Stewby's 52 2011 - Now with WEEK 2 photo

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I was trawling the Internet to give me some ideas for a photography project when I came across the project 52. What a fantastic idea. Need to think of an idea sharpish for this week.

My aim from undertaking the project is simply to make more use of my Sony A200 in a more creative way. I have had the camera for around eighteen months but have mainly used in auto for family snapshots, would class myself as a beginner. I will aim to use semi-auto or full manual on camera and shoot in RAW. Never used RAW before so this will give me lots of opprtunities to learn.

I will be following the rules set out in the main thread so one joker, no using my back catalogue of images etc.

Week 1 to be on here by 8pm Sunday is my own deadline. Then same deadline for each week.

Week 1 - Accomodation

Struggled with weather this week to get out, plus first week back at work for 3 months (been of with double fractured jaw). Sunday was first time sun has shone all week so managed to get this. Converted to B&W in ACR then tweaked in PE8. Not totally happy with it but considering it was squeezed in around taking the kids out today I thought it was OK. C&C very welcome.

Sony A200 with Sony 50mm F1.8 Prime lens on full manual

Photo52 Week 1 - Accomodation
by Stewby1979, on Flickr

Week 2 - New - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3323430&postcount=9

Last edited:
I like it in a macabre type of way maybe a tad more contrast but an interesting take on it

Thanks Billy, fancy meeting you on here. Just boosted contrast using curves and think you are right, it makes it look even more macabre if anything which is what I was after. Also playing around now with adding some grain to the pic which I like. Had to rush to get the pic on before the footie started though.

Last edited:
I like the fact that two of the headstones seem to... huddle together for warmth/comfort, and an excellent use of b/w:)

I'm not sure about the shadows on the third headstone though...
(then again, am new to this, so probably talking complete carp!)

I like the fact that two of the headstones seem to... huddle together for warmth/comfort, and an excellent use of b/w:)

I'm not sure about the shadows on the third headstone though...
(then again, am new to this, so probably talking complete carp!)

The shadows were a pain. I think I will revisit later in the year when lighting is better. It was really sunny here Sunday morning. The more I look at it the less happy I am with the shadows in the background as well. My original idea was to go for a high key, bleached out look like a photo from the wild west type idea but couldn't quite get it right.

Week 2 - New

I had lots of ideas for this, but mainly the relied on good weather (it has rained here all week) or items arriving that didn't (dad's new car not been delivered). In the end I decided to take some photographs of the kids new toys that they received for Christmas. I also used my new Sony 50mm F1.8 lens that was my Christmas present. Finally I used a piece of software that I had newly downloaded, Poladroid, to give the photos a Polaroid effect as I liked the idea of giving my photos for the "New" theme and old look.

I took a series of 10 photos as this was the amount of photos on an old Polaroid cartridge. On the whole I am happy with the results, although photographically the pictures aren't great as I was tight on time and had a helper (my 3 year old son). My favourite of the ten is below and a link to the set on Flickr is underneath that.

Scalextric Poladroid by Stewby1979, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewscragg/sets/72157625710954367/

Last edited:
Your week 1 image is great, I like it a lot, Love the use of black and white as well. Your week 2 image, I also like. The use of the extra software has worked well indeed, a little tight next to the blue car, but thats nothing major at all and doesnt detract from the image. Think I'm going to take a look at the software you used, seems quite cool.

Like the dof in the cars and the poloroid effect, tried it myself and couldn't get on with it though. It gives a sense of movement which is good,as said you've clipped the edge if the blue car which is a shame perhaps a bit more space to left to allow the cars "somewhere to go" may help but a good take on the theme well done

Your week 1 image is great, I like it a lot, Love the use of black and white as well. Your week 2 image, I also like. The use of the extra software has worked well indeed, a little tight next to the blue car, but thats nothing major at all and doesnt detract from the image. Think I'm going to take a look at the software you used, seems quite cool.

I had left a bit of space to the right of the blue car, not much, but it seems the Poladroid software perhaps crops a tiny bit from around the image. The square crop really forces you to rethink composition, especially when taking the pics in 3:2 initially. I really wanted the track to run out of frame bottom left but just didnt have anymore space to back up or a wider lens to hand. I would definitely recommend trying the software for a bit of fun, although I had to add the text back in Elements after the polaroids had been "developed".

Back