Show us yer film shots then!

Another 54 from me, not sure what happened to the neg its very thin but scanned okay. Need to try some test shots to get the best out of the rest of this foma100.

Any way waited a solid 15 minutes for a decent break in the wind but there was still a bit of movement during the 1s exposure, but I quite like it as a little bit abstract need to revisit these in better light/better film.
Blown Pine by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Michael, that first ones actually a bit disturbing.
I like em both, particularly the darkened skies in the second one

View attachment 15593

A shot taken from the top of the of the Ace Of Spades Dragline at Stobswood Opencast Site in the North East the hight of this machine is one and a half times Nelsons Column. Picture taken on my Bronica ETRsi, 40mm lens onto Portra 400 film.

Super, but it's making my hands go clammy and my feet tingle…don't like heights much..

Liking both of these David but No. 1 is especially appealing.

Andy

View attachment 15593

A shot taken from the top of the of the Ace Of Spades Dragline at Stobswood Opencast Site in the North East the hight of this machine is one and a half times Nelsons Column. Picture taken on my Bronica ETRsi, 40mm lens onto Portra 400 film.

You'll need to compile all of these photos for a thread in the Photos from Film section. While I'm enjoying the individual photographs, I'd love to see them presented as a comprehensive series.

14430839270_ba6bf37873_c.jpg

Flickr Link

Bronica SQ-A camera
Zenzanon PS 150mm f/4 lens
Ilford FP4 Plus 120 film
Home developed in ID11

14430839270_ba6bf37873_c.jpg

Flickr Link

Bronica SQ-A camera
Zenzanon PS 150mm f/4 lens
Ilford FP4 Plus 120 film
Home developed in ID11

Paul,who is this subject,you must know him? Come spill the beans and give the full story.

Managed to get a few shots in-between the rain at glastonbury. Both shot on fuji xtra-400 on an om10.

glaston10 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

glaston13 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

The second shot is just superb,great contrast,great composition and most of all great juxtaposition,between England's festivals and the American Mafia. I like this a lot.
juxtaposition

No idea. Candid street portrait. Stood still zooming for some time though. Never saw me, didn't hear the Brony go CLUNK.

Well that is a great candid.(y)

Bronica SQ-A, Shanghai GP3

More learning. Contrasty scenes, super-contrasty exposures, not entirely controlled, but I like the results. Not convinced by my focusing, though. Or is it camera shake?

View attachment 15789 View attachment 15791 View attachment 15790

And this one was a snapshot, for obvious reasons.

View attachment 15792

I like what you're going for in the first two, as I'm a fan of shooting toward the sun, although I probably would have tried to hide the sun just a tad more behind the tree to reduce the contrast in the scene.

It looks like focusing is off on the third and fourth photographs (focus is in front of the tree and behind the sheep, respectively). What are you using to determine focus? Split-image patch? Are you using the magnifier? There's really no right or wrong answer to which to use, I suppose, but lots of practice will help.

A bit more depth of field might also be something to seriously consider as well.

Last edited:
It looks like focusing is off on the third and fourth photographs (focus is in front of the tree and behind the sheep, respectively). What are you using to determine focus? Split-image patch? Are you using the magnifier? There's really no right or wrong answer to which to use, I suppose, but lots of practice will help.

A bit more depth of field might also be something to seriously consider as well.

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, magnified split-image. The sheep was a snap-shot before it ran away, so I'll forgive myself for that. You're right about the third one though - I do seem to have focussed on the fence instead of the tree. I don't remember what I actually tried to do, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I used the fence because it was easier to focus than the tree! My continual problem has been overestimating the DoF I'm going to get - I think I'll print out a table to put in my bag. I did make an effort this time - f/8 rather than wide open. I think I really needed smaller, but couldn't get it with the ISO 100 film. I don't trust myself to hand-hold below 1/60.

Cheers, again!

I like that one Asha, lovely dof and lines.

Another from the C330 on Acros 100

White-Rose1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

That's a great shot. What are you using for the backdrop? A piece of material? I'm asking as it looks so even and clean. I've taken a few still life shots in the past and been really disappointed with my backgrounds (which have usually been hastily built from scraps of anything plain lying around!)

Thanks guys. Its just the dining room wall, painted in a darkish terracotta. I placed the subject about three feet away and shot from about two feet at f8.

