Show us yer film shots then!

I've been out with the Kershaw Penguin Eight20 6x9 folder that I was given (I've posted some shots I rescued from the film I found in it in another thread). Ilford FP4+, Ilfosol 1+14.

I've learned a lot.

• When you clip your latex glove to the negative and then pull your hand away, the negative drops to the floor and gets coated with an astonishing amount of dust
  • 125 ISO film wasn't the best choice for a dreary Welsh day. With one shutter speed and only F11 and F16 to choose from, I'd have gotten much better exposures with ISO400, I think - all the shots needed the exposure boosted.
  • The finder bears very little relationship to the coverage. I think it's been knocked out of alignment. It also made me love my Bronica's WLF even more.
  • I got a couple of massive overexposures, so I held the camera up to the light and dry-fired the shutter 30 or 40 times. I found that if I'm tentative with the shutter release, it can stick until I release it. So, don't do that then, Keith.
  • I think I need to develop a little extra. The negs are super-low-contrast until I get them into Lightroom.
  • If I don't get better at it really quickly, then at 3 acceptable frames per 120 film it's going to get expensive.
  • It's liberating and fun and portable and looks awesome and I love it.

Shed, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Post Box, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Trees, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Not the greatest exposure but it has captured his mood. My other dog died on Saturday and this was taken only a couple of days later. I think it shows on his face, Bob is missing his sidekick.

Mark
Sad panda :(

Get him a new buddy!!

Not the greatest exposure but it has captured his mood. My other dog died on Saturday and this was taken only a couple of days later. I think it shows on his face, Bob is missing his sidekick.

Mark

Sorry for your loss, Mark. I know how much losing a loved pet can hurt.

The composition and light on this one is exquisite.

Mark
Probably the saddest photo in this thread :(

I've been out with the Kershaw Penguin Eight20 6x9 folder that I was given (I've posted some shots I rescued from the film I found in it in another thread). Ilford FP4+, Ilfosol 1+14.

I've learned a lot.
  • It's liberating and fun and portable and looks awesome and I love it.

Shed, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Post Box, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Trees, Rhydyfelin
by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Best point you made, can't believe how much fun and how rewarding these old things are.
Remember, they were once the latest and greatest..

Mark

Aww he looks just soooo sad.

Loss hurts ...for animals and humans alike

Excellent capture from a photography pov.

Mark
Very evocative shot with a melancholy story

14446412615_36191b4812_c.jpg

Another from the very badly abused and scratched film.
Olympus XA2 (50p compact camera).
Agfa Gevaert 400S 35mm film.
Developed in R09.

Flickr Link

Well I shot this just before the world cup and thought if the England team don't get anywhere..................................................................................

14533700172_75f3b59c58_c.jpg

Stalking street with a chunky clunky SQ-A in Cambridge. Am I mad?

....................Pointing it at two bruisers like that, YES! :D

You've got more b**ls than I ......one reason why i don't dop much street / candid shooting ...come to think of it, do i do much shooting at all?:thinking::D

Reactions: Jao
I'm going to take that as a challenge ;)

Go for it... you have the confidence to shoot strangers with an SQ-A so i reckon there's not much stopping you getting pretty much any candid shot, regardless of camera....(y)

Last edited:
Following on from last weeks pinhole at Southwark Cathedral, I made a much shorter journey into Newcastle city centre yesterday and took some pinholes at the Cathedral. I discovered that taking five 15-minute exposures involves quite a lot of waiting around .....

Fuji Acros in a Holga WPC120, developed in Fotospeed FD10:

Cathedral Church of St Nicholas, by pinhole
by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

Cathedral chairs by pinhole
by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

...but if it takes a 15min exposure then anybody walking around (in the shot) doesn't show (n) ....Reminds me of the blur contest recently in that I took a 10 sec shot of a busy motorway and it looked empty (well sorta). ;)

Yashica-Mat, Shanghai GP3, Ilfosol 3 1+9.

A quick 20 minute walk to test out the Shanghai - £18 for ten rolls of 120 film seemed too good to be true and . . it isn't, at all. I'm super happy with the film at that price. I didn't see any of the problems with the backing paper some people have reported, and although it is a bit curly, it's not nearly as bad as some people have claimed. I'm guessing either I got a good batch, or their quality control is getting better.

