Starting Uni - £3k budget for kit!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am starting University in September on a business degree. It will be for 3 years so will give meplenty of time to learn photography and then hopefully put my business skills and match that with my photography skills to do my own business.

I will be doing normal portraiture and wedding photography. So will want good high iso performance.

I want to buy a camera setup and have a budget of approx £2000 (could go as high as £2.5k but that would be for something special)

Would you recommend Crop or Full Frame?
I will need to get out of that the following :

• Camera Body
  • Walkabout Lens (wide to medium telephoto)
  • 50mm Prime lens
  • Filters

I already have a good tripod and a good bag.

What would you recommend? Im not a total newbie to photography and have had a few slrs in the past (sony a200 and nikon d60) but found them not suitable for me due to handling issues.

Must admit i held a Nikon D300 and a Canon 40d and found them lovely.

Any ideas?

Amy x

Wish I had £2k to spend :p

I am a Nikon fan, a D700 would be lovely but would take up most of your budget, you could add the 24-120mm and a 50mm but that would take you over £2k.

A better idea would be the D300 (or D90, which I have but part of me hankers after the D300) and the Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens (or maybe the cheaper Tamron). Get a new 300 and second hand lens and you should be looking at £1600 ish, plus a 50mm at £100.

Wish I had £2k to spend :p

I am a Nikon fan, a D700 would be lovely but would take up most of your budget, you could add the 24-120mm and a 50mm but that would take you over £2k.

A better idea would be the D300 (or D90, which I have but part of me hankers after the D300) and the Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens (or maybe the cheaper Tamron). Get a new 300 and second hand lens and you should be looking at £1600 ish, plus a 50mm at £100.

I wish i did too :D

Its money i put up for a newer car , but that will have to wait for a bit now.:eek:

Why do you feel you need a 2.5K camera if you're just beginning learning photography!?:thinking::shrug:

Save the money!!....you're a student not Richard Branson!;)
[remember this when your current car breaks down!)

I dont feel i need a 2.5k camera. I said that was my budget. I dont want to buy something cheaper and end up selling and buying another body in a year or so. I would rather spend more whilst i have the money and then it will last me a long time.

£2000 to spend and just starting Uni - my advice? Buy some second hand kit (perhaps 30D or a 40D), and hang on to the bulk of your cash for now.

I know it's a good 20 years since I left Uni, but I doubt things have changed that much - if your kit is 'too nice' you're not going to drag it around with you or leave in halls for fear of it getting nicked, dropped or just plain lost, and you will almost certainly overspend on everything else, so having some spare beer tokens as a backup should at least get you though to the end of the first term!

I'd target second hand stuff with that particular budget and squeeze as much (appropriate gear out of it as possible)... maybe lay off the wedding stuff, until you've amassed more gear and at least a second back up body.

Gear...
I'm Canon and don't have a clue about the Nikon's so someone could direct you better on the Nikony stuff.
40D is a good allrounder. And can be had for relatively little money.
Sigma's 24-70mm HSM (not Macro or any other variant... just the HSM one) is a very good walk about lens, it's new so I doubt many are on the market at the moment, but if one pop's up I'd aim to get that.
Canon 17-55 f/2.8 EF-s lens for the wider angles.
Flash gun as well... 430 is lame (que onslaught of offened 430 owners), 580EX or target a secondhand 550EX

portraiture = flashes and triggers. And if you're wanting to do it professionally, you can't really rely on the ninjibongo rubbish triggers that are available. So look to skyports which are much more reliable comparatively. I use flash guns for my portrait stuff and have yet to be in a situation where they've been lacking in enough power (+ the added bonus of being portable), I think most of my portraiture gear came to about £350 ish (off the top of my head though), including two nikon flashes, stands, ninjibongo triggers, gels, and diffusers.
ps... if you're coming the university of surrey, don't be stealing my clients :p
Ads

Hi Amyliz,

If your budget is up to £2.5K and you can afford to spend this much then good on you!
The D700, as suggested, is a very good full frame, low light (high iso) camera. I have tried both the D300 (I have the D300) and D700. I would personally go for the D300 and then have a really nice budget for some nice lenses rather than spend the majority of my budget on the body alone.

Best of luck in your decision and good luck at Uni! :)

Cheers

Osmo

PS I am so glad that both of my degrees are well behind me, couldn't cope with that again!!! :D

PPS I forgot to add that I have owned a few other cameras but I would describe myself as a bit of a beginner. The D300 is massively more than my own capabilities and talent. I am the weakest link, goodbye! :)

D300 would leave you some spare for some nice lenses. I don't really know much about lenses to give advice on that.

The D300 does sound sensible. But if i spent alot on lenses over the next 3yrs and then decided i wanted to go full frame i would have spent all that money for nothing.

Is it not better to go full frame (second hand canon 5d, d700 or sony a900)?

Amy x

If you're planning to do weddings you need two camera bodies, not just one, so that's going to eat up at least £1600 (if you go for something like secondhand D300s) of your budget.

Then,as Ads says, you'll need flashguns and triggers, a decent set up with 2 flashes and a set of triggers will set you back £500+, so that leaves £400 for lenses.....

