SX50 does 2400mm - handheld

Edit My Images
No
Shot with the SX50 at 2400mm (full frame equiv) and hand held from around 500 feet. The pic is nothing special but I am amazed at the detail that can be captured from that distance on a sensor that is just 1/4" on the longest side.
Both shots taken from the same place at the same bird. 2400mm (full frame equiv) is got by shooting at the max optical of 1200mm and using the built-in 2x digital converter.
The first shot is a wide angle view (27mm full frame equiv) with a arrow marking the bird, the second shots is the 2400mm one.

land1_zps29e5a697.jpg

SX50 - 1/320 sec, f6.5, ISO 200 hand held - cropped for composition
corm1_zps44c73170.jpg

Last edited:
Now thats showing off...you and the bird......:LOL: :) ;)

Keith (y)

Impressive stuff , the feather detail is very good

How is getting 2400 full frame equivalent? All the reviews indicate that 50x with the sensor is actually 44-1200? Thats an excellent hand held result though.

How is getting 2400 full frame equivalent? All the reviews indicate that 50x with the sensor is actually 44-1200? Thats an excellent hand held result though.
I have explained in the text how you reach 2400mm - "2400mm (full frame equiv) is got by shooting at the max optical of 1200mm and using the built-in 2x digital converter"

Last edited:
I just glanced at the images without reading the blurb first and nearly choked on my tea as I thought the 2nd was a crop from the first.

Great results though.

Impressive Roy, I may consider getting one of these for myself for use as record shots......I often carry two lots of cameras around, one more won't hurt...

Haha I have one of these brilliant little camera too and they are fantastic aren't they ?

You've just cost me £300+, Mrs B want's one now after seeing this :bang:

Now Roy you are just showing off ;) thats better than I get at twenty feet :(:D

it is impressive at that distance (y)

I think that bit of kit could save you a few bob in entrance fee`s to any bird reserves Roy :LOL: great work!!

I am guessing that the camera can zoom in a huge amount, but that the results are a complete waste of time, is that it?

And I am guessing that if you cannot afford a full frame camera and a 800mm prime it is a good trade off (y) Regards the end result being a waste of time, are you asking me or telling me? :shrug:

Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning!

Impressive stuff. Technology has moved on so much in the last few years. This is a fantastic demonstration of it. And a great demonstration of steady hands!

Fairly impressive, but what's the point exactly?
The point is that for anyone who does not want to lug around one of the big birding lenses then this little lightweight walkabout may fit the bill. I have had a couple of big whites in the past but got completely pee'd off lugging them around.
Another big advantage for me is that I can snap a few birds while out on a walk without disturbing them - I never have shot from hides or managed reserves but just get my shots as and when an opportunity arises.

These days I often take my DSLR Cam on a black rapid strap with a landscape or macro lens attached but also just have the little SX50 around my neck for any birds that may come around.

I see that you have a 800/5.6 what to heck is the point of lugging around something like that!!!!! why not just have a little 300/2.8 and use some field craft?
BTW I will guarantee that you will not be so keen on lugging around something like the 800/5.6 when you get to my age!

Last edited:
In case anyone missed the earlier post here are a few more but taken at just 1800mm (full frame equiv), all hand held.

swallow2_1800mm_zpsaed2ea9c.jpg

linnet2_zps8ce7b193.jpg

stone4_zps034cb47b.jpg

Last edited:
BTW I will guarantee that you will not be so keen on lugging around something like the 800/5.6 when you get my age!

Know exactly how you feel as opportunist bird snapper my 300F4 and 1.4 is sometimes a pain in the arse.

Roy
I'm very impressed with the quality of the pix produced from this camera ... WOW :clap:
so much so I ordered one yesterday (£259.07 inc. insured 3/5 day delivery)
don't tell her in doors though :D
I do have a Canon 400mm and 2x extender but this will come in very handy ;)

UPDATE
ordered on Wednesday 29th at 3.30pm, delivered all the way from Hong Kong on Friday 31st 2.15pm ... FANTASTIC service and a great price
now to unbox and have a play with it :)

Last edited:
hmm, just a thought why don't they make a birding 'compact' - say 500-1200mm equiv zoom or even smaller range. That way the optical IQ will be a lot better and perhaps more compact. Perhaps at least 1/1.5 CMOS too. I hope some big company will come to sense

btw - any good in anything but bright tropical midday sun? I think we've already have this year's sun allowance in Bristol :) :LOL:

