Sony RX100

I've used my mobile to trigger my RX10 which I believe uses the same playmemories app.

It works.

Slight faff setting it all up and to be honest I prefer to use a remote IR. (Which I can't with the '10' but it does have a threaded screw for manual release cable which is cool)

I've used my mobile to trigger my RX10 which I believe uses the same playmemories app.

It works.

Slight faff setting it all up and to be honest I prefer to use a remote IR. (Which I can't with the '10' but it does have a threaded screw for manual release cable which is cool)

Thanks that's helpful. I've not got mine yet but thinking about ways I might be able to use it.

DPReview have put up their review today of the RX10 and have a little bit on the play memories app if your interested. The app is criticised for being too simple with only the ability to zoom the lens and fire the shutter rather than adjust settings.

DPReview have put up their review today of the RX10 and have a little bit on the play memories app if your interested. The app is criticised for being too simple with only the ability to zoom the lens and fire the shutter rather than adjust settings.

Thanks Mark, will have a look and will try and have a look later

I've ordered the mk ii which should arrive today :)

Has anyone used the digital zoom option on their RX100 II?

The optical zoom reach is absolutely appalling, limited in the extreme, to the point where I am considering selling my RX100 II.

Advice has always been to avoid using digital zoom on a camera but I'm wondering if the technology has advanced to make this less of an issue.

I exclusively shoot RAW and don't know if this would help digitally zoomed images in post-processing.

Thanks for any advice :)

Digital zoom is "crop" in RAW. You will see no difference.

....Thanks but isn't there a setting somewhere on the RX100 II to allow the zoomed view to reach further as in digital zoom?

It's called "clear image zoom" in menu item 4.

It's called "clear image zoom" in menu item 4.

....Thanks. Found it but it's greyed out and set as 'Off' and I can't highlight it to change it whichever mode I'm in!

Big fail by Sony to only have a Manual online.

You may need to switch RAW off

I'm afraid that I value shooting everything in RAW far too much even on this RX100 II pocket camera - I mostly shoot DSLR Canon.

^ So by this I guess you mean that I just zoom a crop in post-processing the RAW image in Aperture (on a Mac) and that I can't zoom a composition in camera?

Yes, digital zoom is not magic, it is just a crop.

Yes, digital zoom is not magic, it is just a crop.
Not quite, I think it increases the size of the pixels recorded and does some fancy calculations, (which you would imagine getting better as time goes on) because you end up with a files with the same pixel dimensions. If you have a 6000x4000 (24mp) camera and use digital zoom to zoom digitally 10x, you still get a 6000x4000 file. If you crop an image you have taken you are losing pixels. Generally the more digital zoom you use, the softer and less detailed the picture may become, because you are stretching recorded pixels to cover multiple saved pixels.

Would it be better to use digital zoom, or crop and upsize if for some reason you needed 6kx4k files? :thinking: You'd have to try it out. For what most people do with their images it would probably be better to use the cropped file because you get the image as sharp as it can be.

This wiki page as a pic which is a good example.

Last edited:
Redhead is right digital zoom is a fancy up scaling thing, whether it's any better than doing it in pp - I don't know!

It would be interesting to see actually, you can crop and then resample in Photoshop it just depends whether their algorithms would be better than a camera manufacturers?
Adobe introduced bicubic interpolation for resampling in Photoshop CS back in 2003 which is the standard method in Photoshop for resampling an image, I have no idea what algorithms camera manufacturers use but I imagine its the same/similar. They will improve over time though, just avoid 'nearest neighbour' for the time being ;)

Not sure the effect of the 'nearest neighbour' is in Photoshop, good or bad. :thinking:

One would hope that the producers of software will be constantly working on different algorithms to resize, whereas the way the camera resizes (uses digital zoom) is locked with the tech at time of manufacture. (unless it gets a firmware update which just happens to address the digital zoom resizing) The RX100 is now about 2 years old, but if your editing software is older....

The extra processing power of the computer crunching the numbers would hopefully be of benefit too though. :thinking:

Those who consider using digital zoom should do some tests for themselves. I've never been tempted to use digital zoom, and turned the option of in any cameras that had it, because it was so bad on the early cameras I had.

Just wondering what favourite settings rx 100 users have in their memory recall slots, I changed a couple of the default settings on the rocker button.

Do you have a 3 favourite settings stored for quick access?

I see the m2 on amazon at £449.99 but then there's £50 cash back from Sony too so under £400...

Do we expect the price of the m2 to drop with the release of the m3? Want to pick something up for holidays without spending TOO much. Not convinced my wife will go for £400 (particularly as its first assignment will be to accompany my 12 year old daughter on a school trip to France).

Boo! :(

Oh well, I'll see how it goes. I want something compact without sacrificing all quality and this comes highly recommended by most/all.

Ooh, now that's tempting. Liking the retro style as well!

I take it it's good? Will check out some reviews a little later.

shuddup you :bat:Its not like i've posted here because i'm looking at the rx100..honest

:D:D:D ( we might have a convert ;) )

Last edited:
Be careful on the cash back. Sony very specific about where the camera is sourced. Amazon has to be amazon direct and their price is £529 at the moment. UK Digital are cheapest on price buster at the mo at £480.

I picked up a new UK posted grey import a couple of days ago for £350. Cheapest I have seen it.

Hope that helps.

Yep £350 for the mk2. Wembley Electronics had them buy it now for £375, I missed them coming off and then they put one up for auction - got it at £350.

I thought about hanging on for the mk3 but thought it may take 12 months or so to drop from the £700 starting price to anywhere near the £350
- £400 mark. £375 was my max so it's the mk2 for me for now. And as I got this one low won't lose too much on resale if I want to trade up.

Back