Starting Uni - £3k budget for kit!

I'd say buy full frame and buy used. The Canon 5D springs to mind. Don't need L glass, but it would need to be fast. So, a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 should cover most situations. Add to that a 580EX flash, a 430EX, some brollies, some stands and you've got yourself the basis for a very flexible wedding/portrait set-up. Maybe even add a couple of fast primes for low light/shallow depth of field.

Once you start doing commercial shoots then start thinking about back-up kit.

The canon 5d sounds good as if i spent £700-£800 on that i have a lot left for decent lens(es)

Would you recommend the Canon 24-105mm F4 lens as a walkabout lens? That way i could afford a decent flash whilst saving up for the 24-70 and 70-200 combo?

Amy

I've not used the 24-104L, but it also gets a lot of love from wedding togs. You may even find that you don't need the 24-70L at all.

Note that some people have raised doubts about the accuracy of the crop tests on the site I've linked to, but I've found the reviews themselves are still very useful.

choose a system and build on it

i see you have mentioned Nikon, and i loved my d40 and now have sony.

if i had the cash i would choose nikon and start again, but i think i would happy with a d90 for my use.

how much is a d300 new and used?

you don't have to apply a crop factor too, so use them as they were intended (a 24-70mm will be a 24-70 not a 38-106mm what ever it is

Hmmm... thinks back to the complaints when cropped sensor 'portrait' zooms like the 28-70 reverted to wide-normal zooms as people upgraded to FF.

:D

In my opinion, the best choice would be:

Body and Walkabout lens: Canon EOS 50D with a 17-85 IS Kit lens = £1068 from Warehouse Express.
"Nifty Fifty": The Canon one is best I think (50mm f1.8 II) = £88.99 from Warehouse Express
Filters: Depends on what you take photos of, but definitely:
-2 UV filters for both of your lenses
-Circ Polarizing filter
-2 ND grads (3 and 5 are best)

Total= About £1250

I think thats it! It comes to a cheaper value than you have, but isnt that good?? You would have a hell of a lot of good kit there.

Hope I helped

JEALOUS

Wish I had £3K to spend on new kit :)

I would go for:

Nikon D700 - £1700 or £1500
xxx 12-24 - not sure which one
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 - 2nd hand £250
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - 2nd hand £300 (guessing here)
Nikon SB600 - 2x £166
Tripod
Filters
Flash diffusers
Spare memory
Spare batteries
3rd party grip
Bag to carry all this

And I think I have just overspent........ ;)

The lenses should give you a nice mix of distances, etc.

Back