Soft Prints From Photobox

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm no expert in photography and am definitely no expert when it comes to printing, so am a bit confused to why a few prints i had done recently have come back a bit soft compared to that of what i see on my PC monitor.

Does anyone know how Photobox handle images to print?

The images i sent were full-sized D700 JPEGs at 300dpi (~8Mb per pic). Granted they were only printed 4x6 but they do seem a little soft, should i have cropped them down to 4"x6" @ 300dpi and then re-sharpened?

The colour and brightness is spot on but it is just the sharpness i'm worried about.

Anyone know why this could be?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Yes, tou should have cropped down to 6x4, dont you notice that when you do a straight pixel resize in photoshop the final image softens, well it will do exactly the same at photobox

For best results images need to be sharpened once they've been resized to the required print size..have a look at plug-ins such as PHOTOKIT SHARPENER, makes the process nice and simple

simon

In that case if I am supplying a DVD with all the pictures from a wedding to the Bride and Groom for printing, should I crop and re-sharpen everything to ~ 7.5” x 5” @ 300dpi? As I believe they will just have the photos printed at somewhere like Photobox.

If this is the case is there any point in having a XX mega pixel camera if all we’ll end up doing is cropping them down for printing?

Maybe I’m getting confused with mega pixels and resolution?

thanks,

Jonathan

If this is the case is there any point in having a XX mega pixel camera if all we’ll end up doing is cropping them down for printing?
If your only ever printing at that size and your subjects always fill the frame then no, no point at all :wave:

Back