Sony RX100

Very nice high contrast capture.

"These are fantastic little bits of kit, but where on earth did you manage to get an "RX100M7" from? I've been trying to locate a new one for quite some time now as I want to upgrade from my M6"
Also, in addition to my previous reply... Wex do trade in so that might be helpful if you want to use your M6 to reduce the cost. Plus they had a 100 quid discount code on the website. I assume you've done research about the differences between the M6 and M7 but there's not a lot of difference between them. I was going to get the M6 thinking it would be significantly cheaper but by the time the discount code was applied it was only 100 quid more for the M7 vs the M6. The improvements that I'm aware of are new possibly slightly improved sensor, they've fixed the evf diopter and I think it now has a mic input for video, but the video stuff isn't of interest to me so don't take my word for that.

Also, in addition to my previous reply... Wex do trade in so that might be helpful if you want to use your M6 to reduce the cost. Plus they had a 100 quid discount code on the website. I assume you've done research about the differences between the M6 and M7 but there's not a lot of difference between them. I was going to get the M6 thinking it would be significantly cheaper but by the time the discount code was applied it was only 100 quid more for the M7 vs the M6. The improvements that I'm aware of are new possibly slightly improved sensor, they've fixed the evf diopter and I think it now has a mic input for video, but the video stuff isn't of interest to me so don't take my word for that.

Yes I'm well aware of all the difference and I'll not be parting with my M6, what I'm after mainly is the better tracking for my street snapping and mic input for some video. Lens wise they're both the same so no improvement in that department but the sensor in the M7 is slightly improved and also enables snapping at 100-ISO as apposed to 125-ISO minimum on my M6.

Yes I'm well aware of all the difference and I'll not be parting with my M6, what I'm after mainly is the better tracking for my street snapping and mic input for some video. Lens wise they're both the same so no improvement in that department but the sensor in the M7 is slightly improved and also enables snapping at 100-ISO as apposed to 125-ISO minimum on my M6.
Ok, you know more about it than I do then, just thought I'd mention it. Good luck.

No Longer Available.

Last edited:
I went to Venice last week, (1st trip away since lockdown :banana: ) and as well as taking pics with my Nikon D500, I also took pics with my RX100V. In previous trips I have used the compact camera for snaps, and not take too much time for getting the best image I would get with the larger camera, this time I took a little bit more time. Anyway, here's a few pics.

From the window on the plane.
SVA00373B.jpg

I keep on trying to get a definitive version/idea of this, but I like this one.
SVA00545P.jpg

As I always say to people taking pics in Venice, get away from the busy areas, and the canals can be very calm.
SVA00552S.jpg

SVA00565U.jpg

Not the greatest image, but I love the lighting.
SVA00596Y.jpg

I was trying a lot of this type, getting the reflections in the Vaporetto stops.
SVA00862CA.jpg

I tried the Panorama feature in the RX100V on a Vaporetto, having not used it for awhile, or maybe at all on this version. I initially thought I could just hold the camera as the boat moved, but the camera needs to sense movement to start working, so I had to pan the camera while the boat was also moving. Because I was on the boat I was getting up and down movement, and also water and buildings. It was interesting to see how well the buildings fared, pretty much, and the how the water did not. I know why, because of the movement in the water, but it was still a surprise. Hopefully the effect can be seen in the image. It made me smile just taking the pics. :)
SVA00712 resize.jpg

I went to Venice last week, (1st trip away since lockdown :banana: ) and as well as taking pics with my Nikon D500, I also took pics with my RX100V. In previous trips I have used the compact camera for snaps, and not take too much time for getting the best image I would get with the larger camera, this time I took a little bit more time. Anyway, here's a few pics.

From the window on the plane.
View attachment 362097

I keep on trying to get a definitive version/idea of this, but I like this one.
View attachment 362099

As I always say to people taking pics in Venice, get away from the busy areas, and the canals can be very calm.
View attachment 362101

View attachment 362115

Not the greatest image, but I love the lighting.
View attachment 362102

I was trying a lot of this type, getting the reflections in the Vaporetto stops.
View attachment 362108
Nice shots, I really want to go back to Venice.

