Sports you just don't "get".

I've checked nothing ....... although I am familiar with El Pais, El Mundo and others........

i don't care if you have not read my pm, and I'll send you another if i feel like it.

AS for bullfighting, it is not a sport...... in sport each team has a chance........

AS for bullfighting, it is not a sport...... in sport each team has a chance........

Agreed. Bullfighting is a barbaric and cruel show that depends on labels of 'culture' and 'tradition' to try and excuse it.

A sport it certainly isn't!

Now although I do shoot, Skeet clay shooting seems rather pointless to me - No variables in the way the clays are fired at all, just re running the same old thing.

That and football, cricket, golf, F1 bores me... I could go on.

I don't really get any sport popular in America. They all seem either pointless, fatuous, or just plain boring.

I've checked nothing ....... although I am familiar with El Pais, El Mundo and others........

i don't care if you have not read my pm, and I'll send you another if i feel like it.

You ARE a strange one. I create a thread about SPORTS and you decide to introduce to the topic a non-sporting event. I have never claimed it's a sport, the Spanish don't say it's a sport, YOU SAY IT'S NOT A SPORT. So, why bring it into this topic? Maybe to try to create an argument? Trolling? I think so.

Furthermore your arguments are absolutely rubbish!

Firstly, in your (correct) assertion that bullfighting isn't a sport you state. "If you want to do it, go head to head with one, not one that has been worn down by banderilleros."
Does that mean that when a torero like David Fandila dispenses with his banderilleros and does the does the job himself (as in this example) it does become a sport in your eyes because he has indeed gone "head to head with one?

El Fandi by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Secondly you state: "AS for bullfighting, it is not a sport...... in sport each team has a chance........ "
Here you are implying that the bull doesn't have a chance, which is 100% incorrect. The bull DOES have the opportunity of walking from the plaza at the end of the event. Research "indulto".

In attempting to derail the thread by introducing something off-topic, you succeeded - Bravo! But if you want to discuss bullfighting, create a thread if you care so much about it! I'll play with you. But if you do, I'd suggest you research it first, because obviously your knowledge is lacking.

Lastly, if you continue to PM me when you know I'm not interested in reading them, then that's harassment.

any sport the yanks play

I have a lot of time for ice hockey! Years ago I used to take my kids to watch the Slough Jets every week, we had a great time. It's certainly better live than on the TV though.

Maybe it's dying out now but there seemed to be a craze/sport?, where fully grown men? rode bicycles (sometimes little bicycles?), in the woods on a Sunday!:shrug:

Maybe it's dying out now but there seemed to be a craze/sport?, where fully grown men? rode bicycles (sometimes little bicycles?), in the woods on a Sunday!:shrug:

Mountain biking? It's an olympic sport now!

My Kal said:

Now that is one sport I do love, north shore mountain biking, that should be an Olympic event.

when it comes to watching sports, i don't get any of them. i can't imagine why anybody in their right mind would want to see somebody play golf for hours or even more absurdly, listen to the commentary on the radio. that seems bonkers. i find football interminably boring.

but playing sport. i get it. i get why somebody might want a round of golf on a summers afternoon. i get why you may want to burn off some energy and let your testosterone rip playing football or rugby. even fishing, a few hours on your own in the quiet? i get it. a game of darts and a few pints down the local with your mates? great fun.

but watching it on the telly? getting all emotional because "your team" loses? that i don't understand, i really don't.

a few of my friends watch their football, they've even managed to drag me down the pub to watch it. but seeing all those people (but blokes mostly) dressed in england shirts, screaming at the top of their voices, sorry, but it seems pointless. and whether "your team" or "your country" win or lose seems an irrelevance since there are no benefits to you personally.

oh dear, just because you don't claim it a sport............. it is still considered a sport...

The world does not revolve around Dick in Alicante............

Lynton said:
oh dear, just because you don't claim it a sport............. it is still considered a sport...

Very constructive.

Lynton said:

...I think I saw a movie called that once.

Keebsuk said:
Jim, I think it was called "Dick DOES Alicante"!

