Spare Wheel........or NOT!

Be f***ed if I will change my own wheel b*****ks thats why I have AA mebmbership.

My motorbike doesn't have a spare, neither did my Peugeot RCZ, but you couldnt jack one corner of that up without breaking the rear screen apparently.
Matt

Be f***ed if I will change my own wheel b*****ks thats why I have AA mebmbership.
Yeah why not wait, 1/2hr, 1hr, 2hrs, maybe 3hrs or more, it's anyone's guess, for the AA to turn up and do something you could have done yourself in 10 minutes. (y)

Yeah why not wait, 1/2hr, 1hr, 2hrs, maybe 3hrs or more, it's anyone's guess, for the AA to turn up and do something you could have done yourself in 10 minutes. (y)

Just give up. If people don't know to change a wheel, aren't interested in learning how to carry out a pretty simple task, or prefer to get someone else to do it, you're not going to convert them...

Just give up. If people don't know to change a wheel, aren't interested in learning how to carry out a pretty simple task, or prefer to get someone else to do it, you're not going to convert them...
I guess you're right, it's a wonder the human race has survived this far, perhaps it will be part of it's demise.

People may know how to unscrew things, but would not attempt to change oil and oil filter and only two parts to remove and replace. Even topping up liquids in cars confuses people be it oil, water or windscreen washers. That is after they have opened the bonnet.

Slightly different thought I sat in on a consultant testing an older person for suspected dementia.
I could not have answered some of the questions as they were on topics which had no interest to me. I mentioned this and the answer was they are the questions we are told to ask?

So thankfully, the bickering appears to have stopped so let's move on to another question. As tyre pressures increase in hotter weather, do any of you actually reduce your pressures? I ask as mine are currently at 34/35 Psi where 32 is recommended.

I guess you're right, it's a wonder the human race has survived this far, perhaps it will be part of it's demise.
We survived for thousands of years without tyres, so I doubt an inability to change a wheel will lead to our demise....:p

So thankfully, the bickering appears to have stopped so let's move on to another question. As tyre pressures increase in hotter weather, do any of you actually reduce your pressures? I ask as mine are currently at 34/35 Psi where 32 is recommended.

Nope, the recommended pressures are taken cold to allow for that.

Nope, the recommended pressures are taken cold to allow for that.

Agreed. We don't adjust tyre pressures in SA where temperatures can vary from around 0 - 5 C on a cold highveld morning to + 30 C in the summer.

If they need doing. However, it's unlikely that pressures will increase spontaneously due to changes in the (relatively stable) ambient range here in the UK.

If they need doing. However, it's unlikely that pressures will increase spontaneously due to changes in the (relatively stable) ambient range here in the UK.

Of course they can, 3psi increase already this year and that's in sunny Scotland!

Is 32 the lower pressure or the higher recommended pressure. I always go for the higher laden pressure, a little air always escapes when removing the gauge and the pressure invariably drops to the lower recommendation over the course of a couple of weeks anyway.

Is 32 the lower pressure or the higher recommended pressure. I always go for the higher laden pressure, a little air always escapes when removing the gauge and the pressure invariably drops to the lower recommendation over the course of a couple of weeks anyway.

It just says 32 as a recommended pressure. However, we've just got home and:

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 20.09.23.png

It just says 32 as a recommended pressure. However, we've just got home and:

View attachment 65540
There is usually a tyre pressure for just the driver and another with passengers and luggage. I always aim for the higher one or just below, regardless of whether I'm on my own or not.

You can get a fixed penalty and 3 points for under inflated tyres, bit of a pain at work as the the front is 33psi and rear 43psi,
only carry one spare

You can get a fixed penalty and 3 points for under inflated tyres, bit of a pain at work as the the front is 33psi and rear 43psi,
only carry one spare

Aye, that's really, really likely to happen, NOT!

Aye, that's really, really likely to happen, NOT!

It does, if you are unlicky enough to get caught, we are warned about it often enough, as some have got caught.

We run one of the largest fleets and defective vehicles can have an effect on the OL so they are strict on safety and
vehicle checks

Last edited:
You can get a fixed penalty and 3 points for under inflated tyres,
I've never that before, not saying you are wrong of course as its crazy enough to be true!

