Midlands Shropshire - viewpoints for Milkyway

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

As per the title really, searching for a decent viewpoint in shropshire of the Milky Way. Live in wem but will to travel within reason.

Many thanks for any help. Also if anyone knows of any decent star trail locations as well I.e. With decent foreground interest then please let me know.

About a year or so ago I went to clee hill and the surrounding areas to try for star/milky way photography but wasn't that impressed and still thought there was too much light pollution (I'm used to y parents place in rural france where it really is pitch black).
I ended up the next day heading into snowdonia national park instead (don't remember exact spots,but scouted in the day for good locations), and found it to be a LOT darker and miles better. Could look up and see the milky way clearly after eyes had adjusted. not as dark as france but thats where id suggest going. Make sure to keep out of any nearby towns as it did make a massive difference. I believe i was about 15-20 mins from Blaenau Ffestiniog, back inland again. It was a couple hours from shropshire, however i definitely did not do the quick route there as i spent the whole day in the park then evening found that spot.

can't give you location advice but this is a useful link

There's some nice countryside up near Clive, and some interesting bits around the quarries there. Bit further away but the Stiperstones would be good too...

Rented a cottage near the Stiperstones, was pretty dark there and got some very nice sunset photos too

Right on your doorstep try Moreton Corbett or I believe that a few people go to Roden with telescopes :)

Back