Show us yer film shots then!

Taking a medium format to unlikely places. This is a shot from Camp Muir (10188ft/3105m) on route to the top of Mt. Rainier (14,411 feet/4,392m) in Washington State. A climber is finally making it to the camp before sun down. This is really cropped. I had the horizon so crooked I can't believe I didn't notice it while taking the picture.

Pentax SMC 55mm f4, Kodak VHC

Excellent

Taking a medium format to unlikely places. This is a shot from Camp Muir (10188ft/3105m) on route to the top of Mt. Rainier (14,411 feet/4,392m) in Washington State. A climber is finally making it to the camp before sun down. This is really cropped. I had the horizon so crooked I can't believe I didn't notice it while taking the picture.

stunning!

Last summer, a photo buddy said lets climb to this lookout and get a sunrise shot. We departed for the destination at 3:30AM at the great expense of some beauty sleep. But the Sun was already up by time we made it to the top. This lookout is built on top of boulders at the very top of the mountain. Inside this lookout are old pictures dating back to 1918 of a mountaineer club posing where this lookout is now. Back then they had to haul a very large camera up there too. The women in the pictures were wearing dresses to go hiking.

Zeiss Distagon CB T* 60mm f3.5, Yellow filter, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro, Pentax Spotmeter V

And here is a view standing on the deck of the lookout

Zeiss Sonnar 150mm CF T* f4, Grad ND0.6 + Yellow filter, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro, Pentax Spotmeter V

Superb Tuco, just wonderful. I need to get up a hill soon, I've not taken any shots from above ground level for months.

Andy

A couple taken last weekend in the Cairngorms. The Xpan with Kodak Ektar 100.

5621874467_2a2f9dc280_b.jpg

5621871303_83a735882a_b.jpg

Superb Tuco, just wonderful. I need to get up a hill soon, I've not taken any shots from above ground level for months.

Andy
Thanks. Spring is late here. I'm still waiting for the rain and temperature to warm up some to go do more hiking.

A couple taken last weekend in the Cairngorms. The Xpan with Kodak Ektar 100.

Nice, I'd love to have one of those cameras.

Another shot while on a hike...

Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8, Grad ND0.6 + Yellow Filter, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro, Pentax Spotmeter V

These landscapes are brilliant. I must say, ive neglected how good black and white can be for this type of photography.

Tuco, can you just talk me through your metering 'method' when using the spot meter - use post number #4393 above as a starting point.

By the way, I will let you know when you put up a duff picture (it's easier that way :D)

Regards

Alistair

Tuco, can you just talk me through your metering 'method' when using the spot meter - use post number #4393 above as a starting point.

By the way, I will let you know when you put up a duff picture (it's easier that way :D)

Regards

Alistair

My spot meter reads in EV with an analog type dial. I prefer it over a digital spot meter which I also have but never use. I took a reading on the cloud casted shadow on the forest floor and the white in clouds. I took note the difference in EV values (stops). I decided I could place the darkest parts of the shadow 3 stops below middle gray (=zone II) exposure so I added 3 EV to the darkest shadow reading and that would be my exposure rounding off as to not deal with 1/3 stops (lens only has 1/2 stop aperture changes).

I could also see the clouds would be pushed to 4 or so stops above middle gray based on that exposure. I pulled out the graduated ND filter to give some help there and a yellow for more sky contrast. I added an additional stop of exposure for the yellow filter and took the shot.

That pretty much goes for any shot with the spot meter. I take a look at the light range of a scene, decide what is more important highlights, shadows or a balance and then select an exposure based on that decision. One exception often is people shots. I'll just take a quick reading on the skin and place that value (usually one stop above middle gray) and let the low and high values of the scene fall where they will because often the skin value is the most important thing for these shots. Sometimes I'll add a 1/2 stop and under develop the film if I want to try and bring in more high values based on what I picked for a middle gray. But that is only with the Hasselblad because I can just put on a new back and devote that roll to that kind of exposures.

One nice nice thing with a one-degree spot meter (at the expense of quick shooting) is, with some practice, you know in advance of taking the picture what parts of a scene will fall to accent black or white based on your exposure to a decent accuracy. Occasionally there is a surprise that you brought in more or less than you expected. Since this is 120 film with only 10 to 12 frames per roll (depends on which camera I'm using), I keep track of selected exposures on a notepad I always carry in my camera bag. This helps a lot when things don't turn out as planned for the next time.

I was in Birmingham centre at a UCU meeting to get some photos, a few weeks back it was nice and hot for this time of year and the guy in the photo was dancing and pretending to fly with his arms out.

Developed and printed at home.

