Spare Wheel........or NOT!

There's another problem. Most people check their tyres at a service station. How is the average person supposed to know if the machine (or the older, manual, air hose) is properly calibrated? Are you expected to double check with your own gauge, assuming that it is accurate?

I really can't see how you can prosecute anyone for this unless their tyres are obviously under pressure, to the point where it's visible or has a noticeable effect on the handling.

There's another problem. Most people check their tyres at a service station. How is the average person supposed to know if the machine (or the older, manual, air hose) is properly calibrated? Are you expected to double check with your own gauge, assuming that it is accurate?

Nope. You're expected to comply with the law - even if it's practically impossible to do so :D

I have some vague memory that if a garage charge for air then it has to be "accurate" (presumably within a tolerance). If it's free then it doesn't. But that might be either out of date or completely made up.

I really can't see how you can prosecute anyone for this unless their tyres are obviously under pressure, to the point where it's visible or has a noticeable effect on the handling.

Problem there is with low profile tyres they have heavy load walls which can give the impression of properly inflated tyres. The front tyres on my old car had 225/40/18 tyres and due to a slow puncture got down to 19psi from the 34 psi it should have been, yet the inflation of the tyre looked no different to the other tyre and there was no real difference in the handling, only tell tale sign was the outside and inside tread wore down pretty damn quick.

Whilst I'm aware a lot of vans will have the tyre pressures on a sticker on the wheel arches, private motorists don't. The police would need access to a database to find the correct pressures and if the car has aftermarket wheels and tyres, it is anyone's guess what the correct pressure will be.

Most cars have the pressures marked on a sticker in one of the door openings.

Nope. You're expected to comply with the law - even if it's practically impossible to do so :D

I have some vague memory that if a garage charge for air then it has to be "accurate" (presumably within a tolerance). If it's free then it doesn't. But that might be either out of date or completely made up.

Something to do with the SOGA (or its replacement if there's been one) IIRC. That's why the tyre machines are usually free. We keep a pressure gauge in each car to check them after inflation.

Most cars have the pressures marked on a sticker in one of the door openings.
Which, as I already mentioned, could be of no use if the car is fitted with after market wheels and tyres.

Out of interest - how do the police check?

From my rather hazy understanding of tyre pressures, I'd assume that 32 psi (or whatever) would be the cold pressure. As you drive I'd expect the tyre to heat up and pressure increase. Presumably if it's an actual law then the police would have to allow the tyre to cool to ambient temperature before checking it? They would also need calibrated and certificated measuring kit. I can see this happening for HGVs (where I think they still do random roadside checks) but can't imagine them stopping a private motorist.

Don't know how they check, if you want to know best thing to do is ask them :thinking:

Surely heat expands so a warm tyre would increase psi, therefore if a warm tyre was under inflated then a cold one would be even more so.

I surely can't be the only person that can look at a tyre and have a rough idea of whether it is under inflated ?

For the record in my job we are expected to keep the vans maintained to a certain level that keeps them road legal, and we are
subject to random spot checks by both office management and fleet manager, hopefully if checks are kept up to date there wouldn't be
any problems but TBH as in every walk of life there are those that don't.

No matter what the likelihood of these things being checked is, I would prefer to keep myself legal and that is also in
my private car, which doesn't have anything hanging from the rear view mirror or stuck to the dash, satnav is vent mounted
and I hate things swinging about in the car :banghead:

Nope, two different business, have been for a long time now, Royal Mail delivers letter, Post Office don't, they sell stamps etc

Neither of them do it well :LOL:

I'm pretty sure I've saved a fortune in fuel costs for not having to carry a spare in the boot for the 72,000 miles that my car has travelled without tyre issues.

Certainly more than it cost me to replace a never used spare in my old car that failed its MOT because the spare was so old the rubber had started to crack and perish.

I'm pretty sure I've saved a fortune in fuel costs for not having to carry a spare in the boot for the 72,000 miles that my car has travelled without tyre issues.

Certainly more than it cost me to replace a never used spare in my old car that failed its MOT because the spare was so old the rubber had started to crack and perish.

How old?
The spare doesn't factor in an MOT unless it's fixed to a corner upon test.

it was he original spare on a '99 Peugeot about ~7 years ago. I guess it must have been an advisory. Either way I was wasting fuel driving an unusable spare around.

it was he original spare on a '99 Peugeot about ~7 years ago. I guess it must have been an advisory. Either way I was wasting fuel driving an unusable spare around.

Unless it was on a corner it wouldn't have even been an advisory.
It doesn't factor in the test.

Unless it was on a corner it wouldn't have even been an advisory.
It doesn't factor in the test.

Indeed

Spare tyre
You don't have to carry a spare and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. The spare is not tested in the MOT but the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/tyres.html

So thankfully, the bickering appears to have stopped so let's move on to another question. As tyre pressures increase in hotter weather, do any of you actually reduce your pressures? I ask as mine are currently at 34/35 Psi where 32 is recommended.

i just pump them up do they bulge in the middle.