I'm less satistied with my shooting. Experiments with shallow DoF not entirely successful, and too many focuses missed - if I'm going to carry on using the Yashica-Mat, I'm going to have to invest in a Rick Oleson split focusing screen.

View attachment 15091
View attachment 15092
View attachment 15093

Yashica-Mat, Shanghai GP3, Ilfosol 3 1+9.

... Experiments with shallow DoF not entirely successful, and too many focuses missed - if I'm going to carry on using the Yashica-Mat, I'm going to have to invest in a Rick Oleson split focusing screen.

You may need to be patient, this helped me decide to buy a Rick Oleson screen for my Autocord, but for some medical reason he's not taking orders at the moment, probably until mid July. :(

I'm less satistied with my shooting. Experiments with shallow DoF not entirely successful, and too many focuses missed - if I'm going to carry on using the Yashica-Mat, I'm going to have to invest in a Rick Oleson split focusing screen.

I had some trouble initially with focusing my Autocord and I investigated alternative focusing screens, but I found that the biggest improvement came from simply investing time to practice using the camera. I now feel no need to change the screen, which brings other headaches anyway. That said, pre-1950s TLRs might have greater need for screen changes, as I believe many of those had much darker screens than those found in later Yashica Mats, Autocords, etc.

Another point to note, don't fall into the trap of shooting everything wide open. Even f/5 is the equivalent of f/2.8 or f/1.9 on 135 format and APS-C format, respectively. Don't be afraid to stop down, especially since around f/8 or so looks fantastic on most of these Tessar-clone TLR lenses.

Last edited:
You may need to be patient, this helped me decide to buy a Rick Oleson screen for my Autocord, but for some medical reason he's not taking orders at the moment, probably until mid July. :(

Bugger!

Another point to note, don't fall into the trap of shooting everything wide open. Even f/5 is the equivalent of f/2.8 or f/1.9 on 135 format and APS-C format, respectively. Don't be afraid to stop down, especially since around f/8 or so looks fantastic on most of these Tessar-clone TLR lenses.

Good advice, ta. I looked it up on a DoF calculator after posted the above. To get the right DoF for that log, I needed more like F11 or even F16, not F4!

Its all Davids fault @minnnt :bat:So he puts a wanted add up for an OM10, I have one that I've never even had an image developed from that I bought well over tens years ago, does he want it..........NO! .......what a time waster :p :LOL:

Ok, so I changed mi mind, sorry m8 :whistle: :D went out and bought some film (3 for 7quid, where's Poundland when you want one :D) this afternoon, took the missus out and shot a roll off, took it up to Asda this evening and these are a couple of the better results.

I did have a couple that had a very bright area down the left :confused: a couple that were blown :banghead: but there were certainly one or two that for a first attempt I was happy enough with, not bad for a camera that hasn't been used for what must be at least ten years. :banana:

People aren't my thing and although she doesn't look like it here, she hates having her photo took :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've gone on enough :p.........so I'm now a convert and will definitely be taking it out more often :snaphappy:

Any advice always welcome, I'm keen to learn :)

Cheers, Phil

Lynn 1 OM10 Test shot
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Lynn 2 OM10 Test shot
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Test shot OM10
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hi Phil
Nice shots but with Asda I'm guessing that the scanner is set up for prints so in Photoshop I reduce the gamma down to about 0.7 for most shots (not all of them)....also I've had two OM10s and one OM20 and the seals were gooey and it might be the reason you had some shots with a bright area down one side.

Nicely done Phil, a lovely little camera that OM-10. As Brian says, could be that your light seals are past their best so it might be worth buying some more and replacing the old 'uns. Easy job and kits can be bought easily enough (damn can't remember the guys name who sells them....).
Welcome to the wonderful (and slightly musty) world of fillum.

Andy

Nicely done Phil, a lovely little camera that OM-10. As Brian says, could be that your light seals are past their best so it might be worth buying some more and replacing the old 'uns. Easy job and kits can be bought easily enough (damn can't remember the guys name who sells them....).

