Other Macro Show us your macro rig

I'm new to Macro stuff, having just ordered my Raynox 250 :)

I have one question which I can't seem to figure out though, I see all these extensions before lenses people have, which I can only assume are what people are calling "tubes" - what are they? And are they expensive? What's their purpose?

Thanks!

Extension tubes mount between the lens and the body - they increase magnification by moving the lens elements further away from the sensor. They're also called extensions rings.

And are they expensive? What's their purpose?

Thanks!

they're relatively cheap, especially when compared to the price of a macro lens.

On most of the cheap ones you'll loose electronic communication between the camera and lens so you'll be in manual on the lens meaning you'll have to focus manually and if you want to select a smaller aperture than fully open (If you're on an electronic aperture lens) pressing the DOF preview button with the lens mounted on the camera and removing the lens whilst holding the DOF preview button locks the lenses aperture in place, then mount it on your tubes.

Last edited:
Thanks Bondy :)

I am amazed at the results that the chap above has achieved! Makes me wonder why I spent £600ish on an MPE65!

Because the MPE-65 is THE Daddy of macro lenses and does 5 times life size, worth every penny IMO and if i can ever afford one i will have one, i also think you get better DOF with it although i may be corrected.
I have the Raynox for now and plan on using it to try and master technique, after all, i don't want all the gear and no idea :bonk:
Stick with it as i am sure many people who have the Raynox respect the quality of the MPE-65 and don't forget, very often the Raynox is on the front of some pricey glass too ;)
Atb
Cliff

Anyone successfully DIY'd a ring flash diffuser? I have a cheap Meike which is great until you shoot something shiny. I see Tucker on pg7 has the same issue :shrug:

550d + 50mm + polaroid Extension tubes + offending flash (see ring of light on the head!)

Because the MPE-65 is THE Daddy of macro lenses and does 5 times life size, worth every penny IMO and if i can ever afford one i will have one, i also think you get better DOF with it although i may be corrected.
I have the Raynox for now and plan on using it to try and master technique, after all, i don't want all the gear and no idea :bonk:
Stick with it as i am sure many people who have the Raynox respect the quality of the MPE-65 and don't forget, very often the Raynox is on the front of some pricey glass too ;)
Atb
Cliff

I will stick with it Cliff but if you ever get the chance I would suggest you try before you buy! It's peerless for *very* small beasts but tricky for normal size bugs (flies, bees etc) and I'm not convinced the quality is any better than the 100mm (for example) :)

Thanks for the prompt reply Laurence.

Not often something is cheap with this hobby!

Why have I never thought ot using the tap and sink like that for droplets. Of course it'd take a bit of fine adjustment to get the tap dripping regularly but much easier than setting up stands with bags of water and flow regulators :).

T'is the reason why I haven't tried droplets much (esp. with a 3 yr old about :) ).

I use the sink too but with a glass vase as then I can put different coloured placemats behind for a bit of added interest, it's been a while now though so I may have to try again :D (any excuse)

Here is mine.

Home made diffuser for on board flash - thin plastic plate. Works quite well, but I a, going to improve it next time I am out :) 29mmCarl Zeiss Jener lens on extension tubes :) gets 4.5:1

8mfl4.jpg

ndwgolf said:
What lens would you reccomend for a newbie micro shooter on a D800e ???

I would look at the Nikon 105 2.8 vr it is an awesome lens.

Well I got myself one extension tube set a X2 teleconverter and reversing ring, in the picture I have a nikon 50mm on the end but I also put my kit 18-55 on , the extension tube cost £8 ,reversing £1.69p and the teleconverter cost £9.95p , I still need to work on my technique so not to much to show right now...

Macro_setup_zpsac90eb53.jpg

a Spider shot with the extension tube set and the 50mm

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
My pleasure Alby, I've never had a serious try at macro.

All the "inventiveness" shown both on here and the Canon forum make me want to have a go at both making something and macro.

I hope I'm not caught visiting the Canon forum, I'm worried the Nikon police may turn up and confiscate all my gear.

My pleasure Alby, I've never had a serious try at macro.

All the "inventiveness" shown both on here and the Canon forum make me want to have a go at both making something and macro.

I hope I'm not caught visiting the Canon forum, I'm worried the Nikon police may turn up and confiscate all my gear.

:D I have been a member on POTN for ages but don't use it much anymore due to time, I found TP more local as POTN seemed more international. I like the fact it is easier to meet up with people face to face with TP.

Sony A700 + Sony 50mm f1.8 + Raynox DCR120 AND DCR250 Stacked + Meike MK14 Macro ring.

8672287736_9de34d3d81_b.jpg

Chris,

Do you have any shots taken using the Meike ring flash? Just wondering how good they are.

Thanks Chris, doing a quick check at what is available, and there seems to be two Meike models that look like the one in your image. The EXM and the EXT, do you know the differences?

Thanks Chris, doing a quick check at what is available, and there seems to be two Meike models that look like the one in your image. The EXM and the EXT, do you know the differences?

One is Manual ('EXM' which i have) and the other TTL 'EXT'

Mine was purchased from Amazon by 'DSLRKIT' for £69. Its shipped from China but arrived in about 10 days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Chris, much appreciated.

Wonder if someone can help me out here please.

I have the Canon 100mm l lens. Love taking insect and close up photos with it. What can I add onto it to get even more detail of say a bees hairy toe. At the moment I can get some nice detail on insect. I want to go the next step and get amazing detail like the photos you see of flies eyes etc.

Wonder if someone can help me out here please.

I have the Canon 100mm l lens. Love taking insect and close up photos with it. What can I add onto it to get even more detail of say a bees hairy toe. At the moment I can get some nice detail on insect. I want to go the next step and get amazing detail like the photos you see of flies eyes etc.

Raynox 250 added on top of the 100 would do the trick... it will get you somewhere in the vicinity of 2.5:1 and add a couple of tubes and should get u even closer

Back