Something to do with the SOGA (or its replacement if there's been one) IIRC. That's why the tyre machines are usually free. We keep a pressure gauge in each car to check them after inflation.

Usually? There are only a couple of service stations within 10 miles of here, the rest are all + 20 miles, but none of them are free. They don't give you much time before they cut off and want to be fed again either...

Usually? There are only a couple of service stations within 10 miles of here, the rest are all + 20 miles, but none of them are free. They don't give you much time before they cut off and want to be fed again either...

Not seen a pay one down here but there are lots of service stations/filling stations around so plenty of competition. Not necessarily accurate gauges though (which the pay ones near you should be.)

Usually? There are only a couple of service stations within 10 miles of here, the rest are all + 20 miles, but none of them are free
The only free ones I pass are in Sainsbury's garages, all the local ones want 50p

The only free ones I pass are in Sainsbury's garages, all the local ones want 50p

I checked and the nearest Sainsbury's service stations are about 60 - 90 miles away. I think it's going to be cheaper paying the 50p :D

I checked and the nearest Sainsbury's service stations are about 60 - 90 miles away. I think it's going to be cheaper paying the 50p :D
Well you may also save a couple of pence on fuel while you are there, does that help? :D

Problem there is with low profile tyres they have heavy load walls which can give the impression of properly inflated tyres. The front tyres on my old car had 225/40/18 tyres and due to a slow puncture got down to 19psi from the 34 psi it should have been, yet the inflation of the tyre looked no different to the other tyre and there was no real difference in the handling, only tell tale sign was the outside and inside tread wore down pretty damn quick.

Funny you should say that...... Apparently I've got "typical" Ford alloys which corrode a little on the inner rim meaning that I usually have to have the tyres removed, the inner rims cleaned and the tyres refitted at least once during the tyres life.

Both my rears have had punctures repaired but as I check my pressures every week or so I noticed they were both dropping 2-4psi every couple of weeks.

Checked the pressures again on Sunday and my rear n/s was down to 11psi (normally run at 35psi) but the tyre only looked a little deflated at worst.

Seeing as both tyres have had repairs and have started to perish/crack around the shoulders I'm just going to replace them both in the next couple of days.

Checked the pressures again on Sunday and my rear n/s was down to 11psi (normally run at 35psi) but the tyre only looked a little deflated at worst.

Seeing as both tyres have had repairs and have started to perish/crack around the shoulders I'm just going to replace them both in the next couple of days.

Even if the tyres weren't perished or cracked on the outside, at that low a pressure the inside will be. You will get a lot of grains of rubber coming off the walls inside the tyre as it starts to break up and needs to be replaced. Having always owned Ford cars and a fair few with alloys, I've never come across typical Ford alloys, it's more likely to be a case of the tyre fitter not cleaning the inner wheel rim in the first place making for a bad seal and moisture getting in and eventually causing corrosion and air to get out.

Even if the tyres weren't perished or cracked on the outside, at that low a pressure the inside will be. You will get a lot of grains of rubber coming off the walls inside the tyre as it starts to break up and needs to be replaced. Having always owned Ford cars and a fair few with alloys, I've never come across typical Ford alloys, it's more likely to be a case of the tyre fitter not cleaning the inner wheel rim in the first place making for a bad seal and moisture getting in and eventually causing corrosion and air to get out.

You must have been lucky then... I've had 2 different tyre places tell the same, although it could also be down to location as well (proximity to salty water/sea air) or the fact that they had a cheap refurb.

I've seen the tyre fitters spend ages cleaning the rims before fitting too.

You must have been lucky then... I've had 2 different tyre places tell the same, although it could also be down to location as well (proximity to salty water/sea air) or the fact that they had a cheap refurb.

I've seen the tyre fitters spend ages cleaning the rims before fitting too.

Salty water / sea air will do it. It probably wouldn't matter what car manufacturer it is, salty water / sea air is indifferent and will attack where ever it can.

The average person could not change a tyre

However the average person could change a wheel

:rolleyes:

Ford cut a lot of corners where you can't see things, especially in 08 - 10 when they were in dire financial straights. As a result they typically only coated the visible face of alloy wheels which left the natural moisture in the air inflating the tyre free to corrode the wheel internally.

Salty water / sea air will do it. It probably wouldn't matter what car manufacturer it is, salty water / sea air is indifferent and will attack where ever it can.

The inside of the rims were badly corroded but they gave them a really good clean with a rotary wire brush.

Ironically, I had my car serviced the following day and my mate noticed something stuck in one of the tyres I had fitted in Feb, about 1.5in (ish) from the shoulder. Thankfully it was a very small piece of metal and had only gone into the tread a small way.

This was after it was discovered I need to replace an engine mount..... not the one that's £17.08.... the one that's around £130 :(

Back