Starting to do portraits, missing anything?

Edit My Images
Yes
Right, just branching in to this area and intend to practice on family and friends to iron out the bits and bobs before I take it further to customers etc.

So far, I need some extra bit to be able to do it, but my total list in my head of everything I have and need is.....

x2 flash, one slave one wireless. TICK
portable back drop set up . CROSS
lighting umbrella/soft boxes and diffusers. CROSS

Lens wise I only have the canon 60mm 2.8, which I dont think will work too well, find the focal range a bit long.

So, I was thinking of the Canon 35mm 2.0, as is cropped sensor I still find the 50mm a bit long.

do I sound on the right track to get started or am I missing anything?

Thanks

If this is going to be a portable setup i would suggest using a zoom rather than a prime. You may find yourself restriced for space. The flexibility of a zoom will help.

If this is going to be a portable setup i would suggest using a zoom rather than a prime. You may find yourself restriced for space. The flexibility of a zoom will help.

Yea its more likely to be portable.

I have 10-22mm, 18-55 (stock lens) 60mm, 70-300mm

space restriction was why I was looking towards the 35mm.

is the 18-55mm good enough for portraits? I was after some experiments with shallow dof at the same time.

The 10-22 may be a bit wide and you risk distortion. The 18-55 really wont be up to producing pro quality shots. I use the 24-105 for all my studio work.

The 10-22 may be a bit wide and you risk distortion. The 18-55 really wont be up to producing pro quality shots. I use the 24-105 for all my studio work.

I cant really afford that price for the lens at the moment unfortunately.

Maybe I am best of doing all my test on my 18-55mm set to 35, that way I know how suitable that 35mm lens would be.

Or, get people to come round where I know I can set thinks up and the lens will work.

hmmm

I cant really afford that price for the lens at the moment unfortunately.

Maybe I am best of doing all my test on my 18-55mm set to 35, that way I know how suitable that 35mm lens would be.

Or, get people to come round where I know I can set thinks up and the lens will work.

hmmm

The other thing you may want to do is get yourself (setup)into the worst possible scenario/environment.... if you can work in that... then it'll work anywhere.... and you'll establish if a particular lens will be suitable..

:D

not a bad idea....I really wanting to get into this after seeing some great shots on here.

havent got 1ks to spare so trying to get a happy medium or an early x mass present from the family! lol

I have the Canon 50mm 1.8 (on a crop sensor) and it's one of the lenses I use most actually. So I'd say, wait with investing in a standard zoom until you can justify the price of a really good one, which will allow large aperture and try to work with the 60mm as much as possible. I would say you'd get a long way with that one.

Ellekes, with my 60mm in my house and parents etc there was no room that I could get enough if the person in with the 60mm, or 50mm

Mams house is fairly big to, and I plan on traveling to peoples houses.

Luckily my birthday is coming up but I still wish the 50mm was an opion as it's nice n cheap! :)

1 softbox directly above pointing down at the subject
1 reflector
1 85L
1 fresnel
1 5D2

3.jpg

The fresnel is ideal, a gridded spot close second.
I can't stress the importance of a nice background to set off the foreground.

Last edited:
Cheers Chris, the backgrounds was one of the main things I was looking for.

Going to give google a look at work tonight

Aim for an aperture of F/10 too and try not to let the softbox light spill onto the background. A gridded box if ideal :)

Have fun! Make sure whatever you do, show an iterest and engage with the person you're taking pictures of. Be ready to press that shutter button to capture reactions.

You'll find a couple of reflectors a boon. Even some white card or artboard would be better than nothing.

for a lens tamron 17-50, canon 17-55IS both very good lenses and the right focal length on crop

as for the lighting kit its up to you really I've never seen a studio done right in a living room, as you will have reflection issues from the walls, limited room (for light placement)

single person 3/4 work is easy enough but a big group would be tricky

Most of my shots are done with a 50mm 1.4 lens, although I will sometimes use my Tamron 28-75 2.8, an lens I can recommend and available for £200-£250 second hand.

I take pics in peoples homes and have to say, I would struggle to find space for lighting in many homes.

thanks for the last comments......I may look into setting something up that I know will work in my own house and ask them to come here. Then I know its going to work with the lighting etc.

looking in to the lenses now thanks for any recommendations.

Back