Andy
It's Jon Goodman that sells the seals email him here >>> JGood21967@aol.com

Thats him... Jon Goodman, told you I'd remember it :D

Hi Phil
Nice shots but with Asda I'm guessing that the scanner is set up for prints so in Photoshop I reduce the gamma down to about 0.7 for most shots (not all of them)....also I've had two OM10s and one OM20 and the seals were gooey and it might be the reason you had some shots with a bright area down one side.

Andy

Cheers Brian, Andy :)

I must be a bit dim but for some reason, being shot on film, I thought that I couldn't make any adjustments in Photoshop :confused::oops: :$ :D

I have E11 but my pp'ing skills are very limited, apart from adjusting the sliders in ACR and a bit of cloning, that's it. I'm guessing I can alter the gamma in E11? I'll have a good look later :)

As for the seals, I wouldn't have a clue but I'll have a Google and also look on youtube. Out of the 24 shots 4 looked like this, at random intervals. Could this be caused by the failing light seals?

OM10 Test Shot 8
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers Brian, Andy :)

I must be a bit dim but for some reason, being shot on film, I thought that I couldn't make any adjustments in Photoshop :confused::oops: :$ :D

I have E11 but my pp'ing skills are very limited, apart from adjusting the sliders in ACR and a bit of cloning, that's it. I'm guessing I can alter the gamma in E11? I'll have a good look later :)

As for the seals, I wouldn't have a clue but I'll have a Google and also look on youtube. Out of the 24 shots 4 looked like this, at random intervals. Could this be caused by the failing light seals?

OM10 Test Shot 8
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

H'mm looks like the wrong exposure to me....with light seals gone you usually get a white splash in your shot, but a slight leak can looks like this:-

Just couldn't solve this intermittent light leak with this camera and threw it away.

That looks a lot more like dust to me.

Yes indeed it's Asda dust spots but there is a patch of a different colour. A better e.g. of a light leak and it's in the same position, different film and month and same M42 Petri camera:-

Last edited:
H'mm looks like the wrong exposure to me....with light seals gone you usually get a white splash in your shot,.....

Strange, I didn't think I was that far out on any of them :confused: I did have a couple where the sky was blown but the detail is good in the f/g.....:thinking: ....is it possible for the shutter to stick open slightly causing over exposure? Reason I ask is I did think once or twice the shutter sounded very slow.

Think the one above was 1/500th f8 ISO 200 which I wouldn't have thought would have looked so blown :confused:

And now I've looked on Google and know were the light seals are, the one on the right (as you look from the back) was completely off and actually over the film roller apart from a little bit still stuck on the bottom :rolleyes: so I've stuck it back where it belongs . The left one looks ok but I'll get a set and replace them anyway :)

cheers, Phil

On a sunny day your exposure reading should have been OK....but if you hold the neg up to the light you will see if the image looks the same compared to a known good one.

Here are a few (sorry, fairly uninteresting!) shots from my first stab at C41 development last week. This was a roll of Fuji Superia 200 taken by the misses about 13 years ago, and found recently rattling around in the back of a drawer. Given it was my first go at C41, I suspect my thermometer isn't too accurate and the age of the film, I'm quite happy with the results :)

I scanned the film on my Epson V550 as linear positives and reversed the images using the ColorPerfect Photoshop plugin. This seems to be the most accurate way to extract the correct colour from the film. I tidied up a few dust spots, straightened the horizons and added a bit of contrast in Lightroom.

There are circular artefacts on some of the shots – see the top of the sky below – is this due to not wiping the film properly after the final wash?

This one came out of the tank very unsaturated for some reason (film age?) Took a large boost in Lightroom to make it look like this:

View attachment 15209

View attachment 15210

There are some interesting colour casts on a few frames, but I think the lighting conditions on the London shots are mostly responsible for that. Despite the passage of time, I remember that evening, and there was a strange, 'dirty' light over the city as the sun dropped. Shooting through the glass of the pod of the London Eye probably didn't help.

View attachment 15211

Another streak on this one. I guess I need to improve my squeegie action!

View attachment 15212

Not a very interesting shot, but I'm really pleased how the colours have come out with this one. This was straight out of the scanner + ColorPerfect, with a small contrast boost in Lightroom.

View attachment 15213

You might try a wetting agent, a couple of drops of washing up liquid does it for me.

Back