Sigma 17 - 70

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all and Merry Christmas.

I currently have a D7000 with a Sigma 17 70 f2.8 4.5
(I also have a 35mm f1.8 and 55-200)

I am thinking of spending a bit of christmas money on a lens upgrade. I like the reach rang and build quality of the sigma, but i don't feel as though it very sharp.

Is the newer version of the Sigma a worthy upgrade ( with OS and f2.8 to 4) or is there something similar i should be looking at? I like doing street/urban photography. I use my 35mm for family portraits etc.

Anyone has any recommendations?

From my own personal experience I found both Canon versions of the 17-70 (OS and non OS) disappointingly soft. I may have been unlucky and no doubt others will disagree but that is my twopennyworth.

On the other hand I found both the VC and non VC versions of the Tamron 17-50 much sharper and better built.

My avatar was taken with the earlier version of the f2.8-4 and is as sharp as you could want. There's already a thread discussing this lens further down the page so I suggest you have a look there.

However 24mm may not be wide enough on a crop body, I had the OS version (not the latest Contemporary lens) and found it very sharp on my Canon

Last edited:
Cheers guys. The Tamron has a lot of good reviews so may go for that.
I'd like the Nikon 24 to 70 but have a wife and two kids to feed...

Merry Crimbo!!

Cheers guys. The Tamron has a lot of good reviews so may go for that.
I'd like the Nikon 24 to 70 but have a wife and two kids to feed...

Merry Crimbo!!
Sometimes you have to make sacrifices!

The lens, I mean :)

Thanks David, would be very interested to hear your comments!

get the nikon 24-70 then watch the big grin on your face when you see the results and all your friends are moaning about
there shots being soft etc etc splash the cash no regrets

Ive had the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS for about 2 years now. It's not bad. My copy is a little soft in the right hand corner (plane issues i think) and for very close up near-macro it does back focus. Other than that its been the main walk around lens on my camera for a while. It's normally good and i can work around the problems more often than not. Worthwhile upgrade over my kit lens anyway.

I had a first gen 17-70 on my 30d and couldn't fault it more than sharp enough, light and versatile. Only sold it as i went full frame and the friend now using it is equally pleased.

I managed to win a f2.8-4 OS/HSM version on ebay last night so will have a look when it arrives and compare it to the older non OS/HSM F2.8-4.5 that I have (won't sell it yet until I confirm the newer version is better!)

Maybe save up for the nikkor 24-70 if i'm still not impressed!

:)

2.8 - 4.5 its the older non vr/os lens. i believe its the one you currently have?

Nope! I've ordered one of the new contemporary f2.8-4 models from Amazon Warehouse... Described as Used - 'Like New', it was £56 cheaper than lowest current UK price and I have 30 days to return it if not happy, then 1 year warranty still after that. I have the Tamron 17-50 at the moment, which is currently in the Classifieds.

I am currently debating if to buy this Sigma 17-70mm or the Sigma 18-250. They both have macro abilities but not sure which one. I am travelling at the moment and the girlfriends parents are coming to meet us in bangkok so I need to buy one so they can bring it with them haha.

Help?!

I am currently debating if to buy this Sigma 17-70mm or the Sigma 18-250. They both have macro abilities but not sure which one. I am travelling at the moment and the girlfriends parents are coming to meet us in bangkok so I need to buy one so they can bring it with them haha.

Help?!

Help?!

I currently use the newer 'Contemporary' version on my D7000, and think its a great combo. never been let down by the image quality/sharpness.

Help?!

I currently use the newer 'Contemporary' version on my D7000, and think its a great combo. never been let down by the image quality/sharpness.

Cheers Nick, good news hopefully when it arrives then!

Nope! I've ordered one of the new contemporary f2.8-4 models from Amazon Warehouse... Described as Used - 'Like New', it was £56 cheaper than lowest current UK price and I have 30 days to return it if not happy, then 1 year warranty still after that. I have the Tamron 17-50 at the moment, which is currently in the Classifieds.
That's interesting, as people seem to recommend the 17-50 as the one to go for. Mind you, I have owned the Sigma 17-70 for about 3 years now and find it excellent. I presume it was the extra length you wanted rather than constant f2.8? It was the extra reach that made me choose the Sigma. That is my general purpose lens, but I also now have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f1.8 for lower light situations.

That's interesting, as people seem to recommend the 17-50 as the one to go for. Mind you, I have owned the Sigma 17-70 for about 3 years now and find it excellent. I presume it was the extra length you wanted rather than constant f2.8? It was the extra reach that made me choose the Sigma. That is my general purpose lens, but I also now have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f1.8 for lower light situations.

I thought the same thing but the extra reach did it for me, and I have a 50mm 1.4 for portraits plus lookin at a secondhand 30 1.4 aswell-do u recommend it or find u use it more than ur 50?

I got the 50mm first but hardly use it as I found it a bit long on a crop, and I find the 30mm much more useful. Not convinced about being able to get constantly sharp results from it, but have had some really good shots and it was excellent for my sister-in-law's wedding last year. I think it's worth getting.

Just got the Sigma 17-70mm 'C' Lens yesterday, hopefully get out this weekend and see how good it is.

what are your thoughts of it, Dave ?

Back