Step By Step

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
I did a job around ten days ago for a new client, they specialize in injection moulding and technical plastics. I've just finished all the product shots and the editing this monring.

It was a very difficult job for me but never the less loads of fun.
I really like working with folk who aren't used to having their photo's taken in a more 'elaborate' way.
Cracking jokes and making them smile, feel more comfortable is very enjoyable for me and I always look forward to it, even though some folk are just to hard to crack sometimes :D

Full details on the blog

1:
3658944573_869d115bc8_o.jpg

2:
3659741714_00be2f0d46_o.jpg

3:
3658938941_6852db7f2e_o.jpg

4: A kind of vacuum pump :thinking:
3659732204_5de49b11d5_o.jpg

5: Don't ask me what this is, it looks like something Doctor Who has forgotten :shrug:
3658927699_aa0b7e7c56_o.jpg

Last edited:
These are awesome Thomas. You have become a bit of a Jedi with your strobist setups.. great work mate.

The only thing I have to add is that the machine operator in the second shot maybe would have been better to be looking at what he was doing rather than at the camera, as in the first shot.. spose it depends on what you wanted from the images but the first works so well (y)

These are awesome Thomas. You have become a bit of a Jedi with your strobist setups.. great work mate.

The only thing I have to add is that the machine operator in the second shot maybe would have been better to be looking at what he was doing rather than at the camera, as in the first shot.. spose it depends on what you wanted from the images but the first works so well (y)

Thanks Dan, much appreciated mate.

Yeah, I agree the chaps expression and stance is a little forced in 2.
I do have shots of him pressing the buttons and facing the control panel but there was something about them that didn't quite work, I managed to get him to kinda smile in one shot but it's a bit too comical, anyway here they are, unedited:

_09T0582II.jpg

_09T0583II.jpg

Last edited:
love the shots tomas, agree no2 is missing something, i think it may be a bit more happening. perhaps hitting a couple of buttons or something. i get the impression all he does is press the button every 5 minutes and nothing else:shrug:

love the shots tomas, agree no2 is missing something, i think it may be a bit more happening. perhaps hitting a couple of buttons or something. i get the impression all he does is press the button every 5 minutes and nothing else:shrug:

I agree mate, the thing was the chap was a right hard worker until I pointed my camera at him, I made me chuckle and smile but i don't think he was very comfortable. I also think I had him stand the wrong way round in terms of the line in his shoulders, maybe he should of been pressing buttons with his left hand instead? This coulda made a better pose :shrug:

No.2 is my favourite too. No.1 must have been a pig with all those reflective surfaces.

No.2 is my favourite too. No.1 must have been a pig with all those reflective surfaces.

:LOL: T'was indeed!
I had my polarizer on the go in the faint hope it would kill some of the reflections (which it did kinda) but not all of them.
I nearly sacked the idea after I had taken about 40 frames but then I got that one and really liked it.

There's a little too much machine, too much black on camera right but still, I had to get at least one image of the operator doing her job.

The machine itself was also tucked into a corner, making it impossible to get a good angle on it unless shooting through side window.

A couple alternative views:
_09T0409.jpg

_09T0417.jpg

and a stab at zooming while dragging the shutter out.
_09T0494.jpg

She were making these doodads, components for security keys:

3658927449_f7f75fc0de_o.jpg

There was another security key machine but I wasn't permitted to take photo's of it :cautious:

Last edited:
These look very good as usual Tomas. Did you do any of the 'McNallyesque' layout diagrams?

Cheers Alex, I did actually but they ended up on a knapkin (true Unca Joe style) and were used to mop up the sauce spillage of my burger at the service station (Plastep was some three hours drive East of Helsinki) :LOL:

I plan to redo them and then scan them in ;)

Good work big man! I'd just finished reading your blog entry when I saw this thread. :D I like the thought and ingenuity that has gone into your product shots.

(y)

Good work big man! I'd just finished reading your blog entry when I saw this thread. :D I like the thought and ingenuity that has gone into your product shots.

(y)

Cheers Colin, very muchly appreciated mate (y)

The suspension method works very well for lightweight products, I'd like to think that maybe I'll have the budget for suspending heavier ones too one day :D
I'd also like to have a nice opaque surface to light from underneath, something with a shiny surface to reflect the product. That'd be nicely.

I did take more set up shots but I though they were a bit rushed and pants, I were knackered when I took em and it was boiling hot too!

Here's a few more of the wee sized products, those cullmann ballheads I got from Adorama last year have had so many uses, looks like they stopped selling them now though :(

_09D2541.jpg

_09D2547.jpg

Love following your work tomas (y)

your lighting is always very very good. :clap:

md(y)

Love following your work tomas (y)

your lighting is always very very good. :clap:

md(y)

Thanks very much Dave! If your following me though, make sure y'knock on the door and come in for a cuppa ;)

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that second shot, it's excellent, just like the rest (y)

In this one though...

_09T0583II.jpg

it looks as if he's saying "and this is the button they allow me to push if I'm really, really good" :LOL:

...it looks as if he's saying "and this is the button they allow me to push if I'm really, really good" :LOL:

:LOL: That's damn funny mate, my bottle of KOFF beer is all up the screen :LOL:

It begs further captions:

'I'm the only authorized personnel, who can push this red one'

Like "This one sets off the sprinklers over the top of the bosses convertible!"

Excellent attention to detail in all the other shots btw Tomas. I can imagine this is not a subject that would normally inspire you but you have done a great job.

Excellent attention to detail in all the other shots btw Tomas. I can imagine this is not a subject that would normally inspire you but you have done a great job.

Cheers for the comments Geezer (y) Mighty appreciated.
To be fair, I get excited about any kind of portraiture really, it's the product photography I find a little laborious.
This job was hard for me because of the very understandable restrictions on the day.

Back