Film info. RPX 100 B&W

Shadesman.jpg

crown graphic / FP4 125

These are both from last summer, really looking forward to using my crown graphic again especially as the shutter has been serviced and I have a jobo :D

crown graphic / FP4 125

These are both from last summer, really looking forward to using my crown graphic again especially as the shutter has been serviced and I have a jobo :D

Nice. Years ago I almost picked up a speed graphic in good working order. Today, I wish I would have. :(

A few from the Lake district last weekend.

All on a Ross Ensign 12-20 on Fuji Pro 160S which I rather like.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, I must say that this set is good, I particularly like the first and last, not sure about that post and from a layman, maybe a tripod and long exposure on the last would have ironed away those ripples into something quiet interesting.(y)

All in all great very good to look at.(y)

I have to agree with this just 100%, all are just wonderful unless you hear different Smithee;) (y)

Andy, I must say that this set is good, I particularly like the first and last, not sure about that post and from a layman, maybe a tripod and long exposure on the last would have ironed away those ripples into something quiet interesting.(y)

All in all great very good to look at.(y)

Thanks mate. I wasn't sure about the post to be honest but felt it needed a little fg interest, probably wrong on this occasion.
As to the tripod option, although its a good idea I was carrying a D300 with 300mm lens as well and I couldn't lift anything else....:D

Andy

A few from the Lake district last weekend.

All on a Ross Ensign 12-20 on Fuji Pro 160S which I rather like.

From-Elterwater by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Bowness-Pier by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Colwith-Falls by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Elterwater-and-the-Pikes by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

Well - if you hadn't said Fuji Pro160s I'd have sworn blind they were on Velvia - there's defnitely a good dose of Fuji Green going on in them ;)

I'll probably comment in a little more detail in the Crit. thread mate, but Don't worry - it'll be relatively positive :LOL: - despite them leaving me even more desperate for a trip up there with the camera kit.

It's about time we had a decent picture of a tree, so I present to you a.....tree:-

FDN 50mm f1.8 Reala
fdn50mm800px.jpg

Hi Javier
It might be too hot for oak trees down your way?... but common in England and can make fascinating subjects, even blown over and dead.

Hi Javier
It might be too hot for oak trees down your way?... but common in England and can make fascinating subjects, even blown over and dead.

Oak trees are considered an endangered species where I live. If you cut one down depending on the age of the tree the fine is between $10k to $100k, even in your own private property.
I happen to have one in my yard and it is very cool.

Yes, I think we all have some tree shots. How about a budding tree and shrubbery...

Rolleicord IV, Schneider Xenar 75mm f3.5, Rollei Orange filter, Acros, PMK Pyro

How about a part of a tree:-

Helios 44m
helios58mmgold14.jpg

A dead tree:-
Nikon 50mm f1.8:-
nikon50mm.jpg

Last edited:
Mossy trees

Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f8, f64, Tri-X Pan, PMK Pyro

Last edited:
Some very nice pictures being posted here.

This is one from a Minolta Autocord using TriX 400 on a very dull, overcast day in February this year. It was my first roll through the Autocord and though the camera was on a tripod and I still was struggling with the setup (fast coming to believe that I am a 35mm type of creature!) I over agitated this development

Gate in Chatsworth

5636657927_05eecb93bb_b.jpg

all that's left is nature
8068d728.jpg

Canon A-1 with FDn 28mm/2.8 using Kodak BW400CN ...dev/scan by PhotoExpress

Last edited:
***all that's left is nature***

Looks like someone lived there once...might be worth getting some close up shots now that you have the overall picture.

***all that's left is nature***
Looks like someone lived there once...might be worth getting some close up shots now that you have the overall picture.

ongoing project.....
this is the original farmcottages
met the landowner/farmer, and there are 5 such derelict sites on his acreage
permission to visit granted......(y)
cottages
482ce5cd.jpg

Canon A-1 with FDn 28/2.8

***and there are 5 such derelict sites on his acreage***

...and who would think 18 miles from London you get places like this (taken a week ago):-

Makinon 28mm f2.8 (quite a good lens) Reala film
mak28mm2800px.jpg

Back to 35mm. Trying a combination of Rollei Retro 100 @ 80 in Rodinal 1:25 for 7 mins. (As I was testing a piece of kit, I was not that precise regarding the developing stage - I just needed to make certain there were no scratches on the film etc)

Much better tonality than the 120 post I uploaded recently (the weather was totally different of course) Still, back to black, white and shades.

Hackney

5639274245_617a1b1c5f_b.jpg

A walk through the trees:-

Meyer 50mm Oreston, Fuji Superia 200asa one of the shots without a smudge, mentioned in another thread.
Meyer50mm12800px.jpg

not special - but posted to ask..

28mm with Orange filter - I expected the sky to have more contrast - should i use 'red'
8ec5341a.jpg

Back