Shutter's 2011 52 ** Week 6 - Clutter **

Hiya Kris,

First of all welcome to the Photo52, even though we are into week 4 already.

Don't know how I missed your thread, but seeing as you have been quite active tonight and I have seen your name pop up all over the other members threads I thought it only courteous to pop past and see how you are getting on.

Week 1: I really like your take on this theme, although I think a stronger DOF would have benefited the image.

Week 2: Like the idea of the 'new', but find the image a bit too busy, with the focus being on the wrong subjects. Also the reflection on the tuning pegs is a bit distracting.

Week 3: I love this/these images - very indicative of the 'Style' theme.

Week 4: Appreciate your take on the theme of a 'wide open road', just think the image is a little soft and flat. It needs a bit of punch and a bit of creativity injected into it, which you have proved you have in the first 3 images.

Otherwise I think you are bob on with the interpretation of the themes.

Now that I have you tagged I look forward to seeing what you come up with for week 5.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Kris

Totally love your style shots & am more than a touch envious as have'nt figured out how to do selective coloring yet :bonk:
The B&W with color shot is great but I also really like the full color version ,great strong colors .Think it would work well blown up & on a wall somewhere ,definately a talking piece(y)

Your week 4 shot also appeals .Took me a while to realise there are vehicles in it ! You've just taught me that long exposures can work in daylight ,THANKS

Look forward to seeing your next shots (y)

Nice one Kris it's a good shot., maybe its the time of year .a bit of a spruce up on the old levels might give it a bit of a boost ;)

Week 4 - Open

I had the idea of open mouths with or without food for this one, along with what I have done. I didn't manage to get any mouths gawping wide this week which was a shame.

The idea behind this was an open road. Unfortunately it didn't go as well as I had hoped. The day I chose to shoot this was very sunny, which is the reason why it isn't empty and open as I would have liked! I may try this again soon if I get the chance to!

Thanks for looking!

TPweek4.jpg

Difficult one to do, I suspect. I do like these photographs, especially when done is busy streets during the day t make them look empty.

Did you you and nd filters?

I'm draw to the zipper effect of the barriers at the bottom and the road really draws me in.

I'd like to see a bit more punch in the grass and if were being very picky I'd clone out the post centre left.

Great take on open..

Cheers

Kris I like your style interpretation, and eventhough I'm not a fan of selective colouring - it works very well her. The angle of the stairs :thumb:

I like the way the road angles across the photo, but I think I would've moved the horizon a bit up or down

Thanks for the comments folks!! Sounds like it needs a bit of a punch up, and I agree. I'll go and have a looksy again at it! Yeah you can use filters in the day time to this effect! :) This took alot of stopping down! I think I had 3 filters and polariser on to the effect of over 13.5 stops of light!! eek! Thats alot, and shows how bright that day was!

My oh my have I been busy lately!! What with work, organising my wedding and having birthday events to go to, I have been unable to get the camera out as often as I would have liked, and so, fallen behind! Not so much thought has gone into these, but I think there is definately a close relation to the intended subject! Anyway, enough chat. My 52 continues below!!.....

Week 5 - Hard

Hard may not be very obvious here, but I feel it works on several levels:
1) Rocks and pebbles. These are pretty darn hard.
2) The soft water in actual fact is alot harder than the rocks they surround and as it beats against them, it wears them away.
3) Not so much in sea water here, but water can sometimes be described as hard because of the chalky in the water!

I tried to get an emphasis on the huge hard heavy rocks and boulders so they dominate this photo, but tried to get enough wooly water in the frame to show what wears the rocks down, and the pebbles in the foreground are what the rocks eventually become!

I am pleased with the amount of detail in the pebbles, and the textures and charactoristics of the rocks. I am not sure if this is the best way to frame or crop the scene but I feel it ensures the rocks are prominant!!

Thaaaaanks!

TPweek5.jpg

Week 6 - Clutter

This photo shows an old thrown away fridge in the middle of an abandoned council estate! You can see how small the door opening is in comparison to the fridge, and that for me emphasises how cluttered the room is.

I like the way the room is dark behind, it helps to disguise how big the room is, and what could possibly lie behind the obvious! I don't really like the way this is framed, but can't see a better way of displaying this, perhaps from a lower angle?..

Thanks for looking!

TPweek6.jpg

I really like your week 5 picture, the water has been captured well against the rocks and week 6 is a very good take on the clutter theme. I think you have framed the picture well as you would have lost the darkness behind the object if you had taken the picture lower down. Great shots :)

Last edited:
Thanks folks! Thanks for the comments on the clutter shot, I think I agree with both your points, so thank you!

Neil, thanks for pointing that out! Now sorted! I may go back and re-do hard at somepoint! :)

I think you nailed the long exposure shot, got a nice lead-in.

Clutter works too, but you nearly fell off that skip for nothing ? :eek:

yeah, I know, just didn't think it framed very well! :shrug:
I can pop the best one up though..

Last edited:
This was the best one I found, but upon review I didn't like it! :(
img%20(11).jpg

Hiya Kris,

Really like your photo for Hard, as you have explained it covers many of the definitions of hard.

For your clutter images, I think both work well. Although the second could benefit from a slight straighten.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Back