After a bit of info as I can't find anything definitive online, has there been any changes in the lens between the Mark III and Mark V/VA lenses, and since they've moved on to the 24-200mm eq lenses on the Mark VI and VII has there been any drop in image quality/sharpness? (I appreciate more noise might creep in with low light photos with the 24-200mm lens due to the smaller aperture).

After a bit of info as I can't find anything definitive online, has there been any changes in the lens between the Mark III and Mark V/VA lenses, and since they've moved on to the 24-200mm eq lenses on the Mark VI and VII has there been any drop in image quality/sharpness? (I appreciate more noise might creep in with low light photos with the 24-200mm lens due to the smaller aperture).
I would have a look at the DPReview reviews of the Mark VI and VII. The Mark VI review particularly will compare it to the previous versions. And again, the earlier reviews of the RX100 versions always compare to the previous model(s).

I have the RX100III and the RX100V, though I haven't compared them directly to each other. Both were bought used, one here, and one from eBay.

I would have a look at the DPReview reviews of the Mark VI and VII. The Mark VI review particularly will compare it to the previous versions. And again, the earlier reviews of the RX100 versions always compare to the previous model(s).

I have the RX100III and the RX100V, though I haven't compared them directly to each other. Both were bought used, one here, and one from eBay.
Thanks, they do have good comparisons but none (that I’ve seen) that talk specifically about lens quality.

Should i be posting pics from my rx100 original version here or in rx100 United?

While I'm here is there a way I can make newer posts show at the top of the forum rather than having to scroll to the bottom or last page?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an RX100 VI at some point in the near future, however they're just crazy priced so I was wondering when Sony do their cashback if anyone knows how much they usually offer on the RX100 series please?

I finally got a subject/situation that was conducive to using the 24fps and 315 focus points of the RX100V, and wow! :oops: :$

I went down to the Pier Head in Liverpool, and this is where some skateboarders congregate to practice, and so I could get quite close. Handy when the lens is 24-70mm. ;) I've just gone through the pics, and though some were a bit slow starting the burst, they seemed to lock on, and the 24fps got me a lot of pics of the tricks. :) For some reason, I thought the high fps mode was just Jpegs, but no, all were RAW files. :)

I also tried the super slow motion, but I think that needs a bit more work with the settings, as I wasn't sure what was going on. :thinking: :LOL:

An amusing aside with regards to the skateboarder's. I work for Liverpool City Council, and there is a forum on the council's intranet for staff to post things they would like answers to about anything with regards to the council. A few weeks ago someone posted would it be possible for her friends, who are skateboarders at the Pier Head, to possibly have lockers located somewhere in the Pier Head for he friends to store some gear, which they would be willing to pay for. The first reply was, as usual, thanks for posting, and we will get back to you. The next reply said actually, it is illegal to skateboard at the Pier Head, and has been since 2002. :oops: :$ :LOL: So no locker's for the skateboarder's then. :ROFLMAO:

I finally got a subject/situation that was conducive to using the 24fps and 315 focus points of the RX100V, and wow! :oops: :$

I went down to the Pier Head in Liverpool, and this is where some skateboarders congregate to practice, and so I could get quite close. Handy when the lens is 24-70mm. ;) I've just gone through the pics, and though some were a bit slow starting the burst, they seemed to lock on, and the 24fps got me a lot of pics of the tricks. :) For some reason, I thought the high fps mode was just Jpegs, but no, all were RAW files. :)

I also tried the super slow motion, but I think that needs a bit more work with the settings, as I wasn't sure what was going on. :thinking: :LOL:

An amusing aside with regards to the skateboarder's. I work for Liverpool City Council, and there is a forum on the council's intranet for staff to post things they would like answers to about anything with regards to the council. A few weeks ago someone posted would it be possible for her friends, who are skateboarders at the Pier Head, to possibly have lockers located somewhere in the Pier Head for he friends to store some gear, which they would be willing to pay for. The first reply was, as usual, thanks for posting, and we will get back to you. The next reply said actually, it is illegal to skateboard at the Pier Head, and has been since 2002. :oops: :$ :LOL: So no locker's for the skateboarder's then. :ROFLMAO:
Look forward to seeing the pics (y)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an RX100 VI at some point in the near future, however they're just crazy priced so I was wondering when Sony do their cashback if anyone knows how much they usually offer on the RX100 series please?
I think when I bought my MK3 on prime day in November a few years back there was Sony cash back available. So not sure it is the same time ever year or different.

