Studio lighting for beginners

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I am building my business as a lifestyle/events and wedding photographer, but I also want to bring in business by shooting some indoor portraits. This won't be my main business but its a nice to have on my website I think.

Can you recommend a set of lights I should be looking at ranging about £300-500 or possibly a package with a white/gray backdrop and softboxes.

Scott.

www.edwardmorgan-photography.com

Not sure if you have found your answer to this but. Find Garry Edwards on here he has great information and knowledge and could offer you some good advice for startup configurations.

Go along to the photography show, you'll be able to compare all the major brands and you don't have to wait long.

Scott, I would advise getting training first and then decide what you are going to do. The images you show on your site show a lack of knowledge of light first. Training would be the one thing that could bring in better business. And as you increase business you will gain more knowledge and money to buy the kit you need.

£3-500 is a bit on the low side for studio flash. An elinchrom Elinchrom D-Lite kit would probably fit the bill. The problem is, at your budget you're looking at very low powered heads, which will limit what you can shoot to some extent.

I would avoid the Chinese no-brand kit that you see on ebay/amazon etc. I know not everybody agrees with this sentiment, but in a commercial environment you want something you can depend on, something you can get spares for and something that it completely safe. Chinese kit is getting better, but I'd not risk my business on it.

Back