Andy

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, magnified split-image. The sheep was a snap-shot before it ran away, so I'll forgive myself for that. You're right about the third one though - I do seem to have focussed on the fence instead of the tree. I don't remember what I actually tried to do, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I used the fence because it was easier to focus than the tree!

I personally don't use the split-image much, I just go by what looks sharp usually, but this changes depending upon what I'm shooting. With a bit of practice, it is possible to become proficient using any one of several different focusing strategies. If you like the split image, use it until it's second nature.

My continual problem has been overestimating the DoF I'm going to get - I think I'll print out a table to put in my bag. I did make an effort this time - f/8 rather than wide open.

With regard to estimating depth of field, I usually just use the markings on the lens, although I tend to err on the side of Bronica having slightly overstated the DOF at any given aperture. If it's a really close portrait or something very close focus and I'm looking to be very precise about what appears sharp in the frame, then I just pull out the iPhone and use a DOF calculator.

I think I really needed smaller, but couldn't get it with the ISO 100 film. I don't trust myself to hand-hold below 1/60.

I generally only use 100 ISO film when I'm on holiday and there's tons of sun about or I'm using a tripod (there's not much light here in Scotland, maybe you can get away with 100 speed film down south more often). If you're having to handhold at 1/60, then you're probably wasting the sharpness that the ISO 100 film provided anyway by introducing camera shake (or just enough shake that it'd have been better to have the additional grain of ISO 400 film to get a more manageable shutter speed). The beauty of medium format is that there is minimal grain at ISO 400.

That said, if you really need the shot though, go for the 1/60 or whatever's necessary. I've been experimenting with handholding 1/30 recently and I've been getting pretty good results actually, but it takes some practice; I wouldn't have been able to manage that last year.

The beauty of medium format is that there is minimal grain at ISO 400.

Aye, I'm not shooting it for the lack of grain, I'm shooting it because it's £1.80 a roll. If GP3 was ISO400 I'd be sorted. :p I do have a couple of HP5+ in the fridge, though, and I'll treat the Bronica to a roll.

Thanks for the advice. I must remember the DoF markings - I do use them sometimes, but I need to slow down the process and remember to check them for each shot. It'll be good practice.

On the positive side - no light leaks, so I guess I managed to fit the seals ok.

Aye, I'm not shooting it for the lack of grain, I'm shooting it because it's £1.80 a roll. If GP3 was ISO400 I'd be sorted. :p I do have a couple of HP5+ in the fridge, though, and I'll treat the Bronica to a roll.

Thanks for the advice. I must remember the DoF markings - I do use them sometimes, but I need to slow down the process and remember to check them for each shot. It'll be good practice.

On the positive side - no light leaks, so I guess I managed to fit the seals ok.

Well, fair enough on saving money, but I know that I'd rather have a £3.60 roll of film where no frames are wasted due to lack of speed than a £1.80 roll of film where I struggle to manage hand-holdable speeds and waste half of the roll.

I find the DOF markers on the SQ lenses invaluable and pretty easy to read compared to other camera systems. I very regularly consult the markers, especially if I'm doing any outdoor/landscape/scenery/tripod type photography.

Glad to hear that you've fitted the seals successfully. :)

Last edited:
Well, fair enough on saving money, but I know that I'd rather have a £3.60 roll of film where no frames are wasted due to lack of speed than a £1.80 roll of film where I struggle to manage hand-holdable speeds and waste half of the roll.

Have to agree with skysh4rk here; the frequently-heard stories of backing numbers appearing on GP3 are an even better reason to avoid it. Ilford XP2 super and Rollei IR400 are two examples of films which in MF provide very little grain.

This was handheld on Rollei IR400 in a Yashicamat 124G:

Vintage in Wales by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

This was handheld on Ilford XP2 Super in a Yashicamat 124G:

Advertising velocipede by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

Last edited:
There I am searching 'single speed fixie' bikes on the bay, email notice from the forum pops up and I open this :) Lovely looking bike (Trek B2RS?), and great image :)

Last edited:
Cheers, it's a Trek District with a belt drive, frame's too big but I can't find any smaller, but still fun to ride.

From a trip this week to Gibside, a National Trust property near Gateshead. I had to get a low viewpoint to minimise the view of the 7 foot wire fence which prevents access to the ruined hall, so kneeled down and hand-held the Mamiya RZ67 loaded with Fuji Reala. I need to remove the centre column from my tripod so that I can get to this level and still use the tripod.

Summer at Gibside
by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back