Sigma Contemporary 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM C Lenses

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

the wife has asked what I want for Christmas and I thought about getting the above lens as my walkabout lens to replace a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Anybody got any opinions on the lens or alternatives around the £250 mark.

I've had it for about 3 years. An excellent upgrade in my opinion, so much so that I am looking to upgrade from my 450D to a 70D but don't feel the need to go for a different lens. I have the Sigma 30mm as well and find the 17-70 sharper.

Thanks for the reply, its really a choice between this and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, still cannot make up my mind.

Thanks for the reply, its really a choice between this and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, still cannot make up my mind.

Not used the Sigma but am very happy with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I have would say go for the Tammy...

The only thing swaying me to the Sigma is the little bit of extra reach, will have a read of reviews later.

I had the tamron 17-50 VC for a couple of years..It was Ok but I didn't think it was a great lens, not one you come to love on your camera.
It's fairly chunky and quite noisy...I sold it 6 weeks ago and bought the new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 C lens.

The Sigma is a great lens. I love it already. It's light and sharp and although not f2.8 across the range like the Tamron, it's fast.
Obviously my choice is the Sigma. It's smaller and Quieter and the build quality is superb..Hope this helps.

I'm happy with my 17-70mm. Its close focusing ability makes it very useful for shots like my avatar.

I had a 17-70 but the model before without the OS, I got some amazing macro shots with it.

I had a 17-70 but the model before without the OS, I got some amazing macro shots with it.
I too had the old version, I only replaced it when I went full frame. It was a great balance of speed, focal length and sharpness which made it a great walk about lens and as someone else said the close focus ability really does come in handy!

the sigma 17 -70 is a classic if you don't need a "fast" lens here's an old shot from one handheld with the bug on the back of my hand i think i had the lens about 2 days at the time. i also think sigma have upped their game in recent years regarding reliability etc. hth mike

rousells bush cricket
by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Wow that's a great photo dinorock, looking forward to trying this out when it arrives.

Sigma appear to still have some QC issues. MY GF bought a 17-70 C last week and we had to take it back to the shop (and then send off to sigma for calibration) because it had back focussing issues. No issues with other lenses on her camera so I'm assuming it may have slipped through or was on the extreme end of the QC scale.

No reason not to buy the lens but worth a check in the shop when you buy it to see if has any issues/works properly with your camera.

Well its been ordered through Amazon as have had to return other items to them before and they never complain, just hope I do not have to return it.

Well have got it now but not really had chance to give it a proper workout but from initial impressions I am very happy with it.

Back