The D300 does sound sensible. But if i spent alot on lenses over the next 3yrs and then decided i wanted to go full frame i would have spent all that money for nothing.

Is it not better to go full frame (second hand canon 5d, d700 or sony a900)?

Amy x

\the only one there you'll be able to buy and kit out with glass etc, within your budget is the 5D...

not necessarily, it depends on what you ulimately intend to use the camera for. Check out the August edition of Practical Photography. They have a nice article on Full-frame vs APS-C.

After reading the article in PP I was glad that I chose the D300 and glass rather than body alone with cheap lenses. Although, saying that, the full frame option may also be good for you for low light purposes where it is better than the 300.

Like you, I wanted to only buy once rather than have to 'upgrade' further down the line. Which I may still do but for sure I will be keeping my D300 as well. Will definately not compromise by selling my D300 to buy a D700. I will either stick with my 300 or buy the 700 as well. Both are awesome for particular circumstances.

Cheers
osmo

PS My reply is inteded for Amyliz not Flash. Flash beat me to it whilst I was compiling my masterpeice! :)

I dont feel i need a 2.5k camera. I said that was my budget. I dont want to buy something cheaper and end up selling and buying another body in a year or so. I would rather spend more whilst i have the money and then it will last me a long time.

remember when you're doing this that bodies seem to have a 2 year replacement cycle at present from the makers - what ever you buy now will of been replaced when you leave Uni - if thats an issue or not is another matter

Hugh

No not really. Only if you buy crop sensor lenses (DX on Nikon and EF-S on Canon, dunno about Sony).

You can buy lenses that work on both.

You could spend a lot of money on a body and rubbish money on lenses, and you'll take crap, soft, flat images. Spend the smaller part of your money on a body and the rest on top notch lenses you'll take fantastic images (quality wise, your compositional techniques might be naff :p).

If you're going for Canon...
40d - second hand £350/£400 - brand new £550
-17-55 ef-s - amazing lens, but only for crop sensors - this would work as a walkabout
-Alternatively something like the 24-105 L lens. This is £850 new but a second hand one would be around £650/£700, plus it will work on full frame. Once again, amazing lens.
-I honestly don't recommend getting a 50mm prime on a crop sensor. It's too restrictive, and that's from experience. I'd say something like Sigma's brilliant 30mm f/1.4. You can pick them up around £180.

If my math is right that leaves you around £700/£800 if you're buying second hand, £300 if you're buying new.
That leaves you enough to get a decent flash system. Whoever said the 430ex was naff clearly doesn't really have much of a clue. It is absolutely fine and unless you can warrant spending the extra money on the 580ex, it will do you good. I believe these can be had £150 second hand - ish.
I would plump for 2x 430ex flashguns and a couple of budget light stands. A £10 light stand can be had on 7dayshop.
Also get the Elinchrom Skyport System. Fantastic value for money, and work brilliantly. You'll need the universal kit for 1 camera and 1 flashgun, and an extra receiver for 1 flashgun.

I dont feel i need a 2.5k camera. I said that was my budget.
Surely if you budget for something then you feel justified buying it?
I dont want to buy something cheaper and end up selling and buying another body in a year or so.
Do you really feel you'll out grow your camera in a year, or that it'll wear out in a year?!
I would rather spend more whilst i have the money and then it will last me a long time.
Don't be so sure just because it costs more it'll last longer.
As others have said, think about the extras you'll potentially need...

Try using the listmania section on amazon,it will give you an idea of what other people use/recommended and also an idea of prices.I'm not saying you should buy from there,but the lists are quite helpfull.

2nd hand 5D (mk.1). 24-70 F2.8L. Speedlight 430. Photoshop Elements, memory card, card reader, USB hard disk to keep a backup of your photos on.

I am going to be starting University at Southampton (would be awesome if you're going there too but its a very long shot) in September and I have just bought a second hand, gripped Canon 40D and a new Sigma 17-70mm lens which I will probably add to at some point with a 70-300mm, although probably not for a while.

I take it you will be joining the photographic society at the uni you are going to? I will be joining the one at mine and I will be able to borrow lenses from the society. It would be worth checking out beforehand what lenses you would be able to borrow as you may be able to get them for free, if you leave a cheque for the value of the lens.

go to a camera shop and hold the cameras. then pick which one feels best and most natural to use.

once you have done that, it would be easier to recomend lenses. the tamron 17-50 seems to e well liked at the mo though

I am going to be starting University at Southampton (would be awesome if you're going there too but its a very long shot) in September and I have just bought a second hand, gripped Canon 40D and a new Sigma 17-70mm lens which I will probably add to at some point with a 70-300mm, although probably not for a while.

I take it you will be joining the photographic society at the uni you are going to? I will be joining the one at mine and I will be able to borrow lenses from the society. It would be worth checking out beforehand what lenses you would be able to borrow as you may be able to get them for free, if you leave a cheque for the value of the lens.

I'll be at solent :D not doing photography, mind. Photography degree in my mind would be of no benefit to me :)

I'll be at solent :D not doing photography, mind. Photography degree in my mind would be of no benefit to me :)

Thats the way i thought. I thought in the next 3yrs i can gain experience in photography , practical experience. With knowledge in business i think its a good match.

