Sunley electronics

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Hi has anybody used this company as I found good prices for canon lens .I have asked them if they were grey imports and the reply was Canon uk stock and all of the very expensive Canon lenses are sold with a worldwide warranty but still over 1k cheaper than wex.

Prior to returning an item please notify us via email and we will supply details of the returns address local to you.

From their terms and conditions. Apart from the pidgin English which grammar that would shame a Bulgarian peasant I think that gives it away. Why would a UK company, selling UK stock, need to give you a local address to return too?

There are other red flags - they will probably be alright, and I don't see your problem with grey imports. You have the consumer credit act to fall back on, and even debit card chargebacks. So you can't really lose... Just don't expect UK stock.

How about asking them for a VAT receipt. Claim to be VAT registered. They are selling expensive products so will surely be VAT registered if they are legit...

Last edited:
You have the consumer credit act to fall back on, and even debit card chargebacks. So you can't really lose... Just don't expect UK stock.

be aware that if they use a third party to process card transactions - like world pay, googlecheckout, paypal etc (as nearly all do) you protection will be non existent and you can lose your shirt

also if its suspiciously cheap and they are claiming uk stock it could also be a fraudulent site harvesting card details.

i'd give it the swerve personally , and if you must buy grey go to either Hdew or kerso

be aware that if they use a third party to process card transactions - like world pay, googlecheckout, paypal etc (as nearly all do) you protection will be non existent and you can lose your shirt

also if its suspiciously cheap and they are claiming uk stock it could also be a fraudulent site harvesting card details.

i'd give it the swerve personally , and if you must buy grey go to either Hdew or kerso

That site claims to be able to process card payments directly... You are correct about them collecting card details though, however most of their prices seem pretty reasonable.

Another thing is that if you use paypal etc, it actually does not take away your consumer protection! The consumer credit act is pretty clear about this, banks will try and fob you off, but if you go as far as the ombudsman you will win. I don't think anyone want's all the hassle though.

I have no problem with grey imports. You are buying products created in a different continent afterall. I know people talk about warrenty etc... However if a UK distributor sold at the price grey do, and said we can sell you an average warranty for x amount would you... I certainly think the savings are worthwhile.

Ultimately that website looks as dodgy as sin to me, I certainly would not buy though them.

Advertising the Canon 3D as coming soon, odd to have it as a product.

The Canon 3D has been 'coming soon' for 10 years.

Another thing is that if you use paypal etc, it actually does not take away your consumer protection! The consumer credit act is pretty clear about this, banks will try and fob you off, but if you go as far as the ombudsman you will win. I don't think anyone want's all the hassle though.

no - you are wrong about this - see here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#exceptions if you pay through third parties you do not have section 75 protection

you do retain the other protections of the CCA but sect 75 is the biggie and you don't have thsat paying through paypal, googlecheckout, etc

Ordered a lens but then found a few reviews that made me worry (should have done more research before ordering). Tried to cancel the morning after placing the order. Their phone number connects you to a voice mail that is full. They did reply to e-mails while the payment was being processed but ignored my requests to provide a number that I could contact them at. Now that the money has left my account they have stopped answering my e-mails. Hopefully my foolishness can save others from making the same mistake.

I ordered a Fuji XE-1 from Sunley on 30 September. Today, a week later, it was delivered to my door. No complaints at all with their service. Peter

Am I missing something here? Sunley Electronis list an address in Burton On Trent and a UK number at the top of their site. Anyone near Burton who could take a shufti?

Last edited:
the burton address is (IIRC) a post resante shared with several other companies - i'd suspect that plea is confusing them with an electronic company who just happen to be in sunley (either that or its shills law)

I just looked on street view - I was wrong its not a post resante (i'm thinking of a different burton address) , it is instead a private close of residential houses and flats - street view doesn't actually go down the close , but you can see that there are no warehouses or offices down there from the end

there is however a company called 'grant electronics' operating from the same address and a company called Duncan redpath ltd (the latter is alledgedly a web design business , although their own website is extremely basic)

Tbh i'd be inclined to give the whole thing a major swerve

Last edited:
I did the same thing, and I called the number earlier. Got 'message box full'. Hard to believe a properly run company wouldn't clear their message box regularly.

It really isn't looking good, is it?

Made several more attempts to contact them by e-mail. No reply. Asked them to send a number that I could phone them on. No reply. Did some digging. They seem to also trade as KamKorda and GE Electric on Amazon. Grants Electronics (.co.uk). Websites hosted by people who allow you to remain anonymous. If you look at Google and Amazon to see how you might warn others it is not easy to do so all that I can do is share my experience and hope that the word gets around and maybe they will eventually have to go out and get a real job.

A thread here on another site dating back 9 months when the same address and telephone number was calling itself 'Spilsbury House'.

Similarly on that thread brand new posters added their comments on how they had received their goods no problem.

Last edited:
Similarly on that thread brand new posters added their comments on how they had received their goods no problem.

good ole shills law ... personally i don't get why people like that don't realise they are actually damaging the credibility of the company not helping them

Wouldn't touch with someone else's bargepole.
They're using the classic scammers trick of hiding 'contact' details in images, no T&Cs, and the site design generally stinks.

About the only good thing I can see is that the server is physically located in the UK, and even that's pretty much irrelevant.

Avoid at all costs IMHO.

I ordered a Fuji XE-1 from Sunley on 30 September. Today, a week later, it was delivered to my door. No complaints at all with their service. Peter

what a coincidence. 1st post on this forum

:runaway::LOL:

First post on the forum and, 10 days later, still his only one. It's almost as if he joined up specifically to say something about Sunley Electronics. Now why would anyone do that???

Back