Sports you just don't "get".

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
One that's popular out here. BASKETBALL.

I just can't see the appeal. Let me explain, to me a basketball game is:

Team A has the ball, they work it up the court and score.
Team B is given the ball, they work it up the court and score.
Team A is given the ball, they work it up the court and score.
and on.

We finish with a final score of 98-96 or something similar :wacky::wacky::wacky:

I just don't get it!

Any you can think of?

Football, can't see the point of it and it bores the living daylights out of me.

Totally agree with basketball, may as well just watch the last 5 minutes.

F1, just watch the first and last two laps,job done.

Curling,WTF is that about?

All of them.

Ricardodaforce said:
One that's popular out here. BASKETBALL.

I just can't see the appeal. Let me explain, to me a basketball game is:

Team A has the ball, they work it up the court and score.
and on.

We finish with a final score of 98-96 or something similar :wacky::wacky::wacky:

I just don't get it!

Any you can think of?

You could say the same principle is applied for football too though :).

Clarke

You could say the same principle is applied for football too though :).

Clarke

Not really. The difference is, in basketball nearly every attack results in points, hence the high scores. In football that isn't the case.

Yv said:
Golf - who was it that said Golf is a good walked ruined? :LOL:

Fishing.... how on earth can sitting around on a riverbank it be a sport? :shrug:

Mark Twain I think. :)

As for the second one, I think that Pat may be along to have a couple of words shortly! :D

Beach Volleyball................I just don't see the attraction :D

You are watching from the part of the court lol

Any of the Red Bullocks "sports", which seem to be more about hype and spectacle than actual competition.

Golf, Cricket, Snooker, Darts, Golf, Cricket, Snooker, Darts, G.....................................
On the subject of sport. Any one see the womens tennis (French open) on Eurosport last night (I was waiting for WTCC). What the hell was with the stupid (strange) noises the two women were making everytime they hit the ball. How anyone watching wasn't wetting themselves with laughter was beyond me. The noise was so odd it actually took me a while, trying to work out where the noise was coming from.

Football. Full stop.

Even at the age of 45, I still cannot get the concept of supporting a football team that bears absolutely no connections to your life (eg: I know of a Man City supporter here at Kent but he - and his family - all have lived in Kent for generations) and then spend 90 minutes getting worked up watching twenty-two overpaid boys kicking a round thing back and forth over an area of grass (a space that could be put to better use).

Football, "American" football (you hardly use your flipping foot), rugby, fishing, hockey, shinty, and other similar competitive contact sports. Oh and cricket.

I do quite like watching snooker and darts.

...Fishing.... how on earth can sitting around on a riverbank it be a sport? :shrug:

....As for the second one, I think that Pat may be along to have a couple of words shortly! :D

How predictable am I :LOL:

In its competitive form, angling is a sport, although because in its usual form of person goes fishing, it's not one competitor against another - it's participant against quarry/prey - and I can see why some folk see it as a non-sport.

I was talking to someone about this the other day and we came to the conclusion that away from its competitive side, as in the states it has to have it's 'hobby' tag re-affirmed to bring new people into it. Over there it's seen as a sport that the whole family can be involved in and one that can do great things as a community tool. But they have freedom to so much more fishing than we do here in the UK, mainly due to licensing, access and land ownership. Most freshwater fishing involves some kind of access to private land. Sea fishing is a different kettle of fish - anyone can do it - but it's not as it was 20 years when we had bigger stocks.

One competitive off-shoot of angling is tournament casting; basically it's people casting different weight classes of leads on specific classes of equipment and who casts furthest win. Think Javelin with a fishing rod almost. In a field somewhere. The world's best are hitting in excess of 260-metres with a 150g weight. It's got its own sub-culture and is a bit of a cult part of angling.

Anyway, I can't see the point in Cricket, distance running and rugby union is something I find mostly unwatchable

Football, Golf, just don't get all the hype

Golf, Cricket, Snooker, Darts, Golf, Cricket, Snooker, Darts, G.....................................
On the subject of sport. Any one see the womens tennis (French open) on Eurosport last night (I was waiting for WTCC). What the hell was with the stupid (strange) noises the two women were making everytime they hit the ball. How anyone watching wasn't wetting themselves with laughter was beyond me. The noise was so odd it actually took me a while, trying to work out where the noise was coming from.

Not what I saw last night but a previous tournament, same two women. Watch from around 30 secs onwards. Surely it's a wind up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOQfAUWxpw

Horse racing. Given that it's just a vehicle for the betting industry, why all the fuss?

Anyway, I can't see the point in Cricket, distance running and rugby union is something I find mostly unwatchable

Now cricket I can do, but its a recent thing, spent 36 yrs of my life wondering 'WHY?' - now I understand it more, I love it.... horses for course.

My late pa-in-law was an athletics man, and whilst I enjoy most athletics, long distance running.... I can see its a 'sport' but not one I can understand anyone ever actually wanting to do or watch :LOL:

Now cricket I can do, but its a recent thing, spent 36 yrs of my life wondering 'WHY?' - now I understand it more, I love it.... horses for course.

My late pa-in-law was an athletics man, and whilst I enjoy most athletics, long distance running.... I can see its a 'sport' but not one I can understand anyone ever actually wanting to do or watch :LOL:

I can understand the taking part in long distance running, purely for the sense of achievement. I can appreciate someones fitness and determination to compete in it But why anyone would want to watch it, no, that is beyond me.
I love motorsport, but find Formula Renault extremely boring, it was a support race on the BTCC race meetings. We called it Formula Snooze, an ideal time to nod off for a while. It's not part of the BTCC this year as it was scrapped due to lack of entries. Perhaps the drivers finally got bored of it too.(y)

Motorsport. I get that it takes a lot of skill and balls to drive that fast and I'm not knocking the drivers but I just don't understand how it's entertaining to watch a car/bike go in circles. *yawn*

Golf, cricket, snooker are all slow sports that I couldn't watch with my undivided attention but actually quite like having on in the background whilst other things are occupying me.

Bulfighting.

If you want to do it, go head to head with one, not one that has been worn down by banderilleros.

Lynton said:
Bulfighting.

If you want to do it, go head to head with one, not one that has been worn down by banderilleros.

Haha you're getting predictable. Have a look at the websites of the main Spanish newspapers, el país and el mundo. See if you can see anything about bullfighting in the sports sections.

It's not a sport, the government listed it as "an artistic discipline and cultural product". You're fact checking is severely lacking sunshine!

Ps. I won't be reading your pm and don't send me any more.

Back