I can experiment on some less-important shots another time.

It was a sunny day with clouds... my wife and I agree that the sky and the grass looked more like the second picture, but the distant mountains were not so blue (and had clear snow on them), more like the first pic!

I really don't have much of a hang of colour correction!

The second looks more like how I imagine it looked in real life generally, I mention the colour as the blue was the first thing that jumped out to me; even the grass has a distinct blue cast and the RGB histogram does indeed show blue as being the dominant colour in the shadows and highlights. I don't always think trying to represent the original conditions accurately in a photo is necessarily the best thing to do, our eyes/brain correct colour in all kinds of clever ways that neither film or digital cameras (or scanners digitising film) can so sometimes I think it's better to try get colours balanced for photographic purposes rather than representative.

It's all opinion though. I'm not trying to say it's wrong, I'm just randomly blurting out the thoughts that came to me as soon as I saw the image. Nice shot by the way! :)

P.S. Apologies if I've edited this while you were trying to read it, my brain's even less active than usual tonight and I've realised several times my wording was a bit rubbish!

Last edited:
They are really nice, Charlotte, and have come out very well indeed. Did you tell AG you'd pushed it?

BTW I'd have thought you were the first person in recorded history to claim AG are quick! If they've sorted out their workflow processes, they'll certainly start to get more business, as they are good quality and well priced...

I did reply to the email they sent to tell them it was pushed, and I put a note in with the film when I sent it off, so I assume they saw one of those and processed it accordingly. I sent the film off on Tuesday, and got it back today, which I wasn't expecting!

I finally got my pushed (shot at 800 instead of box speed of 200) Agfa Vista developed! Love how it came out, even if I did have to convert it to b/w because I couldn't get red of the lurid redness of the resulting shots. Developed by AG Photo Lab (cor, they're quick!) and scanned on my Nikon Coolscan IV.

Great shots . These close ups are much better than the others on flikr which include a bit too much for my taste. Love the music tablet.

The films I sent them were turned round pretty quick too and I needed somthing that wasn't just soup. I wonder if a special request bumps you up the queue so they don't forget.

Great shots . These close ups are much better than the others on flikr which include a bit too much for my taste. Love the music tablet.
Thanks - I agree, I like the close-ups more! Especially as I managed to grab a shot of the Other Half, he's notoriously camera-avoidant.

Excellent shots Charlotte and they do look good in mono.

A few from the York mini-meet a couple of weeks ago. All of these were on my F100, Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4.5 and Agfa Vista 200, they may not all have been taken by me....

Canon Fodder or Paul as he is sometimes known

Canon-Fodder
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Some Roman Dude

Emporer-Constanine

Flower Power

Flower-Power

Raise Your Glasses, it would seem I had a good time in York even the current Mrs Snap looks reasonably happy

Raise-Your-Glasses

some flower shots, ilford delta 100, easier to work with than slide ;)

Not too keen on the first one, the flower is too far to the right of the frame, leaving you empty space on the left
I do like your last one, I'd like to see a bit more stem though
They both seem a little dark on my screen.

thanks :) i know its dark but i can see everything ok, the vase, stems and flower all show up, although youre only really seeing the vase highlights which form it which is what i was after.

some flower shots, ilford delta 100, easier to work with than slide ;)

I like both of these , the second has more of a nature study feel but I like the asymmetry and DoF in the first, great level of contrast too!

In praise of the Nikon F100- Berlin, August 2013, shot on OOD Fuji Reala 100 rated at 80 ASA, AG Dev and home V500 scans

1. Brandenburger Tor, Cosina 19-35 @19mm, Hoya CPol
12720700704_1edc626f55_b.jpg

2. Brandenburger Tor, Cosina 19-35 @35mm, Hoya CPol
12720760243_fe646e404b_b.jpg

3. Brandenburger Tor, Nikkor 28-105 AFD @105mm @35mm, Hoya CPol
12720720853_f61938ca0a_b.jpg

4.Brandenburger Tor-Shadow Selfie!, Cosina 19-35 @19mm, Hoya CPol
12720472915_ac74d526e7_b.jpg

Last edited:
After developing 4 rolls of Velvia this week (which you'll probably see more of in due course!) it was the turn of a roll of Acros last night. I was experimenting with ND grads and red filter on this roll.

This one was probably a bit overkill with a 3 stop ND grad and red filter but I still like it (I think).
Hasselblad 501C, Sonnar 150mm developed in Rodinal 1:25, 6 mins @ 20C. No post processing except a tweak to the clarity slider in LR.

Wave
by Cariadus, on Flickr

After developing 4 rolls of Velvia this week (which you'll probably see more of in due course!) it was the turn of a roll of Acros last night. I was experimenting with ND grads and red filter on this roll.

This one was probably a bit overkill with a 3 stop ND grad and red filter but I still like it (I think).
Hasselblad 501C, Sonnar 150mm developed in Rodinal 1:25, 6 mins @ 20C. No post processing except a tweak to the clarity slider in LR.

Wave
by Cariadus, on Flickr
Roger, that really is quite beautiful as well as dramatic, I do love this sort of very high contrast monochrome, the film and filter combo work for me!

I'm really liking this result Roger. The heavy blacks add the to the drama but still leave enough detail. Strangely, I've just loaded a roll of Acros into my M645J and picked up an adaptor ring so I can use my Cokin grads on it. Might have to pick up a red filter before I head out :0)

Thanks Steve, I have a Hitech red filter used in a Cokin holder, but my ND grads are cheapies, the kind that you virtually get for free when you buy a 'Cokin' holder and adapter ring set on Ebay. Hopeless for colour shots, but great for B&W. :) Keep meaning to buy some decent ND grads so I can use them with colour film.

Wave
by Cariadus, on Flickr

I like that too, great drama.

2 From my first ever shot roll of Ektar 100.

Nikon FE2 or FM2 not sure and my Nikon 105mm F2.5

Last edited:
A little selection from Wenlock Edge. F100, 24-85mm and Kodak Ektar 100.

My new friend Jess.

Mucky-Pup

Winter Reflection

Winter-Reflection

Something Nasty in the Woodpile

Something-Nasty-in-the-Woodpile

Shropshire Hills

Shropshire-pano3

Moo

Aberdeen-Angus1
Very nice the one of the dog is especially good.

Here's one I took of our puppy the other day. Not great in a technical sense, but makes me laugh (Mamiya 7ii, 80mm, TMAX 400):

Back