Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread solely for any "SONY RX CAMERA". I know there are individual threads for the RX100 series and a high end bridge camera thread that includes the RX10 series. But all of the RX cameras innards are similar ie sensors, processing power, focus etc etc but apart from different lenses and a few other features they are pretty much the same and of equal image output quality.

Neither of the two threads mentioned are super active but combined I feel it could work very well, so let's give it a go and see what transpires.

I'll kick it off with some captures of my own from one of these fabulous cameras.

"Street Performer 12"

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph captured at Clink Street London UK of a guy with his Soprano Saxophone doing a bit of street playing.

Street Performer (12)-03565 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:sony:

Last edited:
"Springtail Bug"

Just a simple Macro/Close Up type Snapograph captured at Kent UK of a Springtail Bug on top of a trash bin.

Sony-RX, 1/250th @ F8, ISO-100, Macro Attachment, Modified Ring Flash.
UK Bug (1)-03517 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
"Oyster Shells"

Just a simple tourist close up type Snapograph captured at Kent UK of a pile of Oyster Shells that have had the Oysters removed.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the texture.

Sony-RX, 1/1000th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Oyster Shells-03516 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
"Fairfield Church (Kent)"

Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph captured at Fairfield Kent UK of the tiny St Thomas a Becket Church.

St Thomas à Becket Church in Fairfield stands alone in a field on the Marsh, surrounded by water courses and sheep. A causeway was built in 1913, and until then the church was more often than not surrounded by water during the winter and spring.
Fairfield, the village it once served has long since disappeared, but the church has survived and is now part of a parish which includes the villages of Brookland, Brenzett and Snargate. The church is dedicated to St Thomas à Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 until his murder in 1170.

Legend has it that the Archbishop was journeying across the dangerous Romney Marsh, when he fell into one of the many ditches. He prayed to St.Thomas, as he came up for the second time, for a miracle to save him from a watery death. Just in time a farmer arrived to save him, and in gratitude the Archbishop had the little church built and dedicated to St Thomas a Becket.

Sometime around AD 1200 a simple structure of timber and lath construction was built as a purely temporary measure to provide the local farmers with a place of worship. Temporary became permanent, and the 13th century building survived intact until the 18th century, when the entire timber building was encased within brick walls, and the roof covered with heavy red tiles.

In 1912 the fabric was in a very poor state and a complete rebuilding within the timber framework took place. However, the inside of the church was, fortunately, left untouched. It is Georgian, with a three decker pulpit, box pews and texts boards. The pews are still painted white with black linings.

The interior is pure Georgian theatrics; entering the church is like stepping back into the 18th century. The interior is filled with rows of box pews, painted bright white, with a triple-decker pulpit rising over them and Biblical texts staring down from the walls.

Sony RX100M6, 1/850th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Fairfield Church (Kent)-03454 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
Well after a *lot* of processing this just about made the grade :)

LTT by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Looks pretty good to me Mike, I'm afraid my knowledge of birds is not far off nothing but I do appreciate good photography of them and for me this capture pushes all the right buttons.

"Cathedral Main Gate Tower"

Just a simple tourist architectural type Snapograph captured at Canterbury Kent UK of the main gate tower to the Cathedral.
Nothing I could do about the converging verticals as my back was already against buildings opposite, and correcting them in PP would amount to loosing too much of the architecture that I wanted to keep in the snap.

Sony-RX, 1/250th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Wide Angle Attachment, Handheld.
Cathedral Main Gate Tower-03522 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
"Fishing Boat Rope"

During the past time or two I've been trying to snap the same shots both with my APSC (not Sony) units and my RX10M4 or RX100M6 Sony units all at base ISO settings and as near as possible the same focal lengths as a comparison. And I hate to admit it but in more cases than not the RX shots are marginally sharper per equivalent focal length and aperture using zoom lenses, have more contrast straight out of the camera, they are faster focussing and to me generally more appealing. I very seldom shoot low light so I would expect the APSC snaps to be a bit better with the regards to noise in those circumstances. These are not in any way meant to be scientific assessments just my own personal findings under user conditions.

Just a simple tourist close up type Snapograph captured at Kent UK of some fishing boat Rope. I've deliberately gone for a semi graphic higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the texture.

RX10M4, 1/800th @ F5, ISO-100, Handheld.
Fishing Boat Rope-03515 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, George. It's just the default Picture Style, shot in aperture priority, with no heavy noise reduction. Gives the photo a nice 'grainy' look, IMO.