Andy

That's the one!

specialman said:
How predictable am I :LOL:

In its competitive form, angling is a sport, although because in its usual form of person goes fishing, it's not one competitor against another - it's participant against quarry/prey - and I can see why some folk see it as a non-sport.

It's not just the individual against the fish though, you are competing against all the other anglers to catch the biggest weight of fish in 5 hours.
In a team event, you are trying to win your section (1 angler from each team), as the team result is given to the team with either the lowest or highest points (depending on whether 1st in section is 1 point or say 20 points if 20 in section).
It may not seem physically demanding, but if fishing a venue stocked with carp, after 5 hours you can be knackered, on the other side, imagine 5 hours of total concentration, I used to be asleep the moment we got back in the car.

Reidy36 said:
It's not just the individual against the fish though, you are competing against all the other anglers to catch the biggest weight of fish in 5 hours.
In a team event, you are trying to win your section (1 angler from each team), as the team result is given to the team with either the lowest or highest points (depending on whether 1st in section is 1 point or say 20 points if 20 in section).
It may not seem physically demanding, but if fishing a venue stocked with carp, after 5 hours you can be knackered, on the other side, imagine 5 hours of total concentration, I used to be asleep the moment we got back in the car.

Try retracing Pat's post. Believe me, he is well aware what competitive angling is! :)

You know that resorting to that kind of personal abuse means you've negated any credibilty your argument had :LOL::LOL:

You maintain it's considered a sport (though not by you, nor me). Referring to it as a sport is incorrect. By the Spanish?

government recognised the spectacle as "an artistic discipline and cultural product"

Spain's controversial bullfights granted special cultural status

Look at the nav bar to the right of elpais.es Where does it appear? Under sport or culture?

Look at the nav bar at the top of elmundo.es Does it appear in the sports section?

Look at the nav bar at the top of larazon.es Does it appear in the sports section?

Look at the nav bar at the top of abc.es Does it appear in the sports section?

What about on TV? If the Spanish consider it a sport it would be shown on the sports channels right? Nope. Nationally it's shown on its own channel (Canal+ Toros), Canal+1 (very similar to America's HBO) and TVE1 (the state national broadcaster's main channel (I guess BBC1 would be the equivalent). It's also shown on regional TV channels like CanalSur. But it's NOT shown on Teledeporte, Sportmanía, Canal+ Deporte, Eurosport or Canal+Deporte 2. It's not shown on any sports channel.

What about other nations?

France grants bullfighting cultural heritage status

The ironic thing is, on this we both agree. It is not a sport. Which begs the question, why did bring it into the thread when it has NOTHING to do with what the thread is about? If that isn't obvious trolling I don't know what is.

Earlier in the thread you made a couple of really crass comments about bullfighting that I responded too. In my responses I showed how your postures had little or no merit. I gave you specific examples that showed you know little about the subject. Your response? Resorting to calling me Dick. Bravo sir! A champion job at fortifying your point of view.

Stop trolling, stop calling names, stop sending me abusive PMs and if you want to debate about it, don't hijack an unrelated thread - create your own one we can all participate in.

Last edited:

Unless you a girl going on her first 18-30 holiday!!

Stop trolling, stop calling names, stop sending me abusive PMs and if you want to debate about it, don't hijack an unrelated thread - create your own one we can all participate in.

1. I am not trollling.

2. I did not send you an abusive PM. If you feel it is abusive RTM, and they can resolve it. I sent you one PM asking what your issue with me is. That is all.

3. I have not called you names, just abbreviated the anglo saxon version of yours.

4. I have not hijacked any thread. Despite Spain claiming it to be a cultural thing, and so did Ernest Hemingway, a lot of people see it as a sport, a blood sport, a one sided bloodsport.

Well in fairness, if it was ONLY sitting around on a riverbank, I could probably make World Champion :LOL:

Me too Yvonne and by lakes, ponds reservoirs :LOL:
Peaceful isn't so I suppose I can see some fo the appeal to fishing

I totally see the point of fishing if you can take it home and BBQ it.... I don't see the point of drowning worms.

then again, I like to hit little white balls into holes in fields.

Back