Some pics from a burst of Skateboarders.

These are slightly cropped, as even though I was close, and on maximum zoom, still not close enough at 70mm. This is not the full sequence, but enough to give an idea of what the RX100V can do at 24fps and using the 315 focus points to track the subject. These are a bit soft reduced in size, they are a lot sharper full size.

It was interesting with so many pics to see the point in some scenes where the board twists as the weight of the rider lands on different sides of the board, which you can of course get with lower fps, but 24fps is a lot compared to the 10fps of my Nikon D500.
Skateboarder Multi.jpg

Start, 'middlish' and end shot of this sequence.
Skateboarder Start.jpgSkateboarder Middle.jpgSkateboarder End.jpg

Some pics from a burst of Skateboarders.

These are slightly cropped, as even though I was close, and on maximum zoom, still not close enough at 70mm. This is not the full sequence, but enough to give an idea of what the RX100V can do at 24fps and using the 315 focus points to track the subject. These are a bit soft reduced in size, they are a lot sharper full size.

It was interesting with so many pics to see the point in some scenes where the board twists as the weight of the rider lands on different sides of the board, which you can of course get with lower fps, but 24fps is a lot compared to the 10fps of my Nikon D500.
View attachment 363561

Start, 'middlish' and end shot of this sequence.
View attachment 363562View attachment 363563View attachment 363564
Cool. 24fps is basically cinematic movie. It wouldn’t surprise me if in future it is just a video recording that you then choose the frame(s) you want from it and it’s available as raw.

Cool. 24fps is basically cinematic movie. It wouldn’t surprise me if in future it is just a video recording that you then choose the frame(s) you want from it and it’s available as raw.
There is obviously nothing to stop anyone doing that now, but there are some major limitations that can impose (atm). Take a frame out of a 1080p video and you have a 2Mb Jpeg (1920x1080), take a frame out of a 4k video and you have a 8.3Mb Jpeg (3840 x 2160), whereas I have 20Mp RAW files (5472x3648).

Generally the shutter speed in video is quite slow, which gives smooth natural movement in the video, maybe not a frozen moment, where the RX100V defaults to 1000th sec if the High Frame Rate mode. On more advanced cameras users have more control of the shutter speed.

There is obviously nothing to stop anyone doing that now, but there are some major limitations that can impose (atm). Take a frame out of a 1080p video and you have a 2Mb Jpeg (1920x1080), take a frame out of a 4k video and you have a 8.3Mb Jpeg (3840 x 2160), whereas I have 20Mp RAW files (5472x3648).

Generally the shutter speed in video is quite slow, which gives smooth natural movement in the video, maybe not a frozen moment, where the RX100V defaults to 1000th sec if the High Frame Rate mode. On more advanced cameras users have more control of the shutter speed.
Yep that’s the issue at present, no full size raw, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that changes in the future, likewise the shutter speed (y)

After my pics with the skateboarders last week, I am being tempted by a RX100VI for the extra range, and moving on the RX100III.

I think a version V and VI would be a good combination. Damn, I haven't had GAS for ages. :rolleyes: :LOL:
I know that feeling well :LOL: I'm still waiting for a cashback promotion or Panamoz to offer a good price on the VI, I just can't justify £840 on a compact camera.

I know that feeling well :LOL: I'm still waiting for a cashback promotion or Panamoz to offer a good price on the VI, I just can't justify £840 on a compact camera.
If I get it, it will be used. I bought the v.III and v.V used. :) Good luck getting a good price. Panamoz are usually pretty good.

Last edited:
Back