Show us yer film shots then!

Belize. G1 35mm f2. Neopan 400 @ 800

belize%202.jpg

Looks like this came out very well!

I must say though, you are very brave! Did you use a 20-year-old roll of film for your holiday photos and then home develop it?

I did! But only two rolls of expired film (the Reala and a roll of Neopan), the rest was fresh Tri-X, Ektar and Portra. Hand holding at the slower shutter speeds required for the low ISO was tough. I was down to 1/15th and slower for some of them, which shows what's possible with a waist level finder. As you know, the neck strap acts as a sort of 'reverse tripod' if you pull the camera tight. There are small streaks on a couple of frames, but other than that it's as good as all the fresh stuff I took.

We got up at dawn one day to take some shots before the hordes of tourists arrived off the cruise ships. Typically it was murky and drizzling, but as I was up I thought I'd make the most of it. I have a very clear memory of taking the attached shot, stood legs wide apart, holding my breath and timing the shutter release in-between heart beats! :wideyed:

View attachment 21123

I did! But only two rolls of expired film (the Reala and a roll of Neopan), the rest was fresh Tri-X, Ektar and Portra. Hand holding at the slower shutter speeds required for the low ISO was tough. I was down to 1/15th and slower for some of them, which shows what's possible with a waist level finder. As you know, the neck strap acts as a sort of 'reverse tripod' if you pull the camera tight. There are small streaks on a couple of frames, but other than that it's as good as all the fresh stuff I took.

We got up at dawn one day to take some shots before the hordes of tourists arrived off the cruise ships. Typically it was murky and drizzling, but as I was up I thought I'd make the most of it. I have a very clear memory of taking the attached shot, stood legs wide apart, holding my breath and timing the shutter release in-between heart beats! :wideyed:

View attachment 21123

Spot on mate, love it.

Andy

They have to build this machine underground as it's won't fit down the main shaft! It's an awesome sight to see this beast cutting but not very good for photographs because of all the dust.

Yeah I'd imagine with the flash it would look like photographing in a cloud of midges!

^^^^^ H'mm looks a dodgy area Mell ;) A guy used to post here of dodgy parts of Los Angeles and got his camera nicked.

Last edited:
I was definitely NOT the official wedding photo person, nor was I, surprisingly, the only filmy.
This is agfa vista, dev'd at home, shot using an oly trip in some rather manky conditions. Ya'll notice there's only one person diving for the bouquet?
walliswedding010 by Mads.S, on Flickr

Great work Mark, really like these!

David.

Mark, I have spent some time looking at these images, in truth I tend to prefer slightly more contrast in my monochrome shots (possibly too much sometimes!). That said, these are a truly lovely documentary set of images, the composition is busy in a positive way and the very effective use of wider apertures has created 'spot on' depth of field to isolate important image elements, whist keeping just enough information in the out of focus areas.

I have recently been shooting a lot at wide apertures but I have not been able to nail the effect that you have so successfully achieved in these. The real winner for me though in all three images is that you have created something utterly timeless. As far as I can see it is only the bottom of the battery pack on the camera held buy the chap in the final image that says this is a contemporary picture, even the guy in the mobility scooter in #2 could be interpreted as being a fella in an old chair! All round these are simple great!

Many thanks both!

I tend to scan on auto and do little adjustment Adrian so a tweak on the contrast might be more suitable - I have heard it said that a tweak of contrast is usually needed to correct scanning.

Regards

Mark

I managed to catch the last hour or so at the Great Yarmouth Street Circus on Sunday.

The act that I really enjoyed was a piece called "Frantic" performed by Acrojou.

They describe it as ....Love, freedom, blood, sweat and rain-storms: Frantic is an explosive and moving exploration of our relentless devotion to busyness.

Acrobatics and dance-theatre choreographed around a bespoke structure, Frantic uses a rich physical language to pull apart it’s subject – the reality of a running mind and one man’s thirst for escape.

If you ever get a chance to see them it is well worth it.

Here are a few shots...

Frantic by Acrojou (1) by wickerman6, on Flickr

Frantic by Acrojou (4) by wickerman6, on Flickr

Frantic by Acrojou (6) by wickerman6, on Flickr

Frantic by Acrojou (9) by wickerman6, on Flickr

Frantic by Acrojou (12) by wickerman6, on Flickr

Minolta 700, Tri-X400, Xtol 1:1

I was definitely NOT the official wedding photo person, nor was I, surprisingly, the only filmy.
This is agfa vista, dev'd at home, shot using an oly trip in some rather manky conditions. Ya'll notice there's only one person diving for the bouquet?
walliswedding010 by Mads.S, on Flickr
Can't believe you didn't enter this for the "Things are looking up" challenge. Would have got my vote.

Ah damn, too late to change it lol. Tbh I'd already put my shot in for that when I went to the wedding

A few from my recent roll on the Minolta Autocord. You know, the one I don't get on with. Tri-X, dev and scan by Peak.

1) Cottages on Castle Green, Kenilworth

2) Grand houses near the Castle, Edinburgh

3) St Stephen's church, Edinburgh

Oh dear. It would be easier if they were horrible. Looking at the scans 100% (even scanned at low res, 600 dpi), they are remarkable. Beginning to see why folk are so seduced by MF!

Good job you don't get on with it Chris, those are rubbish....:D

Actually a really good set, looks like that Minolta and you are starting to see eye to eye.(y)

Ah, that explains the webbing then.

Last edited:
I had my Canon AE-1 out and about over the last few days, took the lens a Canon FD 28mm 1:2.8 off Automatic and started to play with the settings just to see if I could work it and get the setting right. Here are some parts of an old Crichton Threshing Machine which I used to practice dof.

Film Ilford
View attachment 21207 View attachment 21208 View attachment 21209 View attachment 21210

Looks like you've cracked the DOF, even as a practice set its a nice cohesive study of the device.

A couple from the Ikonta, 12 months ago I dragged it on a long walk across the less well travelled parts of the hills only shot about 5 frames and the film languished in the camera for about 9 months. I need to go back there on a less windy day the water house is a very interesting if weird sixties spaceship, doubly odd when you consider most of the water houses on pentland reservoir's look like conventional Victorian buildings. The highlights...

West Water Resevoir by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

West Water Resevoir "Tide" Lines by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Ah, 'the ship' - my old home!

I was waiting for my connection and walked to the end of the platform to have a cheeky roll up and turned around and thought "hey that's some cool angles and lines going on bet that would look neat on B+W"

Handy as I had my camera loaded with Acros. ;)

E2A: is it as nice as it looks outside on the inside? :D

Last edited:
Went out for a walk yesterday lunchtime with the 645Pro and a roll of OOD Acros 100. We've recently moved back to Port Sunlight (on the Wirral) to the 'Home' of Unilever so the surroundings are much nicer than the faceless office I've been based in for the last 13 years, and I'm now working 1 mile for home :0)

These were all handheld and metered using the built in Prism meter. I'll put more shots into their own thread.

1) Across the fountain to the Lady Lever Art Gallery

Mamiya 645Pro - 35mm 3.5 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2) Statue in the Lady Lever Art Gallery

3) Archway to the memorial

4) Oops!

I had a bit of a fight getting the film onto the spool for some reason which I later realised had led to a small rip in the film. Unfortunately, I only realised this after I squeegee'd the water off...and now have two separate rolls of film!

Slightly too rough with the squeegee! by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back