Strange Goings on in Lightroom 5.

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Couple of things really

If I right click on a photo in LR and move the mouse over 'Edit in', I usually get the option to choose either Photoshop CC or CS3 but, as seen in the screenshot below, Photoshop CC doesn't appear to be available. This hasn't been the case until now and I've been using CC since December. Photoshop CC itself is working fine.

View attachment 9782

Also, if I edit a photo in HDR Efex from within LR, I click on save but the changes don't appear in the image back in LR. Again, it works fine in Photoshop.

Only thing I can think of is that I updated LR to 5.4 a couple of days ago. Coincidence or has anyone else update LR and had similar i0ssues?

Marc
I've just put LR5.4 on my system and dont seem to have a problem,could it be the ''greyed out'' option above the CS3(edit in photoshop)
that isn't being recognised,maybe a preference setting?
Sorry cant really help a lot..

need a plugin for CC? we had that issue when we updated to the Creative cloud.

Updated to the cloud in December,; only just having this issue now.

Marc
I've just put LR5.4 on my system and dont seem to have a problem,could it be the ''greyed out'' option above the CS3(edit in photoshop)
that isn't being recognised,maybe a preference setting?
Sorry cant really help a lot..

Actually, you have helped a lot. It appears that LR5.4 only gives you the option to output to 1 version of PS. Checked my preferences and it had defaulted to CS3. Works fine now. (y)

Still doesn't reslve the HDR Efex issue but at least I can output to PS and do it there now.

For the HDR Efex issue, I think you have to import the edited image back into LR as a new image. You can set LR to automatically import, but dragons be thar!

For the HDR Efex issue, I think you have to import the edited image back into LR as a new image. You can set LR to automatically import, but dragons be thar!

It used to do it automatically before I updated to 5.4. How do you set it to do that? I could see anything in preferences.

From the Auto-Import option, I have the option to set up a "watched folder" that it auto imports from. Tethered Shooting is a different option under the file menu for me.

From the Auto-Import option, I have the option to set up a "watched folder" that it auto imports from. Tethered Shooting is a different option under the file menu for me.

Yes, I have the option to set up a watched folder (which is what I use for tethered shooting) but what does that do for HDR Efex?

Yes, I have the option to set up a watched folder (which is what I use for tethered shooting) but what does that do for HDR Efex?

When you have finished creating your HDR, save it that folder and Lightroom will import it automatically so you can view and edit further in Lightroom. I use Photomatix, but I think it works the same. I don't use auto import, though. I import manually.

(My wife wants to know what/who your Avatar eyeball belongs to.)

Last edited:
When you have finished creating your HDR, save it that folder and Lightroom will import it automatically so you can view and edit further in Lightroom. I use Photomatix, but I think it works the same. I don't use auto import, though. I import manually.

(My wife wants to know what/who your Avatar eyeball belongs to.)

Ah, get what you mean now. No, HDR Efex doesn't give you the option to choose were to save to as it is supposed to save the tiff file back into the original folder in Lightroom.

The eyeball is mine. ;)

Updated to the cloud in December,; only just having this issue now.

Actually, you have helped a lot. It appears that LR5.4 only gives you the option to output to 1 version of PS. .

Sorry, but that's not true.

I can output to CC and CS6.. both work

FUb3pfs.jpg

Photoshop.exe in the list is CS6.

Just to add.. I'm using 5.4 as well.

Here's mine. Mine has CS6 as additional and CC as main.

ELh5Zge.jpg

Last edited:
Hope that sorts it for you :)

It did David. I had a recent clear out of the Mac and managed to delete CS3. I don't use it but it's nice to now it's there just in case I ever want to unsubscribe from CC.

Still bemused regarding HDR Efex though

Do you not need to put a tick in the "Stack with original" box?

Give that man a Crackerjack pencil. Interestingly, I then tried unticking it and it still worked. How this stuff works will always be a mystery to me but at least it's now working. Thanks Alan.

Hehe. thanks Marc. you learn something new everyday
I didnt know Lightroom had an "edit with" option. :ty:

Oh & glad you got your conundrum sorted ;)

Interesting how you both have different colour space settings :thinking:

Why? You set what you need. I output to print a lot, and always output to Adobe RGB1998 as it's a wider colour gamut. I output separate sRGB versions for web. Marc may only output to web, or have a printer that has a specific need for sRGB. There's no right or wrong... you set when you need.

Indeed I do mainly only output for web. I don't even own a printer at the moment. If I ever need prints, I get them done elsewhere.

Back