It sure does Garry, as soon as I looked at it I kinda thought it resembled the "Tri-X" film that I used to use back in the day when I was snapping with 35mm film and a Nikon F.

"Discarded Boat (3)"

Just a simple Snapograph captured at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of one of the many discarded boats amongst many other things scattered about the beach that have just been discarded and left behind.
In the lower right of the snap you can see one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/450th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded Boat (3)-03459ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been doing a small weight comparison test of various bits of photo equipment that I would have normally carried about when out on a photo shoot (not for my street snapping) with one startling result.

My normal equipment would be a Fuji X-H1, and a range of lenses from the 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 100-400mm, all excellent optics. This would give me a focal length FF equivalent range from 15-600mm. Plus I would sometimes take some prime lenses as well plus spare batteries/cards etc which as you can imagine is quite a bit of weight to carry about which I just cannot manage at this moment in time.

Today I was startled to find that my "Sony RX10M4 & RX100M6" together with two spare batteries and a spare card for each weigh less than my Fuji 100-400mm lens on its own. So no prizes for guessing what equipment will be accompanying me in the future.

Sure the Fuji gear should & will give bigger files which should amount to slightly finer detailed snaps, but do I really need that and the answer is a positive no. By using just the RX10M4 alone will give me a FF equivalent range from 24-600mm with truly excellent optical results at any focal length setting, and as for the quality of files I have printed them before now at A2 size and at a proper viewing distance the finished prints are easily good enough for a high quality display. Sure I would forgo a bit at the wide angle end but that's a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to manage to take a decent bit of kit out with me. And if I really wanted to get something ultra wide I have had a wide angle converter lens made for my M4 that will give me as wide as the Fuji 10-24mm and a bit wider if I don't mind a bit of distortion that could be corrected in PP.

@G.K.Jnr. I would not worry too much about the wide angles. I took this image by doing a hand help pano with the RX100 Mk3.

Corn for Lunch by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

This image sold a few months ago on Photo4me - so using the tiny camera will not limit what you can do :)

Dave.

That's a pretty impressive pano capture Dave, and probably as good as any pano I've seen on TP.

"I must admit I've never had much success with pano's at least not good enough for me to want to show to anyone else and as most of the material that I snap is moving pano's are not really a viable option. So I had a one of Wide Angle attachment made for my RX10M4 that since then I've made an adapter for it to fit my RX100M6 giving extremely good & sharp results with either camera"

That's a pretty impressive pano capture Dave, and probably as good as any pano I've seen on TP.

"I must admit I've never had much success with pano's at least not good enough for me to want to show to anyone else and as most of the material that I snap is moving pano's are not really a viable option. So I had a one of Wide Angle attachment made for my RX10M4 that since then I've made an adapter for it to fit my RX100M6 giving extremely good & sharp results with either camera"

Thanks - I was that impressed with the shot that I went back a few days later with my "big" camera and a tripod so I could get a "better" version of the shot. I totally failed and the results did not give me the same feelings as the image I had captured with the tiny RX100 :) I gave up and scrapped the files + stuck with my RX100 hand held pano.

The image I took on my second trip had more pixels and dynamic range + was shot at the base ISO, but it just lacked other things like the light on the first day and the number of people in the building etc. Having the tiny RX100 in my pocket paid dividends in the end.

Dave.
PS - here is the colour image as well:
_DSC0382-Pano by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks - I was that impressed with the shot that I went back a few days later with my "big" camera and a tripod so I could get a "better" version of the shot. I totally failed and the results did not give me the same feelings as the image I had captured with the tiny RX100 :) I gave up and scrapped the files + stuck with my RX100 hand held pano.

The image I took on my second trip had more pixels and dynamic range + was shot at the base ISO, but it just lacked other things like the light on the first day and the number of people in the building etc. Having the tiny RX100 in my pocket paid dividends in the end.

Dave.

I know what you mean about these tiny RX100 series units, I absolutely love mine. And strange as it may seem they give me the kind of files I really like which are not dissimilar to when I used to snap using a Nikon F loaded with Tri-X or FP4 film. I looked at a capture that @garryknight posted the other day taken on his RX100 series and commented on it saying how much to me it looked like texture wise to my old Nikon F & Tri-X set up. I think his capture was more or less straight out of the camera.

Last edited:
Back