Smartphone decisions

I'd love to know where you feel iOS is holding you back.

Can't access file system for example; it is a heavily dumbed down OS for the grannies or control-freak business managers. I don't think I need to continue any further

I'll just carry on using my phone.

Great plan :)

Depends on what the 6 brings to the table, I don't want anything larger, I can't see that there's going to be anything substantially faster and the screen is fantastic as it is. I don't want a fingerprint scanner, or any of the Galaxy S4/S5 features so I really can't think what they would do.

My wish-list would be: 1. Waterproofed like S5 2. Better black colour just like in Samsungs 3. 64bit and ability to act as a micro computer core (OK this is far reaching one). 4. Preferably not made by LG or HTC :p. I didn't like N4 build quality at all and call quality was bad but maybe they are better now...

i think that some ios features are hidden from developers such as gps info - my gps android app has loads of extra info like satellite info which never appears on ios gps apps - also im sure you get to see far more gsm tech info on android

My wish-list would be: 1. Waterproofed like S5 2. Better black colour just like in Samsungs 3. 64bit and ability to act as a micro computer core (OK this is far reaching one). 4. Preferably not made by LG or HTC :p. I didn't like N4 build quality at all and call quality was bad but maybe they are better now...

LG build quality in the N5 is VERY good, far better than N4 which sometimes felt too light. 64-Bit is a given, although like iOS won't be proven necessary or useful for at least 18-24 months. The microcomputer core idea is much like a more advanced version of what Motorola tried, Atrix? But I think battery-life could cause a problem unless you were thinking of the phone having an interconnect straight to the phones core, allowing for direct-access....

As for black.... I like my N5, but a completely white version would've been nice, can't fault goog for their colour choices though :)

I just received a OnePlus One in the post today, £274 delivered from Oneplus. http://oneplus.net/ only problem is availability, you need an invite to buy one however there seems to be loads around now ( I don't have any yet)

I just received a OnePlus One in the post today, £274 delivered from Oneplus. http://oneplus.net/ only problem is availability, you need an invite to buy one however there seems to be loads around now ( I don't have any yet)

just checked it doesn't support half of THREE 4g frequencies. That's a bummer. Moto 4G is apparently all good, as is N5. Maybe it is time to clear out my clubcard account :)

Just ordered the motorola. It seems I should be able to offload the Nexus for back on ebay. Crazy crazy people buying old stuff at these prices when there are such bargains.

Well it is not looking good. I can't get sim unlock code for that specific IMEI from Tesco. Works for everyone except me, as always.
Also the charging of the phone is pretty weird. It won't recharge from sleeping PC, monitor USB port, etc - only running PC or samsung charger works. That really really sucks big time.

Nokia sat nav on my Nokia lumia 820 is brilliant and it's a satellite based (not a-gps using data) gps. Free maps for every country. Battery life on the 820 is crap but that's a Nokia issue, not Windows.

Back