Im torn between the Canon 50d, Nikon D300 and Olympus E3?:crying:

I'll put second hand prices, but if you prefer to buy new, then multiply most prices by about 1.5.

2* second hand, gripped D200s = about £900 posted.
4* Sandisk Extreme 3 4gb cf cards = £80.
1* Tamron 17-50 f2.8 = £250ish
1* Sigma 70-200 f2.8 = £450ish - ask for shots at f2.8 at 70 and 200mm of a brick wall to check sharpness - ah the benefit of buying 2nd hand...
2* Nikon sb600 = £320 total brand new from onestop digital
2* light stands, brolly mounts, brollies = £50ish, from 7dayshop / flash in the pan
(optional: 1* 50mm 1.8 = £75ish second hand. - or save up for the 50 or 30mm 1.4 - roughly 200 sh)
1* Decent lowepro bag (don't underestimate this) = £60ish second hand
Insurance = £~75pa for this amount of kit, including professional cover and 1m public liability insurance.

Slightly over budget, but that's a full range (17-200mm) with fast glass, 2 bodies for doing paid shooting, the flashes for on body shooting, and on the stands, with CLS, portraits, and then the 50mm prime for low light / DoF work. You could go for a more expensive 17-55 range lens, eg the nikon 17-55 (c £650 second hand), but this setup will give you good image quality, good low light performance, and a reliable setup, with the usefulness and backup of a second body.

For good experience, get involved with your student media (magazine / newspaper), and photo society or whatever is provided by the university, there's some great opportunities there!

and ask uni if they involved in any discount schemes:)

If you buy any film, rent anything or buy any nikon kit from calumet, you can get a fairly decent discount from their student discount card - pretty sure the 10% off nikon expires soon though, that and, calumet are pretty expensive for gear...

forgot to mention above, if you don't want / need two bodies, a D300 is about £800ish second hand iirc, so replace 2 D200s with that. Though wait a month as the 'D300s' is coming out soon and people may well be upgrading, making second hand D300 s cheaper.

FF is out of the question unless you buying 2nd hand. I'd go for a 50D 10 - 20mm (to make up for the lack of FF) 28 - 70 2.8 and a 70 - 200 or 70 - 300 depending on how much you have left then 50mm 1.8

2nd hand 5D (mk.1). 24-70 F2.8L. Speedlight 430. Photoshop Elements, memory card, card reader, USB hard disk to keep a backup of your photos on.

Sorry but I'm with JJ, he wants to do wedding and portrait photography, therefore he doesn't need a crop sensor camera, but a Full Frame one, why, well more useful selection of lenses that you don't have to apply a crop factor too, so use them as they were intended (a 24-70mm will be a 24-70 not a 38-106mm what ever it is), ISO performance would far out strip the 40D, so I would recommend a secondhand 5D MkI, about £700, leaving a large proportion of his loot for a decent lens or 2. Portrait 85mm, studio work 24-70mm. Check out the forum search facility and see if anyone posted lens recommendations for wedding and studio work. Have a look at the 2nd hand market for a 70-200mm f2.8 or something like that, also check out some recommendations below in the links

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wedding-Lens.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx

Peter

Got a D700 and some nice glass for sale in the FS forum at the moment ;)

I'm sure you could get set up with a D700 / 17-35 / 28-75mm within budget ;)

Also got a nice 50mm 1.4 for sale as well :)

you selling up again chilli??

damn money and all its probs. lets hope it lasts longer than that wonderful d700/d3/50d!!:LOL:

damn money and all its probs. lets hope it lasts longer than that wonderful d700/d3/50d!!:LOL:

Money isn't the problem i have, it lack of it :LOL:

Halina 110 is next on the list :)

IM.0849_zp.jpg

i hd one like that!!!

anyway, think we too far off topic now. cant see it anywhere:LOL:

E30 twin lens kit for £699? I have seen the E30 with 14-42 for £699

Is it any good btw?

what were the handling issues of your first camera's you didn't like ??

no point buying something just a tad stronger made and a few extra controls if you had major issues to start with.

what were the handling issues of your first camera's you didn't like ??

no point buying something just a tad stronger made and a few extra controls if you had major issues to start with.

I just found them very flimsy. I prefer something meaty and hard in my hands (excuse the description :nuts:)

Amy

I know exactly what you mean about the construction - I moved from contax cameras to Nikon and in comparisson the Nikon felt like it had come out of a christmas cracker - gives good results which is what counts however.

If you want something sturdy, ignore any of the Nikon Dxx models as they are all basically the same construction, and consider D200 or possibly D2x (but getting old).

no one else thinking 2.5K is alot of beer :p

on a more serious note could get yourself a 50D/40D, 50mm 1.4, 17-50 tamron and then a nice 70-200f2.8 :) zoom :). would be the way i go and have gone :p

I would go for the Nikon D300 with full frame lenses, that way if you change to a full frame body like the D700 you wont have to change lenses. I have to say the D700 and 24-70 f2.8 lens combo is worth every penny

Back