SSD

In other news. Isn't it easy to forget how many different programs you have installed... :(

I usually make a not of all the programs i have before installing a new drive but yes, it is very easy to forget some!

Programs get accessed frequently during use (i.e. LR/PS)... image files only get accessed on read/write and the data goes into RAM/Swap during use. So programs and frequently accessed files (i.e. lr.cat) on SSD, image files and infrequently accessed (i.e. LR backups) on slower drive. Swap file on SSD seems to work best for me even though it *technically* should perform better on a drive not running the programs.

Last edited:
If there's room on the SSD then putting the images being worked on there can only make things run faster. Once edited the images can be moved to a spiny drive.

Having the swap file on a separate drive made a small difference when the drives were spiny things with slow access times. But the access times of SSDs are so short that the swap file can happily reside on the same drive as he program.

Get NAS.. Network Attached Storage. its safe. Recoverable. and keeps your laptop/PC free from all your crap you keep. you can make your files accessible from anywhere and makes housekeeping
easier on the system drive.

Back