Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART reviewed

It would have to be 1.2 and awesome for me to even consider replacing my 85L. I absolutely adore that lens.

Really the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 is so negligible I'd be looking at other performance specs to differentiate them. The Sigma ART being newer I'd expect it to be a stronger performer than the Canon 85L at similar apertures.

Should be pretty easy to improve on it if you are charging double the price and using more highly corrected glass. The current Sigma is good but not that good that it can't be beaten in performance. Ephotozone only rated it 3/5 for optical quality.

But will it be that much better that it justifies twice the price? The Canon L is £1730, the current Sigma is £645.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...on-on-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___270_795_322_795

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Yet, ephotozone rate the Canon 4/5. Interesting dont you think?

It will be better than the current Sigma and 85mm and will no doubt be sharper into the corners and with aberrations more tightly controlled to compete with the Zeiss 85 Otus. The older Sigma is good but the ART will be on another level.

It will be better than the current Sigma and 85mm and will no doubt be sharper into the corners and with aberrations more tightly controlled to compete with the Zeiss 85 Otus. The older Sigma is good but the ART will be on another level.

It'll have to be better than the first for them to be able to sell it at a higher price but I just wonder by how much and if it will be worthwhile. I can see it may matter to some that corners are a fraction sharper but I cant think why sharp extreme corners would matter if I take a portrait at F1.4, which Im sure is the aperture most would be using or they would just buy a slower lens. I guess we'll have to wait and see how good it actually is and how big it will be.

Last edited:
... Use of the USB dock would alone be an upgrade worth having, no worrying about poor QC/sample variation. :)

Last edited:
I will be very interested to see how a new 85mm will perform and if it follows the current trend it will be a huge chunk of glass!

With regards to price and only going on the current pricing, I would expect the new 85mm will be around the £900 mark which could well be the bargain of the year!

Andy

Back