I'm in the s*** though, my rears (4x4) are recommended ( by the plate screwed to the door), at 41 under all conditions, fronts 29.
I always thought that was an odd combination TBH.
I just replaced 2 ( odd) tyres and had them put on the rear as a pair.
An in depth conversation with the tyre fitter, and the out come was I should be running 33 all round. or 36 rear if fully loaded.
After a few weeks all seems fine and it corners faster too :D

Three points for under inflated tyres is true, but you're about as likely to get pulled for it as you are for having an air freshener dangling off the centre mirror, or having a Sat Nav centrally mounted on the windscreen.

only carry one spare
Why is it a pain? Keep the spare inflated to 43psi and if you need to put it on the front, let some air out.

I've never that before, not saying you are wrong of course as its crazy enough to be true!

I'm in the s*** though, my rears (4x4) are recommended ( by the plate screwed to the door), at 41 under all conditions, fronts 29.
I always thought that was an odd combination TBH.
I just replaced 2 ( odd) tyres and had them put on the rear as a pair.
An in depth conversation with the tyre fitter, and the out come was I should be running 33 all round. or 36 rear if fully loaded.
After a few weeks all seems fine and it corners faster too :D

Check it if you don't believe me, I've learnt a lot since I started driving for a living.
As with you, the amount of driving we do means that you could be involved in an incident where police
attendance is required, so daily checks are a necessity to makje sure things are ok.
It's highly unlikely you would get penalised and they would have to prove it, but it could happen
so best to be safe, I like having a valid driving licence :)

Check it if you don't believe me, I've learnt a lot since I started driving for a living.
As with you, the amount of driving we do means that you could be involved in an incident where police
attendance is required, so daily checks are a necessity to makje sure things are ok.
It's highly unlikely you would get penalised and they would have to prove it, but it could happen
so best to be safe, I like having a valid driving licence :)

Aye, while the Polis are on the lookout for PO van tyres, the rest of us are totally fine!

Post Office.

That would keep your Polis busy ........................... trying to find one!!!
Not seen one about for years, do they still exist ?

That would keep your Polis busy ........................... trying to find one!!!
Not seen one about for years, do they still exist ?

Well they are red and driven by posties with shorts up here:p

Same chap(ess) different hat. :D

Nope, two different business, have been for a long time now, Royal Mail delivers letter, Post Office don't, they sell stamps etc

It does, if you are unlicky enough to get caught, we are warned about it often enough, as some have got caught.

We run one of the largest fleets and defective vehicles can have an effect on the OL so they are strict on safety and
vehicle checks

Out of interest - how do the police check?

From my rather hazy understanding of tyre pressures, I'd assume that 32 psi (or whatever) would be the cold pressure. As you drive I'd expect the tyre to heat up and pressure increase. Presumably if it's an actual law then the police would have to allow the tyre to cool to ambient temperature before checking it? They would also need calibrated and certificated measuring kit. I can see this happening for HGVs (where I think they still do random roadside checks) but can't imagine them stopping a private motorist.

Bottle caps, jar lids and wheel nuts all unscrew ant-clockwise, how hard is that to understand.

I bought a second hand Think Tank bag which was a generation or two behind the current one. The wheels had worn out and the nice chaps at TT sent me some new ones. After 10 mins of trying to get an old one off I took to Twitter to ask if there was some trick I was missing - they suggested the obvious things like WD40. It took a day or so to track down the bloke who had worked on the design who explained that one of the bolts was reverse threaded. To an engineer that makes absolute sense (so as the bag rolls it tightens rather than loosens) but there were plenty of people I asked who never even thought of a reverse thread.

Out of interest - how do the police check?

From my rather hazy understanding of tyre pressures, I'd assume that 32 psi (or whatever) would be the cold pressure. As you drive I'd expect the tyre to heat up and pressure increase. Presumably if it's an actual law then the police would have to allow the tyre to cool to ambient temperature before checking it? They would also need calibrated and certificated measuring kit. I can see this happening for HGVs (where I think they still do random roadside checks) but can't imagine them stopping a private motorist.
Whilst I'm aware a lot of vans will have the tyre pressures on a sticker on the wheel arches, private motorists don't. The police would need access to a database to find the correct pressures and if the car has aftermarket wheels and tyres, it is anyone's guess what the correct pressure will be.

Whilst I'm aware a lot of vans will have the tyre pressures on a sticker on the wheel arches, private motorists don't. The police would need access to a database to find the correct pressures and if the car has aftermarket wheels and tyres, it is anyone's guess what the correct pressure will be.

Most modern cars have the TP for full and partial loads these days inside on either the A or B pillar doorframe. It's EU law or something!

Back