Hi Roy
I've no idea how old you are, but I'm 38 and loathe lugging the large whites around even now. On that you and I are in complete agreement.
However....
1) I see a massive amount of rubbish from bridge cameras masquerading as wildlife photography
1a) Most of this appears to be using fairly extreme zoom, or fairly extreme cropping
2) If your 300mm example held weight, then 1a) above would not be true as everyone would be able to get close and not need to use 1800mm etc
2b) For birds, focal length is key, and for the normal user with normal amounts of time (ie the vast majority of us), no amount of fieldraft is going to mean that you can get away with something as short as 300mm. It is just too short, especially in the UK.
3) I remember seeing your work with SLRs posted on BirdForum, and I liked it.
3b) I would bin all three of the images above as they just don't cut it.
4) As Kaz says, if it allows people to take something rather than nothing, then clearly that is a good thing and I have no problem with that. I can fully understand that enjoyment is key. However see point 1).

Regards
Jonathan

Sorry point 3b is not exactly constructive, I apologise. For a tiny tiny and inexpensive camera I agree that for 1800mm in 35mm terms, and handheld, the results are pretty extraordinary. All three are soft and noisy, which is why for me they don't go very far, but that you got anything at all is amazing. If I picked one up I doubt very much I could get anything like that and you're definitely pushing the boundaries of what can be done, but at the end of the day there is unfortunately no such thing as a free lunch.
Jonathan

Hi Roy
I've no idea how old you are, but I'm 38 and loathe lugging the large whites around even now. On that you and I are in complete agreement.
However....
1) I see a massive amount of rubbish from bridge cameras masquerading as wildlife photography
1a) Most of this appears to be using fairly extreme zoom, or fairly extreme cropping
2) If your 300mm example held weight, then 1a) above would not be true as everyone would be able to get close and not need to use 1800mm etc
2b) For birds, focal length is key, and for the normal user with normal amounts of time (ie the vast majority of us), no amount of fieldraft is going to mean that you can get away with something as short as 300mm. It is just too short, especially in the UK.
4) As Kaz says, if it allows people to take something rather than nothing, then clearly that is a good thing and I have no problem with that. I can fully understand that enjoyment is key. However see point 1).

Regards
Jonathan
Jonathan,
For info I am 70 and lugging around a big white is not an option for me any more (I sold my 300/2.8 over a year ago and have also got rid of my 400/5.6). I have never been remotely interested in one of the 500/600 or 800 lenses as they do not suit my style which is walking long distances and getting my shots as and when opportunities occur. Sitting around in a hide would bore me to tears after 5 minutes :LOL:

The users who use these little cams tend to fall into different groups, with the vast majority being people who have no experience whatsoever with DSLR's and , yes, most of what they post is utter garbage. They have not got a clue how to use a Camera and most just use the fully auto settings, mention Ev comp and they are totally flummoxed!! BUT at the end of the day as long as they enjoy it and are pleased with their results that is all that matters!

There are also an increasing number of experienced DSLR user's who also have a little superzoom as a lightweight walkabout when they do not want to take along the DSLR gear. I find it handy to take along when I am shooting macro or landscapes with my DSLR.
Another group who are finding these little cams very handy are birders who just want record shots, they are finding them a lot better/easier than digiscoping.

Another reason why I am liking this little cam is that you do not have to get near and disturb the birds - I shoot exclusively from public footpaths.
After years of shooting birds with a DSLR myself I now conclude that the in my experience the majority of 'bird photographers' these days seem to act very irresponsibly and will do almost anything to get the shot, I am very much in the birders camp these days!!!.
When I started bird photography about 10 years ago really nice bird shots were few and far between but nowadays with Digital and so many people having decent big lenses that really good shots are '10 a penny'.

I am under no illusion's as to what is a good bird shot and have said time and time again that these little cam's are certainly not up to a decent DSLR set-up. I have never claimed anything else but I am still very impressed with what you can get out of these sub £300 cameras (especially when shooting optical range only in RAW)

BTW HERE is a sample of some of my DSLR work, all taken with a 300/2.8 (with converters) or the 400/5.6. I do not claim that they are anything more than average but I hope that they do show that I know a little about bird photography! I have always considered myself a walker who takes along a Camera.

I will resist making any comments on your birds images other than to say that all these things are subjective - 'one man's meat is another man's poison'. You have some cracking birds on there.

Last edited:
Hi Roy
However....

Regards
Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,
Why do you feel the need to be so "rude" I like most use a bridge camera, mine is a Nikon P510, and I get vast enjoyment using it, i do no as you put it masquerade as a wildlife photoographer, nor would i want to.....I also enjoy reading Roy C reports, so perhaps there is a place for common curticy.

Regards
Dave

Back